• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What items have you dodged or hit on your commute?

I actually miss my commuting days...the riding part, not the working part:D

Had a 25 mile one way which ended with a typical 50-100 at the end of day as I got off work at 3:30.Started rural and ended up in town.

I got broadsided by a deer leaving my neighborhood before sunrise...we both left the scene that morning as it bounced off me and I did not have to Lay'er down:nono and when I got to work I noticed the big mess on my left pant leg and boot...deer-poo

Had to dodge a roll of A/C ducting at about 70MPH one day as well. There was always something blowing out of the many contractors trucks when I neared my office. Rolls of roofing nails, framing nail clips and sheet metal screws were always at intersections in the debris field.

Weirdest one was the large dump truck leaving a construction site on a three lane artery. I had just had a set of tires mounted( before I got my No-Mar) on my RT. As the truck in the right lane got up to speed and me in the center lane, a softball sized rock came out between the trucks duals. I saw it in slow motion and went where it was not going...until it took a football bounce and ended up right under my front wheel. I didn't try to make a major move due to the new tires. The tire unseated from the bead yet I was able to whoa down from about 35mph and pull over. The rim was bent and no chance of riding any further. Called H to bring the truck/trailer.

Years ago I was commuting to work on I75, downtown Dayton, when a huge empty wooden telephone-line-spools (the kind you make picnic tables out of) rolled off the truck in front of me, hit the pavement and continued to roll straight down it's lane. I moved over a lane and passed it and the truck, the guys in the truck were laughing hilariously.

Northern Virginia

Multiple Prius. Driver only hybrids are allowed in the HOV3 here. Either being alone in the cage makes them inattentive, or they figure everyone else needs to look out for them since they are saving the planet. No other hybrids have made potentially lethal lane changes.

2011 R1200RT

Last edited:
Multiple Prius. Driver only hybrids are allowed in the HOV3 here. Either being alone in the cage makes them inattentive, or they figure everyone else needs to look out for them since they are saving the planet. No other hybrids have made potentially lethal lane changes.

2011 R1200RT
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

I had just pulled out from home on my 77 R100RS from the rural side road onto the main road into Welland Ontario.It was a very windy day and I tucked in behind a small pickup truck to get a break from the fierce winds off the quarter.The truck I was following seemed rickety and the plastic bed liner in the back was moving around with the oscillation of the wind, suddenly the bed liner picked up and was vaulted into the air. I lost sight of it from my full face helmet and my instinct told me to duck down behind my RS fairing. It seemed liked only seconds past when I heard the bed liner land with a bang behind me. I caught the sight of it in my mirrors and wondered how close it had landed to my bike, I stopped for a coffee to settle my nerves.

Last edited:
One of those orange 5 gallon water jugs fell off a truck and was bouncing end over end down the road at me. That was a great way to start the day.

One of those orange 5 gallon water jugs fell off a truck and was bouncing end over end down the road at me. That was a great way to start the day.

Seems to be the lids of those same orange Gott coolers I have dodged more than once...then went and checked my crews line trucks to make sure it wasn't one of ours as I pulled in to work.:uhoh

A few years back Annie and were riding south on the Richardson Hwy in Alaska. Annie was leading and following a Suburban pulling a trailer loaded with canoes and kayaks. A canoe gently slid off the trailer and stayed in our lane. Annie was able to avoid it but it was a close encounter. The Suburban stopped and we did as well, intending to burn off some adrenalin released by the scare. Turned out that the driver was a coworker of Annie's which defused the situation.

I just barely dodged a black bear on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was only about eight miles from joining up with the Skyline Drive when the black bear ran out in front of me moving from my right to my left. After hard braking I barely (excuse the pun) missed it while staying in my lane. I found myself in the wrong gear all of a sudden and was rolling in my lane at the same pace as the bear in what was the oncoming lane.

While it seemed like minutes I'm sure it was only seconds. I could hear the bear breathing hard and also the sound of his paw pads and nails on the pavement. It then turned left off the roadway back into the forest. This was probably in the late 90's when I had my 95 R1100GS.

