Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: What items have you dodged or hit on your commute?

Quote Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
    I dodged a refrigerator spinning across the right two lanes of the tollway today��. What the hell is wrong with you people!!!!?
    You can take some comfort that the dude's wife is going to be really angry about what happened to her refrigerator. That is the same sentiment I have every time I see a lone sofa cushion beside the road. "Somebody's wife is going to be really pissed about her new couch."
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I have been dodging the same dead bird in right side of the #1 lane of the freeway on my ride home for over a week. Its amazing its still there but it is. Gets flatter every day though.
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
    I dodged a refrigerator spinning across the right two lanes of the tollway today😯. What the hell is wrong with you people!!!!?
    Having recently taken two of Houston tollways in the last few days, there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room anyways. "It'll Ride" will be mentioned by someone

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    You can take some comfort that the dude's wife is going to be really angry about what happened to her refrigerator. That is the same sentiment I have every time I see a lone sofa cushion beside the road. "Somebody's wife is going to be really pissed about her new couch."
    I think the same thing seeing that lone cushion or table leaf that has been splintered to bits.Glad it's not me!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    I have been dodging the same dead bird in right side of the #1 lane of the freeway on my ride home for over a week. Its amazing its still there but it is. Gets flatter every day though.
    We have passed a turkey vulture on a local backroad for over a month...even the heavy rain did not budge flattie bird
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

One of the pleasures of a daily commute with a two lane country road section is the smell of a sizeable rotting mammal at side of the road off camera. Cant dodge and an odor!
    Signature

One of the pleasures of a daily commute with a two lane country road section is the smell of a sizeable rotting mammal at side of the road off camera. Cant dodge and an odor!
    How about a big skunk.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Round here we have that as well as the smells of the various confined animal feeding operations, turkey, chicken, hogs. Oh my. Interesting useless fact. They bury the dead birds in the manure pile. After 2 days they are gone. No feathers, no bones, gone. You should see and feel the heat off of one of those piles when fresh. You do not pile it too high and turn them every few days when hot and fresh. Does make a garden grow though.

Then there is a leaky liquid manure spreader, slick as ice with an aroma. you do not always see it if it is thin. Till you stop, then you know. It gets thicker when the tank has to stop, oh thank you for ABS!!!!! Then there is the smell from the big under engine catalytic converter and muffler.

Ohhhhh.
    Y
    Rod

After the joplin tornado there was constant debris in the roads, you really needed to be careful. I never got a flat, I do not know how. I had a nail hit the edge of the tire and angle to the outside, never even hit the cords. Shingles with nails still in them were very common.

one evening, I was riding home in the dark, and round a curve there was a full sheet of drywall. Basically I slid to the outside. Front tire starting to tuck and me fighting it as much as possible considering the narrow bars on the RS. Off the sheet, one wiggle, tighten line a bit and all was fine. I was sure I was going down. But never quit flying the airplane as they say. I parked, went back and pulled the drywall off the road. Then I went for a walk until I quit shaking. I have always been astonished how much time can slow in these circumstances.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    How about a big skunk.
    Heck even a small skunk can be amazing.
    Signature

Glad to hear you caught it Rod.
    Signature