• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cost of 1st Service?

mikemill

I have just had my 1st Service at 600 miles.
I was actually expecting it to be complimentary, so I was a bit surprised when I received the Invoice of just under $230
This was for about an hour and a half's work and some synthetic oil.
I would have been okay with the cost of oil but the labor charges seemed excessive?
Is this normal and I am just now being introduced to BMW service pricing, or was this unusual?
Perhaps I am a skin flint?
To be fair I should have asked first, but really did not think I had much option.
Thanks,
Mike.

I have the invoice handy for mine, it was almost $185 plus tax made it $203, (labor part of it was $117)

I have the invoice handy for mine, it was almost $185 plus tax made it $203, (labor part of it was $117)

Thanks Gilly.
That gives me some assurance that I was not ripped off.
I suppose if one is willing to part with the capital to buy a scooter, then one must be ready to pay high for the services.

Mike.

Gilly.... Wow, $18 in tax!

Mike, Here's just a guess at what I would expect a 600 mile check to consist of:

BMW synthetic oil, 4 quarts @ $16 per quart = $64.00 (Guessing at the price)
Oil filter @ $16
2 hours labor @ $60 per hour = $120

Total $200

I recently bought a Yamaha FJR. The 600 mile service cost $85. That's with dino oil, synthetic would have added about $20.

Wow, $60/hr is the cheapest BMW shop rate I've seen.

When I took my scooter in for the first service I had also changed my own oil before it went in. What they did at the dealer I still do not know but they charged me for 40 minutes labor and it cost me about $65 tax included for a rubber stamp in the manual showing it was serviced

I believe your dealers charge you $10.50 a quart for the recommended 15w50 oil and $15.68 for a filter. (these are the prices quoted to me from the dealer in the states)

If I took the scooter in for just an oil change it would have been $125 plus tax

Labor here is close to $100 an hour so I do as much as I can.
I have gone on a shopping spree recently
Tires - back $143 Canadian - front $103 Canadian (feelfrees) gs-911 $350 Canadian (all less than the states)

As for BMW parts I will be picking up oil, filters, brake pads and drive belt on my next trip to the states as these all cost more at our dealers (a sickening 50% more)

It is weird that the tool (called the brace) for replacing the belt is less here in Canada when all the other stuff is cheaper in the states

Don't feel bad about service in the states I would think your labor rates are not $60 but closer to our rates of $90 -$100 but you save on parts and accessories.

Last edited:
Wow, $60/hr is the cheapest BMW shop rate I've seen.

Just a guess. I remember it was $100/hour in Fairbanks. My guess at oil/filter costs was probably off too. Did not realize Mike was talking about a scooter.

Thanks Gilly.
That gives me some assurance that I was not ripped off.
I suppose if one is willing to part with the capital to buy a scooter, then one must be ready to pay high for the services.

Mike.

You think that is bad, try a transverse 4 or 6 cylinder such as my prior K1200GT, service prices will absolutely make you question either your own or your dealers sanity. Hundreds and hundreds.

I believe your dealers charge you $10.50 a quart for the recommended 15w50 oil and $15.68 for a filter. (these are the prices quoted to me from the dealer in the states)

When I was in the shop this summer I noticed 5w40 Syn was $15/Qt.

Back