• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Reliable

Informative post, but not shocking news to many of us who have a track record of Japanese bikes prior to our BMW experience.

I've owned or ridden professionally: Suzuki's, Harley-Davidson's and Honda's - Honda's simply walked away with all manner of 'reliability awards' without ever breaking a sweat, so to speak.

BMW brought some history, styling and features to the party that have been a joy to experience, but reliability wasn't one of them - hence the dissatisfaction across a broad spectrum of objective polling.

My hope is that in years to come they move up in the rankings. :german

The 'how and why' of that goal could be debated infinitum.

Last edited:
Statistics are interesting to think about, but they are big picture things, not specific things. I, too, like to hear about stuff like this. And, yes, I worry about the future reliability of my BMW. And my Ford Escape. And the new roof on my house. And lots of other stuff.

I have had years and years of reliable use from all my cars, some were models near the bottom of any reliability lists. And all of my motorcycles, be they Hondas or the current BMW, have run wonderfully w/o undue reliability issues. Maybe I am just lucky for 60+ years.

IMO, my experience in owning various brands, lots of Hondas, a few Yamahas, a Bultaco, a Maico, 3 Hodakas, and 3 BMW's.

Without exception, the Japanese bikes were the most reliable and trouble free. European bikes had some "history" but also were constantly in need of repairing.

I have had the same experience with cars. Hondas and Toyotas were by far the most relaible and trouble free.

However, the German cars I have had, were in constant need of attention, and were very expensive to repair if repairs could not be done by me.

BMW motorcycles are a joy to own, because for me, I love the tinkering attention that they need. I enjoy working on mine almost as much as I like riding it. But working on it is only pleasurable when I get the satisfaction of my work being successful and it yields an enjoyable, trouble-free ride!

So far. . . .? Yes (knock on wood).

I have had the same experience with cars. Hondas and Toyotas were by far the most relaible and trouble free.

However, the German cars I have had, were in constant need of attention, and were very expensive to repair if repairs could not be done by me.

Actually, Jimmy, a lot has changed in the last 40 years!:brow

I give them credit for emphasizing up front how important a maintenance mind set is to a bike's reliability. I know that's preaching to the choir in this crowd but consumer reports is aimed at a more general audience. Folks who might think that bikes are like cars; you just get on them and go. I think the Japanese products have the advantage of MUCH greater numbers produced. Greater numbers means greater reliability...generally.

This is a "how reliable do you think your xxxx is?" type survey.

In other words, subjective impressions of reliability compared to objective data regarding X failures per 1,000 units, for example. But what the heck - it sells magazines and makes folks feel good, or bad depending.

Not that I doubt that other machines are thought to be more reliable by folks, or that BMWs in fact might be less reliable than a Yugo or Pinto. I personally think that nothing is more reliable than a K75 and nothing is less reliable than my F650 Dakar.

So far this month the themes on this Forum have been dissatisfaction with the ON, dissatisfaction with MOA, dissastisfaction with local clubs, dissatisfaction with BMW AG, dissatisfaction with BMW Motorrad USA, dissatisfaction with the Forum, dissatisfaction with the moderators of the Forum, and dissatisfaction with BMW motorcycles.

Since it is about 70F out right now I think I'll go break something on my unreliable bike.

Man, after reading this I realized how lucky I was. My 2005 R1200GS has never had a driveshaft failure, oil leaks, alternator belt break (replaced it @ 65k miles) or any of the other myriad problems that are endemic to BMW motorcycles. I must have the only trouble free one there is. :groovy

So far this month the themes on this Forum have been dissatisfaction with the ON, dissatisfaction with MOA, dissastisfaction with local clubs, dissatisfaction with BMW AG, dissatisfaction with BMW Motorrad USA, dissatisfaction with the Forum, dissatisfaction with the moderators of the Forum, and dissatisfaction with BMW motorcycles.

Since it is about 70F out right now I think I'll go break something on my unreliable bike.

It's all really dissatisfaction with the weather. Most of us can't ride now, and don't have any hope of riding for at least another month. :cry
All this nonsense will go away when the weather breaks.

Well said Mr. Glaves!
Kind of makes one wonder why anyone owns a BMW, belongs to this club, or even bothers to read this forum.

Ken

It's all really dissatisfaction with the weather. Most of us can't ride now, and don't have any hope of riding for at least another month. :cry
All this nonsense will go away when the weather breaks.

Ah ha! So it is a symptom of weather induced malaise rather than the expression of intelectual honesty and integrity? I see.

I have a Yamaha and 5 Beemers sitting in the shop covering both ends of the supposed reliability spectrum. Sometimes when I walk into the shop I catch the tail end of the FJR mocking the Beemers.

This is why many say BMW stands for Bi+@h Moan Whine

To keep things in perspective, all brands have their issues. A member on another forum just had his FJR's subframe self-destruct at speed. Turns out it is fairly common.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92180

Yes, I saw that post. "Fairly common"?? Do not really know what that means. I've heard the final drive issues with the late model R bikes described as "rampant" and "wide speread" and "common." Yet I've never had one on either of my R bikes, never known a friend who had one and the last year I lived in Fairbanks the Service Manager at the local dealership told me they replaced only one during the summer riding season (they see hundreds of travelers each summer). My R12R has nearly 40K on it and has not been to a dealership since the 600 mile service. But just to be sure, I've begun running Yamalube products in the Beemers. I'm "Fairly Confident" that using a more reliable oil will straighten out the BMWs.

I'm on a couple of FJR fora and being manmade the FJR has systemic problems, but owners seem to love them and the discussions are overwhelmingly about riding, farkling and maintaining. The FJR posters are certainly not as grumpy and argumentative as some have been on this forum lately. (Sorta like I'm being on this response I suppose :thumb)

"Fairly common"?? Do not really know what that means.

Fairly common - It happens often enough that the subframe failure is well documented along with specific fixes and the community has a resident expert who performs this specific repair.

Anybody who uses anything man-made in form of equipment, appliance or vehicle and expects it to be "reliable" (or without failure) is holding on to a short rope.

Back