Dodged a piano crate ... in the middle lane of the interstate in rush hour traffic in Chattonooga, TN.

In another incident I was riding across 70 heading west in Kansas to visit a friend in Denver. It had been a hot day and the night was cooling down nicely. I had decided to ride until about 10:00 PM. I could see lightning in the distance but it seemed far enough away and as it was only 8:30 PM I didn't figure on running into a storm.

At about 9:00 PM a flock of ducks flew up from the median strip of the interstate across my path from my left to my right. One of them didn't make it and flew under my left arm and got caught between the gas tank and the windshield. While it was flapping its wings wildly I carefully took my left hand of the grip, put it on the ducks butt and lifted it up and away into the wind flow above the windshield.

At that point I decided to just pull over at the next exit with a hotel. I was on my 89 K100RS/SE so it was probably 1991 or there about.

Speaking of birds.... I was on my way home with one stop sign to go and as I approached a small stream that goes under the road I looked to my left to see a crane coming in for a landing. I tracked it's path and in a split second surmised that it's track would cross mine. With no time to stop or slow down I ducked as low as I could and the crane's feet ticked the top of my helmet as it went by. Time to stop for a beer!

I have no idea what I hit.

I wear ATGATT even when we get some blistering hot days. This past summer I was on my way to do a little side job for a friend and decided an early morning bit of a boo was needed for some cerebral well being. It was a beautiful morning. It could have been a line out of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Just into a twisty along the river, "SMACK" off my left foot. It was a stinger too. Shook off the sting and the buzz, no problem I'm thinking.

Get to my buddy's, try to use my left foot for the side stand. WTF!!.

Put my left foot on the gravel thinking that I still got the buzz. I'll just hold the bike up and use my right foot for the stand. No big deal, right?

I think I made a sound like a dog that just got smacked by a rolled up newspaper. Some people will swear on an oath I sounded like a teenager that just saw there first zit. After balancing the bike on one foot, help was pretty quick to come. Comments followed. I should have let the bike fall on me.

In my own defense, I will say I might have sounded less masculine than I should have after seeing the schmutz and dead crap all over the side of my clean two-wheeler. To this day, I maintain I'm a tough old bastard and I don't cry. It was getting my boots dirty and needing to scrape dead crap off my bike that made me sound like a cat with it's tail caught in a door. Those were tears of joy from having a spectacular, "Zen" like ride.

Broke my little toe. The bruise was a good one. I wouldn't let the ER girl, who I thought could be my next wife, cut my boots off. Since I'm kinda of a horny old toad, she got her way. My brain was not really doing a lot of thinking for me at the time.

She is beautiful and I'm dating her now. I will report on our progress in the future as long as she doesn't find out what I'm really like. I got her hooked on bikes. She loves to be a passenger and she is just learning to ride herself.

Now, the story of my adventure has become an urban legend with my friends. It is the truth and I can man-up and say that a broken little piggy hurts almost as much as a broken nose but still a long way from child-birth. I'm a big, tough, short, fat, bald guy and still maintain child-birth is a woman's right to tell us that we really are sissy's.

I'm good with that. I love my kids and I love the wonderful lady that gave so much of herself to bring my kidlets into the world, and helped me grow up.

Back to the original post, something bounced and sacrificed itself so it could break my little toe and give a nasty bruise and cost me new boots. It then proceeded to spread it's remnants all over the rest off the bike. I still can't get all the little bastard off my bike and I have no idea who/what it was.

Little bastard wins.

