• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Utah Backcountry Discovery Route-this May

muddyspokes

Muddyspokes
Hello, I'm a newbie to MOA and this is my first post on the forum. I ride a F800GS for Dual Sport trips and ride and live in Northern California.
Last year, with a small group from my club, we tackled the "Heart of The West" tour published by Tony Huegal out of Idaho.
This year I hope to ride the "Utah Backcountry Discovery Route" put out by Touratech. Early to mid May departure. I'm planning a one week ride beginning in the south and heading north.
I'm looking for feedback from any members that have tackled this route on a GS or similar bike.
tx,
muddyspokes

The UTBDR misses some good roads. It does have some rough spots but the sections I've ridden were pretty tame.

Here are a few other alternatives in case you're interested.

No mater which way you go, watch out for snow in high elevations.

This is called "The Wedge Way"... see that little blip southward about 1/4 way up? That is one of the most stunning views in Utah.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1096967/embed" height="750px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

You can tie The Wedge Way with this ride: Skyline Drive. (the two actually connect up in the hills)

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1158863/embed" height="750px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Another classic ride is the Burr Trail.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1181601/embed" height="750px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

These are rather remote rides, so be sure your trouble kit is in good shape and that you take water and a space blanket... just in case. :brow

Ian

Visian,
Thanks for the heads up...and the alternate routes. I known the snow level can vary depending g on when winter calls it quits. It seemed we were in for another dry winter and that riding this route would have been reasonably for May..I was using my trip to Moab as a guide...too early and you freeze...and too late and you are toast...

I can adjust the start day fortunately.

I?ll plugs the alternates into my Basecamp and see what they look like.
Can you comment on lenght of time for the trip south to north...500 miles-thought we could easily do it inside a week.

Muddyspokes

My son is going to school in Logan, UT. He reports that a lot of snow has fallen in the past few weeks. More snow lately than some can remember for February. FYI.

Back