• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What items have you dodged or hit on your commute?

I think I saw that same elk last September heading East on US 50 at zero dark thirty in Nevada as well....he just stood on the side of the road, looking down at me and watched me go by...
100 percent exactly, same time of day, same time too in mid September. Damn thing was bigger than life. Like a Mutual of Omaha picture.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sounds like Interstates need to be avoided!

I agree, but sometimes you just need to get from point A to point B quickly, and Interstates usually fill that bill. Normally, I plan my rides to avoid the superslabs, and just add time to my planned trips. I think I know every non-interstate way to go from Birmingham, AL, to my farm in north OK without ever getting on an Interstate!

Very fortunate Greg, a mattress is bad enough, but a box spring creates an even worse obstacle. I suspect it gave you significant pause for thought and reflection. Guess you built up some good karma. ;-)

I've taken a MC Safety course before I got my GSA. I also took the BMW RawHyde course. Beginner skill set. I was lucky. I think of that night often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've taken a MC Safety course before I got my GSA. I also took the BMW RawHyde course. Beginner skill set. I was lucky. I think of that night often.

Greg I also took one of the first MC Safety courses in our area back in 1973 or 74. I've taken a couple since then (one at Das Rally this year) to keep fresh and was an instructor for a short while for a BMW Advanced Driving School (cars).

Training helps tremendously, but, I don't think there is any amount of training that will save you sometimes if bad luck hits.

That's perhaps the biggest mistake I used to make when I first started riding (and driving for that matter), thinking that s**t was going to happen to others but not to me and not providing for that possibility in my riding. I still need to keep the adrenalin in check from time to time, especially on sparsely populated mountain roads, but for the most part I now ride with the expectation that anything one can imagine will likely happen and something you could never imagine might happen.

Greg I also took one of the first MC Safety courses in our area back in 1973 or 74. I've taken a couple since then (one at Das Rally this year) to keep fresh and was an instructor for a short while for a BMW Advanced Driving School (cars).

Training helps tremendously, but, I don't think there is any amount of training that will save you sometimes if bad luck hits.

That's perhaps the biggest mistake I used to make when I first started riding (and driving for that matter), thinking that s**t was going to happen to others but not to me and not providing for that possibility in my riding. I still need to keep the adrenalin in check from time to time, especially on sparsely populated mountain roads, but for the most part I now ride with the expectation that anything one can imagine will likely happen and something you could never imagine might happen.

Alan, I couldn't agree more! I do feel training and preparation are important. But I also know that Sh_t happens. Be safe and thanks for your comment.
Greg

Driving to work one morning about 0430, s/b on the 405, coming down the only hill between home and work, suddenly I don't see the tail lights of the cars ahead of me. It's like a black hole, sucking all the light into it.

Luckily I slowed down, trying to figure out what I was seeing. Then the black Jeep Wrangler that was stopped, sideways, completely blocking my lane and part of the lane next to it, became visible in my headlight. No lights on it and no one around.

I was able to swerve around it, but I'm not sure how. Took me a couple of hours to stop the shaking.

Driving to work one morning about 0430, s/b on the 405, coming down the only hill between home and work, suddenly I don't see the tail lights of the cars ahead of me. It's like a black hole, sucking all the light into it.

Luckily I slowed down, trying to figure out what I was seeing. Then the black Jeep Wrangler that was stopped, sideways, completely blocking my lane and part of the lane next to it, became visible in my headlight. No lights on it and no one around.

I was able to swerve around it, but I'm not sure how. Took me a couple of hours to stop the shaking.

Wow, you were very fortunate. Glad things went well.

Last week early morning southbound US-281 downtown San Antonio. Came around sweeper at 65 mph heading for the I35 off ramp, saw a pair of headlights in my lane. Car was turned around in wrong direction after hitting the center divider and there was a second car behind him with the flashers on. Pucker factor - 15!

