• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What items have you dodged or hit on your commute?

Three Sets of Eyeballs in the Dark

Was Riding My 08' LT to work last Fall to Waterloo, Iowa, around 5AM, saw a line of Eyeballs in my Lane.

Came up closer, and Much to my Surprise, there is a Skunk Family waitng for me.

You can bet I Dodged That!

Donn

One light touch, one dodge

On my KTM LC4 dualsport on a rural 1.5 lane road, a large brown object came flying out of the woods on my right in the low light of early morning. It was moving fast and I slid a little to the right to go behind it - just a little, not much time. I felt a shake in the bars and watched the fender bounce as it glanced one of the last pieces of brown to go by. As I looked left, I saw the white tail of the deer and realized I was really, really lucky.

At a similar time of day on an '85 Suzuki GS500E I was riding down a 2 lane state route when the oncoming headlights went from 2 to 4 with 2 of them being in my lane. The driver coming at me who had decided to pass a semi didn't have time to get back in his lane and I didn't have time to stop so I used the berm. Thankfully it was paved and pretty clean so I only got a little movement from a bit of gravel as we went by each other 3 wide on a 2 lane road.

It was just freakin' nutz

I live in California's Central San Joaquin Valley- AG is like 25 billion dollar industry here. I was on my way to work and had just got on to the 99 freeway by Selma. I changed lanes a fair distance behind a truck who was hauling what looked like recently harvested walnuts. As soon as I pulled in his lane, I started getting pelted by walnuts. The trucker had not covered their trailer and the walnuts were being blown off the top of his load and on to the freeway at 70 miles an hour. Dodged what I could- they hit my wind screen, helmet, legs and shoulder- I was on my older bike- a Kawasaki Versys- that lacked allot protection. I was thankful, however, that I did have Barkbuster hand guards installed- would not have wanted to take a walnut to the knuckle. Anyway, got around quick and avoided anything too serious.

Driftin along with the tumblin' tumbleweeds

Was headed west through Salt Lake City on what started as a beautiful morning in June several years ago; going through the Salt Lake a front blew up out of the North and soon Tumbleweeds were rolling and bouncing across the Interstate from north to south. At first it was fun, rolling on and off the throttle to avoid them, trying to not hit the brakes and just anticipate the "slots". The wind got stronger and stronger, the weed more and more numerous; eventually there were LOTS of BIG tumbleweeds 4 to 6 ft in diameter and they became impossible to completely avoid hitting. Tumbleweeds have these "giant Velcro thorns" that do NOT feel good and they seemed to like to hang up between the engine case and the forks, although they do kind of break up (eventually). Got in behind a couple of truckers, but lost them when we came up on the low-lying "barrel cloud" with small hail that crossed the highway just east of Wendover UT/NV and I had to slow down. Fortunately it was only about ten miles of the pea-sized hail until "first available" motel room, which I gladly rented. The weatherman on TV told me those cross winds had topped out at 78 MPH.

Your supposed to harvest the weed before it becomes all brown and weird Steve :jose

om

Nuthin' but sticks and stems in that mess:violin

seems they were not native plants...until showing up n S. Dakota in 1870's in a flaxseed shipment..they thought..they have been blowing southward ever since:banghead
First time we came across them, was a bit caught off guard right before a big storm on the plains... saw them jumping over the barbed wire along a highway!

I was following Paul a bit too close, and he was following a truck a bit too close. The truck straddled a dead, fresh, smashed & scattered beyond belief Armadillo, and I ran right thru the middle of it. That mess was all over the legs of my riding pants! At least it was fresh :laugh.

A bird smacked me in the helmet once. So hard it pushed the helmet back on my head. The bird came out of the tall grass on the side of the road and there was no time to react. It did impress on me the importance of wearing a helmet.

Objects would be:
  • a flying kitchen table (old Chrome table) from an oncoming vehicle. Hit my left rear signal light (Vancouver, BC)
  • full-sized mattress flew off a truck 2 vehicles in front of me. just missed it.(I-95 outside Boston)

Critters :
  • large June bug hit just above the visor while going 90 mph. Almost knocked me off the back of the bike
  • had a robin hit me in the throat. Fortunately, I was only going about 45-50 mph and it was flying across my path. Had it been coming straight at me I would have had a very unsanitary tracheotomy.

Hit plenty of other things with 4-wheeled vehicles, but those are the most memorable on 2 wheels.

Hit

A chevy dually pickup kicked up a 4-inch diameter, 15 to 18 inch long piece of metal pipe. I was behind the truck by about 20 yards at about 70 mph. The pipe bumped once and then straight into my headlight assembly. The pipe fell off the left side of the bike. The heavy plastic lens absorbed almost all of the energy. A 4-inch hole was punched in the lens and the left low beam was not working. Several of the panels and the left mirror cover were scratched or dented.

A truck had a bed, mattress and box spring in the back.

Under a bridge over pass all came flying out into my lane. I dodged the mattress, but ran over the box spring. I hit the throttle which raised (lightened) the front wheel. My new'ish BMW GSA kept itself and me upright. A 'little skill/training and a whole lot of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very fortunate Greg, a mattress is bad enough, but a box spring creates an even worse obstacle. I suspect it gave you significant pause for thought and reflection. Guess you built up some good karma. ;-)

I had a hub cap kicked up from under car in front of me running at 75 mph hit my bike, skip up and miss my neck by inches. Scary carp. There was a wall in my left and a truck on my right, no where to go.

Then there was the giant elk in Nevada in US 50....

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Caught a jackrabbit once, commuting from school back to my home (many, MANY years ago). Those suckers are huge. More recently I dodged a 6x6 that was perpendicular to my line of travel. It was a tense moment, as I was in the middle lane of 3, crossing Missionary Ridge in Chattanooga on I-75. Oh, yes, it was raining. Still not sure how I missed it, but somehow I did. And the most recent -- heading down I-20/59 to Tuscaloosa, a pickup passed me. A ladder was bouncing in the back. As the pickup passed, the ladder bounced out and went spinning across the interstate right in front of me.

Be careful out there! Especially this time of year, when it gets dark earlier, it's colder than comfortable, and our reflexes are slower!

Caught a jackrabbit once, commuting from school back to my home (many, MANY years ago). Those suckers are huge. More recently I dodged a 6x6 that was perpendicular to my line of travel. It was a tense moment, as I was in the middle lane of 3, crossing Missionary Ridge in Chattanooga on I-75. Oh, yes, it was raining. Still not sure how I missed it, but somehow I did. And the most recent -- heading down I-20/59 to Tuscaloosa, a pickup passed me. A ladder was bouncing in the back. As the pickup passed, the ladder bounced out and went spinning across the interstate right in front of me.

Be careful out there! Especially this time of year, when it gets dark earlier, it's colder than comfortable, and our reflexes are slower!

Sounds like Interstates need to be avoided! :eek
A 6X6 is a very formidable opponent...glad that went well.

We both moved around a ladder sideways in our lane last week...you never know.

Back