• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Total control ARC

Yes, I've taken level one 3 times now. I took it once on my own then the following year I took it with my girlfriend, later that year she wanted to take it again so we did. She wants to take level one and two back to back this year so we'll do that or do a skill drill then level two. The course totally demystifies cornering. You will see improvement on the ride home. I HIGHLY recommend this course. BTW my girlfriend is now my fianc? and she rides a R1200GSW!

P.S. My Avitar is me riding my '11 RT on the Dragon.

I'm an instructor, so of course I'll talk the class up. But let me tell you a more personal aspect of the class.

When I was going through instructor prep, which wasn't easy, we dug deep into topics of the class. All were very interesting to me, but the psychological parts were life changing - really - no kidding. That is where the Total Control class goes beyond an instructional course. The psychological aspect of motorcycle riding is something we don't spend much time on, and other classes (MSF) don't touch. But in this case, I extended some very valuable life lessons into my life that changed how I look at so many other parts. The class touches very lightly in to Zen and brings in the concept of 'care, but not that much - enough to give 100%, but not so much that failure bothers you. Because failure is simply a door opening to learning new ideas - if you let it. That leads to a life changing attitude that has made my life more fulfilling.

Beyond that, you'll get around 8 hours packed full of information on the bike that you've probably never encountered - tires, cornering, line selection, vision and suspension. Positive coaching is a cornerstone in the class. You perform an exercise and receive immediate feedback. You should find the class very worthwhile.

And an aspect that some centers offers is 'skills practice' sessions that you can take after you complete a level - coming back to polish your technique with the help of an instructor. I'm planning on bringing that concept to my center this year. I'm also trying to figure out how to introduce video to the range so that not only can I coach you, I can show you how you look so you can really see. Still in planning.

Good luck and never stop learning.

I was lucky enough to take the course a couple years ago with Lee Parks leading the effort. I must say Lee inspires enthusiasm for riding and learning more about how to do things better. I had purchased his book some years earlier, and I liked the way the book presented the material. After taking the class it was much easier to go back to the book as a resource, and understand exactly what the focus should be for the various exercises. For me the course was very rewarding, and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in improving their abilities.

Good luck in KY.

:thumb Took part one last spring, taking part two, this spring, with Lee being our instructor for both sessions. Well worth the experience. However, it is essential to followup mastering the drills after the course.

I'm an instructor, so of course I'll talk the class up. But let me tell you a more personal aspect of the class.

But in this case, I extended some very valuable life lessons into my life that changed how I look at so many other parts. The class touches very lightly in to Zen and brings in the concept of 'care, but not that much - enough to give 100%, but not so much that failure bothers you. Because failure is simply a door opening to learning new ideas - if you let it. That leads to a life changing attitude that has made my life more fulfilling.

Good luck and never stop learning.

Glenfield, I enjoyed your comments on how failure leads to new door openings.... Honda made a film about failure titled "Failure: The Secret To Success" that highlights their efforts to enter the Indy racing circuit may years back, and the issues they had until they "got it right" in their engine design. I've used this film in many of my business classes I teach at a local university to highlight the positive effects of working towards a goal, and using all feedback during the process to achieve success....Check it out at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bPzCZCmMfQ

Last edited:
I'm also trying to figure out how to introduce video to the range so that not only can I coach you, I can show you how you look so you can really see. Still in planning.

When I took the course last year, one of the instructors took hundreds of pictures as we did our exercises. He posted them online and sent us links a day or so after the course. I greatly appreciated this as these are the only pictures I have of myself "in action." But I think it would have been much more helpful to have seen them while we were still practicing. At the time I thought my body positioning was correct, but the pictures show that my head turns and weight shifting were much less extreme than they felt. Seeing the pictures or video and immediately repeating the exercise would probably have helped tremendously. One problem I see with this visual feedback is that it could be very time consuming, and our day was fully packed as it was.

Back