Probably the most significant thing I can recall is a Couch;

I was merging onto a bypass highway from one direction, at the same time a pick up truck was merging on from another direction (north and south lanes merged into a west highway (2 lanes). I ended up behind a pick up truck that had a couch in the back and I said to myself, I don't like this, not sure how well the driver might have tied the couch down (or didn't) and so I changed lanes. No sooner did I get into the other lane, I saw the couch go airborne and landed right where I WAS. There would have been little room to avoid a 6 foot couch, but by not trusting how people tie things down, I moved and prevented a bad motorcycle crash.

Probably the most significant thing I can recall is a Couch;

I was merging onto a bypass highway from one direction, at the same time a pick up truck was merging on from another direction (north and south lanes merged into a west highway (2 lanes). I ended up behind a pick up truck that had a couch in the back and I said to myself, I don't like this, not sure how well the driver might have tied the couch down (or didn't) and so I changed lanes. No sooner did I get into the other lane, I saw the couch go airborne and landed right where I WAS. There would have been little room to avoid a 6 foot couch, but by not trusting how people tie things down, I moved and prevented a bad motorcycle crash.

Wow. Great thinking on your part. We all need to be more observant. Good for you.

riding 540 in Fayettville Ar pickup carrying misc household goods. Hose reel with hose. 5 ft of hose out the back dangling in the breeze. Then 6 foot, 10 foot...., check mirror, change lanes drop back...carefully. At about 30 foot entire hose reel comes out and center punches car car grill. Truck continues on unconcerned. I got license, pulled over and called it in. I do not know how this turned out, no injury, there would be no sign the truck ever had that reel.

Rod

I commute in a mtns in a rural area. I have dodged a lot of rocks, deer and elk At one time I had a kawasaki vulcan and clipped two deer with it. my GS is much more maneuverable.

I was commuting early one morning home and decided to take the long way home, via the Bear Mountain Bridge. Realized that it was getting early so rather than goofing off for a bit I decided to head home via I-87, by the 87-287 interchange, singing happily in my head, I get slowly pushed over by a semi merging right, take advantage of the shoulder, a judicious application of right wrist twisting and I cut back over onto the road, thinking how cool I am, as I suddenly run over a 4x4 piece of lumber.. ruined the snowflake on my 82 r65..... A valuable lesson was learned that day. Target fixation is a real thing. If you are looking at it you will hit it.

Lucky on this one-

When you're hauling a bunch of stuff, always make sure your load is secure, even if it's a squishy mattress.

Motorcyclist Aaron Wood was riding his bike through the Clem 7 tunnel in Brisbane, Australia last week when a mattress flew off the back of a truck directly into his lane. Unable to avoid the mattress, Wood hit it with his bike, but fortunately, it was a mattress.

The squishy landing pad became lodged in his front tire, causing the bike to slow down rapidly. Fortunately, he was not rear ended, and was able to walk away from the wreck without serious injury.

"I was just very lucky to come out unscathed — apart from some cuts to my hands," Wood told the Queensland Times.

This isn't the first time a mattress both caused an accident and simultaneously saved the day. In 2014, a video surfaced of a bicycle being taken out by a mattress, and in 2016, the same thing happened to a motorcycle rider in Thailand.

OM

Bird

Going to work in the morning the other day I had a dove fly toward me from some trees. I ducked and got doinked in the top of the helmet. Numerous feathers stuck in my visor when I got to work.

On an interstate highway in Buffalo on the way to the Finger Lakes Rally, I had a mattress come off a truck in the other lane, bounce off the roof of a car, get some lift and sail over me........Rod.

A flailing deer that had just been hit and the car that hit it. Really happy I keep extra distance between me and other vehicles at 0400. And that there was sufficient shoulder room for me to dodge to to avoid the yard sale of parts that was strewn across both lanes of travel.

A couple sheets of foam board housing insulation. It had come off a flatbed semi a few minutes earlier in rush hour traffic on I-40 in the midst of Research Triangle Park. As a result, it had been hit by a number of cars and mostly broken up in to 1-2" pieces that were being blown around the highway by passing vehicles but a few 12" or so pieces remained.

I was entering a round-about and there were two large pieces of cardboard boxing in the road right in the area where one would be leaned over for the curve. I avoided them easily as I was the only vehicle in the round-about, but it was rather unexpected.

Back