• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Had To Lay'er Down

milo

Just scratching my head when I read the following on another forum. Even sliding he came to a stop before reaching the car.

Car pulled out in front of me yesterday and I had only two choices.... T-bone the car or lay 'er down and safely slide to a stop. So I laid 'er down on purpose and safely slid on my leather to a stop. The bike has the expected gouges and scratches but stopped before hitting the car. I'm OK, just need some new leather pants, boots and gloves.

I've practiced laying 'er down on my old BMX bicycle, so purposely laying down the HD was second nature. I constantly scan for traffic and if it even appears that someone might pull out in front of me, I'm thinking about where I might need to lay 'er down

Oh Brother, I hope that guy wasn't for real!

I think he is. When I told him he and his bike slid a lot farther than it would have taken to stop, he said there was a lot more friction with the bike and his many square feet of leather than 9 square inches of rubber. :eek

If he would have had a decent bike, with brakes approbiate for the weight, he would have come to a normal stop:dance

I think he is. When I told him he and his bike slid a lot farther than it would have taken to stop, he said there was a lot more friction with the bike and his many square feet of leather than 9 square inches of rubber. :eek

There is no hope for some people. :dunno

I'm not sure that was for real.
I have seen that as a troll topic from way back.
Years ago.
dc

you'd be surprised.
i had a BRC class a few years ago. One of the classroom questions asks students to describe a crash scenario from their experience, the causes of it, and what could have been done differently. 40ish y.o. guy describes "having to lay it down" due to a left turning car at a local traffic light intersection. he and bike stopped before reaching the car. i asked "what has more friction- rubber tires or sliding metal?" He just looked at me a bit puzzled. at the end of the day, after conducting the Quick Stop exercise, he pulled me aside and said "i understand what you asked me earlier. I didn't need to lay 'er down, did I?" "nope."

some can be educated, some can't.

it's always good to remember that the primary difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.

Good thing he wasn't on a trike! Sounds like he's some kind of a drama queen. Then again it probably is a troll. Not as good as the guy the poured sand down the carb of his running engine to polish the intake ports.

Few years back the recently out of office Governor of Alabama Bob Riley rode a Harley to Alaska. He took it up the haul road and had an accident. He was badly hurt but survived. Within 48 hours one of his minions was in Fairbanks and made a statement. The Gov had to lay the bike down to avoid an accident.

Probably believes it. This summer I was at the campfire at the BR MC Campground. There were a group of cruiser riders there, and they were talking and got to the subject of braking. One spoke up, and now the scary part, she TAUGHT MC safety courses.

She said that the rear brake was the CONTROL brake, and did most of the stopping......yada, yada, yada. But then stated on Harleys, ABS automatically shut off in a corner, so it would not operate!!! At that point I had to open my mouth and try to educate the gallery, I don't think I was successful, as my information was falling on deaf ears, that still believe the front brake is evil. And they were not an older group, 30's -40's

If I had to chronicle the many absolutely silly things that certain groups of riders believe and do, it would take several chapters. Everything from a$$le$$ chaps, ape hanger bars, big bags on the back of sissy bars, fake DOT stickers on bean-pot helmets, mangled steering geometry, and layin' her down are just the tip of the iceberg.

If I had to chronicle the many absolutely silly things that certain groups of riders believe and do, it would take several chapters. Everything from a$$le$$ chaps, ape hanger bars, big bags on the back of sissy bars, fake DOT stickers on bean-pot helmets, mangled steering geometry, and layin' her down are just the tip of the iceberg.

yeah but...it makes'm sound & look so kool!...:brow

Is the original post an "Urban Legend" of sorts?????

Seriously, I ride with a bunch of the noisy twin bunch. Yeah, I have to admit they bought into the hype, then again, when I worked for Ca---pill--, I bled yellow blood.

Was the original post a true story or a reason to bring discussion about our consciousness about the way we should ride?

Hey! A$$le$$ chaps have their place, sometimes.

Back