• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

And for you errand runners...

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Yeah, I ride but I'm certainly no long distance rider...It's just mostly errands.
Do to a number of factors, I've never really got to where I can ride just for the sake of riding. What I mostly do is as much running around as I can on the bike rather than one of the vehicles- errands. Like the other day when I was out of speedy-dri and went to the auto parts store to get a fresh 50# bag. The parts guy said "you going to get it home on that"? I said "sure, why not".
It's a really good day when I can hit 6 stops and ride a hundred or so miles.
Gary

I love to run errands on my R60/6. Honey, did you say you needed some pepper from the store? Oh, by the way, I ran out of smokes (or will, sometime tonight). Oh, dear, there are only 4 beers left - someone may stop by later. After commuting all week, the R60/6 becomes the parts chaser - at least until I replace that 25 year old front Metzeler Lazer.

Every time I go to Costco, I always get "How are you going to carry all that on your motorcycle???"

:dance:dance:dance

Every time I go to Costco, I always get "How are you going to carry all that on your motorcycle???"

My favorite reason for hanging the side cases on ANY motorcycle is that it creates a nice, wide platform on which I can bungee lots of stuff. Big stuff like a 40-50 lb. bag of salt for the water softener, or a 40 lb. bag of bird seed, or ... well, you get the idea.

heck, i take the bike for stuff I can't get in the car:laugh

Attachments

• hey.jpg
    hey.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 572

:dance:dance:dance

My wife sent me out for toilet paper once. I went the long way to the store. After eventually getting to the grocery store, I misjudged the size of the 12-pack I bought and it didn't fit in my side cases. So went back in and sheepishly asked the checkout clerk for two plastic bags, opened up the pack and divided the contents in two. Wife happy on return but shaking head at me.

I am so used to stopping for a few items on way home...or an excuse to ride some more. I was on our R12S the other day and couldn't even stop for the mail:laugh
I always get the "you on a bike?" when checking out:thumb

031207 002.jpg

P1010007.jpg

1971 R75/5

4 dozen eggs, 1 1/2 dozen ear of corn and 50 lb. bag of potatoes.

only 20 miles to home. the clerk only shook here head as I load up.:dance

I always keep a set of Rok Straps in my tankbag for times I buy something that won't fit in my topbox. I've also put the panniers on to go get salt for the water softener. One 40 pounder in each side balances the bike nicely. Now that I think about it, that might have been on my Transalp with Happy Trail panniers, not the GSA with BMW cases. No matter, I'd do it again. Plenty of runs to the grocery store and trips home with big bags for dog food on the back seat.

Oh, and on my Transalp, the Jesse topbox was big enough for 3 large Papa John's pizza's so I'd volunteer to pick them up to save the delivery fee. :) They don't fit in the GSA top box so now we go out for better pizzas.

Pretty cool new Rally event Steve- jousting. I don't know if it wii catch on, perhaps we can first decide whether to have the event at the beginning of the Rally or the end. :D

I thought about that with those outside my thigh and moving. Now run out in front of me you dang deer!

at a rally, it would hit the porta-let before you did :whistle

There's a member who posted a pic some time back who carried his surfboard on a rack in that position:thumb

the last time I posted this I read " just because you can doesn't mean you should" :laugh:laugh:laugh
Diesel was $4.25/gal that year!

P1010006.jpg

1971 R75/5

4 dozen eggs, 1 1/2 dozen ear of corn and 50 lb. bag of potatoes.

only 20 miles to home. the clerk only shook here head as I load up.:dance

The wixom sidecases on my /6 will hold two gallons of paint in each side...shoulda seen the face on the clerk with my helmet under my arm:D and the usual here's your sign question "You aren't riding a m'cycle are you?"

It was a nice November day. I was about to head out for a ride when SHE told me she wanted a new toilet seat. Not how to impress other members of the motorcycle community, but I got the job done...and got a ride in. :)

2013-11-02 14.14.12-L.jpg

everything

First trip to the store on my GSA this morning....5 quart bottle of oil, 6 two liters of soda and some various sundries in the right side alone. Nothing even straped onto my black dog rear rack!

I've had crock pots in my oversize side cases on the RT. 40lbs. of dog food, large rubbermaid storage containers. Yes, it's always nice to see the funny glances you get while packing and riding.:whistle

A few times I carried a five-gallon carboy of water on the back. They guy at the water-shop was afraid it would slosh around and cause a balance problem. With only about six cubic inches of air in the thing, where is that water gonna slosh TO, I asked him. I could see the bulb flickering above his head as he began to grasp it.

I've carried loads of stuff to a recycling center on the bike, all manner of groceries (frozen pizzae go into side-cases diagonally and everything else crams above/below...until I got the huge Micatechs!). And then there was the time that I went about 250 miles with a bamboo cutting-board strapped across the back seat. Not all that amazing a feat, but it did generate some quizzical stares.

Frankly, I'm not too fond of running shopping errands on the bike. I'm one of those ATGATT nuts and just hate removing gloves, then helmet, then earplugs at every stop, only to re-install the above for the next short run.

I HAVE however figured out how to duct tape two aluminum fly rod cases together, secure them under my duffle bag, and have them stick out the back end of the bike about 4 feet, taped on flagging tape flying in the breeze. (No, I don't carry a boat. Just do this when visit when visiting a fishing friend about 300 miles away who has a canoe.) Suspect my bike is cause for comment, though haven't heard any to date.

Back