A sugar baby

Also known as a flying squirrel. It was late just past dark, speed limit went from 55 to 65 between Daleville Al and Dothan Al on hwy 84. Keeping a sharp eye out for the prolific cager with cell phone and the deer in the headlights I failed to notice the furry projectile high and left making a "bee line" for the bike...BAM!!!!! The whole bike shuddered with the force of the impact. Lodged between the gap created by the adjustable windscreen and the faring, was what looked like the remains of an owl? Because owls are the only birds that fly at night? So, I continued another 29 miles at speed, and eventually came to a red light at Wicksburg across from teasers, yes, that kind of establishment. There were a couple of cars around me at the red light, I put the side stand down and the hazards on to collect the remains of the owl that hit me and check for damage. And that is when to my great surprise I saw the fully intact but very dead flying squirrel lodged in the gap of my windscreen and fairing. I gently removed the body and carried it to the traffic island, said a few words in memory or Rocky as I laid him on the concrete before returning to the bike parked in the road on the now green light by the redneck gentleman's club (yes, an oxy-moron) and continued down 84 to dothan for some non ethanol gas. As I recall on impact I may have made a loud exclamation in reference to the pope defecating.... But I digress what does the pope have in common with rocky the flying squirrel? Surely nothing.

Things flying off the roofs of cars and sailing and fluttering toward you are out of your control, BUT.... If you are constantly running over so many things that appear from under the car in front of you, I think it's time you increased your following distance to give you some time to react. One of these days, that piece of angle iron may not hit your CAT after bouncing from under your front tire, but just might take your foot off at the ankle.

Get to my buddy's, try to use my left foot for the side stand. WTF!!.

Now, the story of my adventure has become an urban legend with my friends. It is the truth and I can man-up and say that a broken little piggy hurts almost as much as a broken nose but still a long way from child-birth. I'm a big, tough, short, fat, bald guy and still maintain child-birth is a woman's right to tell us that we really are sissy's.

I must say that as I was reading about your pain and being unable to use your left foot to hold up the bike, I was expecting you to eventually describe how your lower leg and foot looked like a grenade took bits away. But a broken pinkie toe!? WTF you really ARE a wuss! ;)

And I'm sick and tired hearing how all these women throw the pain of childbirth in our faces and call us wusses. You know, after a woman gives birth, about a year or two later she might say she wants to do it again and have more children. I say getting kicked in the nuts is far worse. Have you ever been kicked in the nuts? Have you ever felt that all numbing, searing pain all the way to your ears? You never ever hear a man say: "You know, I got kicked in the nuts last year and you know what? I'd like to get kicked in the nuts again someday soon..." Case Closed.

Hit a construction barrel at 70 mph

Coming home at 2:00 am a construction barrel was in my lane. I couldn't see it at first because it was laying end wise with the dark end facing me. I saw it at the last minute and swerved but my foot rest on the left side struck the barrel and was ripped off. If I had my foot on there I might have broken my leg.

I just barely dodged a black bear on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was only about eight miles from joining up with the Skyline Drive when the black bear ran out in front of me moving from my right to my left. After hard braking I barely (excuse the pun) missed it while staying in my lane. I found myself in the wrong gear all of a sudden and was rolling in my lane at the same pace as the bear in what was the oncoming lane.

While it seemed like minutes I'm sure it was only seconds. I could hear the bear breathing hard and also the sound of his paw pads and nails on the pavement. It then turned left off the roadway back into the forest. This was probably in the late 90's when I had my 95 R1100GS.

I had the same experience on the Cabot Trail in 2006. Strange but there were only moose signs. I briefly looked down to check my speed, looked up and there was bear galloping across the road, a few yards ahead of me. There were no "Watch for Bear" signs! :laugh

A two square foot piece that remained from a 4x8(ish) sheet of 2" thick rigid foam board. It had come off a flatbed semi that was absolutely stacked with them and went into rush-hour traffic. I did see it, but only fairly close because there was a cluster of roughly 2" piece of foam around it being blown about by traffic, and I decided that going straight over it was the best bet. No damage, unsurprisingly.

I had to duck a buzzard once. On another ride I saw a buzzard's wing clip the trunk of a Goldwing ahead of me.

Years ago, around Binghamton NY, my sweetie hit a crow with her shoulder at 70MPH. Surprisingly, no debris on her.

Back