Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What items have you dodged or hit on your commute?

Large cardboard box for a big chest freezer fell off if truck going opposite direction and slid into
    my lane. Didn't have time to swerve left or right so went straight on thru. Really glad there was nothing in the box. . . Major adrenine rush

Drove over a pair of scissors over on the peninsula...which broke in half and went through the rear tire and cut my speedo and odometer wire.. Luckily I was able to reach a friend and he came with his trailer and got me back home....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Clark
    94 K75s 94K75 standard

Around here the usual stuff is road gators and exhaust system bits mixed with the usual stuff that falls out of contractor pickups and trailers but I have hit none of it on my bikes ever.
    Years ago a ruffed grouse hit me at a little less than 50 mph. That smarts but unless you get hit in the head isn't all that dangerous.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I was riding the GS along back (dirt) roads on my way to work one morning. It was raining lightly. I noticed a flock of wild turkeys in the road ahead of me so slowed way down till they could scoot out of the way. One didn't head for the shoulders, but instead began running straight down the road as I followed at about 5mph. He finally took flight and because he continued in my direction of travel I figured I'd have a little fun. I rolled on the throttle and reached up to pluck a tail feather.

The moment I touched the bird it let loose with the largest, most malodorous turkey poop on the planet. Caught me full on the visor and got into the vents! God did it stink!
    '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Tulliver

http://travelswithbarley.com/

Now I understand why Barley insisted on having his OWN sidecar to ride in :-)
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

I actually miss my commuting days...the riding part, not the working part

Had a 25 mile one way which ended with a typical 50-100 at the end of day as I got off work at 3:30.Started rural and ended up in town.

I got broadsided by a deer leaving my neighborhood before sunrise...we both left the scene that morning as it bounced off me and I did not have to Lay'er down and when I got to work I noticed the big mess on my left pant leg and boot...deer-poo

Had to dodge a roll of A/C ducting at about 70MPH one day as well. There was always something blowing out of the many contractors trucks when I neared my office. Rolls of roofing nails, framing nail clips and sheet metal screws were always at intersections in the debris field.

Weirdest one was the large dump truck leaving a construction site on a three lane artery. I had just had a set of tires mounted( before I got my No-Mar) on my RT. As the truck in the right lane got up to speed and me in the center lane, a softball sized rock came out between the trucks duals. I saw it in slow motion and went where it was not going...until it took a football bounce and ended up right under my front wheel. I didn't try to make a major move due to the new tires. The tire unseated from the bead yet I was able to whoa down from about 35mph and pull over. The rim was bent and no chance of riding any further. Called H to bring the truck/trailer.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Years ago I was commuting to work on I75, downtown Dayton, when a huge empty wooden telephone-line-spools (the kind you make picnic tables out of) rolled off the truck in front of me, hit the pavement and continued to roll straight down it's lane. I moved over a lane and passed it and the truck, the guys in the truck were laughing hilariously.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Northern Virginia

Multiple Prius. Driver only hybrids are allowed in the HOV3 here. Either being alone in the cage makes them inattentive, or they figure everyone else needs to look out for them since they are saving the planet. No other hybrids have made potentially lethal lane changes.

2011 R1200RT
    Last edited by KELSO3; 01-19-2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Forgot bike type

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KELSO3 View Post
    Multiple Prius. Driver only hybrids are allowed in the HOV3 here. Either being alone in the cage makes them inattentive, or they figure everyone else needs to look out for them since they are saving the planet. No other hybrids have made potentially lethal lane changes.

2011 R1200RT
    Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I had just pulled out from home on my 77 R100RS from the rural side road onto the main road into Welland Ontario.It was a very windy day and I tucked in behind a small pickup truck to get a break from the fierce winds off the quarter.The truck I was following seemed rickety and the plastic bed liner in the back was moving around with the oscillation of the wind, suddenly the bed liner picked up and was vaulted into the air. I lost sight of it from my full face helmet and my instinct told me to duck down behind my RS fairing. It seemed liked only seconds past when I heard the bed liner land with a bang behind me. I caught the sight of it in my mirrors and wondered how close it had landed to my bike, I stopped for a coffee to settle my nerves.
    Last edited by Darryl Cainey; 01-19-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: error
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    One of those orange 5 gallon water jugs fell off a truck and was bouncing end over end down the road at me. That was a great way to start the day.
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

Quote Originally Posted by kewlmoose View Post
    One of those orange 5 gallon water jugs fell off a truck and was bouncing end over end down the road at me. That was a great way to start the day.
    Seems to be the lids of those same orange Gott coolers I have dodged more than once...then went and checked my crews line trucks to make sure it wasn't one of ours as I pulled in to work.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

A few years back Annie and were riding south on the Richardson Hwy in Alaska. Annie was leading and following a Suburban pulling a trailer loaded with canoes and kayaks. A canoe gently slid off the trailer and stayed in our lane. Annie was able to avoid it but it was a close encounter. The Suburban stopped and we did as well, intending to burn off some adrenalin released by the scare. Turned out that the driver was a coworker of Annie's which defused the situation.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I just barely dodged a black bear on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was only about eight miles from joining up with the Skyline Drive when the black bear ran out in front of me moving from my right to my left. After hard braking I barely (excuse the pun) missed it while staying in my lane. I found myself in the wrong gear all of a sudden and was rolling in my lane at the same pace as the bear in what was the oncoming lane.

While it seemed like minutes I'm sure it was only seconds. I could hear the bear breathing hard and also the sound of his paw pads and nails on the pavement. It then turned left off the roadway back into the forest. This was probably in the late 90's when I had my 95 R1100GS.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Dodged a piano crate ... in the middle lane of the interstate in rush hour traffic in Chattonooga, TN.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.