• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Demographics

Typical RR costs $18-20K ++, and is bought by genuine performance enthusiasts who don't participate in communities like this as often as other segments do, and generally participate in far more narrowly performance focused communities when they do. Focusing on this demographic to generate youth in the membership is a lot of wheel spin IMO...

I got your wheelspin right here.... :ha

I'm 48, male and just traded an '07 R1200GS Adventure for an '16 S1000XR. I pick it up Friday. The GSA was too grown up for me (read: competent at lots, stellar at nothing... like all season tires) ... the S1000RR is too uncomfortable for the long stints I tend spend in the saddle. The XR seems perfect. Awesome performance, handling, and all-day touring comfort.

So, I guess I fit the "Already was a member and bought a sportier bike" theory and so do not contribute to new membership.

Either way - I'm not sure I get much value out of this membership if that was where you were looking to get insight. I joined because it didn't cost much to find out. But, as a lurker... the forums move slowly, the magazine is printed on glossy paper and it's pretty enough but but it seems like the same old tired story over and over with "reviews" that are naked shills for vendors. It's almost a 2 wheeled copy of the Roundel from the car club. Keeping an open mind, I plan to hit some of the events this spring/summer and see what a gathering of actual members looks like before I let it expire. Maybe I'll bring the XR to Utah.

Im 43, President of a Regional club. Been a club member since the mid 90's when I was in college. Ride sportbikes, RT's and even a Harley. Work in tech as a programmer

Just like two wheels

I'm low 50s in age.
First bike was back in 90-something - for about a year - south of Boston, MA - not the best place get used to riding. Sold it, got married, had a few kids, moved to NH - got back on in 2000 - Virago 750 - upgraded to a '98 R1200C in 2001 (MOMs of Manchester) - LOVED THAT BIKE (and Chromeheads!) but due to some home-life issues had to sell it in 2013 - Now I'm back on with a '16 R1200RTW - getting used to all the bells and whistles (R1200C had nothing!) Looking forward to some great local rides around southern NH and maybe some weekend trips with the wife. I don't have 100 miles on it yet and I've spent over $2000 on 'extras'.
Oh ya, I'm a software engineer (30+ years) but I've been a baker and an apprentice electrician in prior lives and love construction projects.

I am 65 and just bought an S1000R. Been riding since I was 15. Have owned Hondas, Triumphs, Harleys, and BMWs. Came to BMW's 15 years ago, and have had an '02 R1150R for 5 years, an '07 K1200GT for 10 years, and just traded that for the S1R. Also have two Harley touring bikes. Been a member of the MOA for over 10 years. I've been able to ride 25k+ miles per/year for the last 10 years. I found that on long multi-day trips that I began to prefer my HD Road Glide, and had pulled the bags off my GT and had begun to treat it as my lighter, around town bike (even at 650 lbs -- everything is relative). So, wanting something lighter and more nimble I opted to trade my GT for the S1R. I use it for around town, day trips up into the mountains, and occasional overnighters not requiring more than a backpack of gear.

In terms of being night and day different from my larger bikes, no doubt. Being too much for an old, long-time rider, no way. I suspect there are a lot of gray heads under the helmets you see riding around on S-bikes. But I also meet/talk/am approached by a lot more young guys than when I'm riding my Harleys or when I was on my earlier BMW's.

So, from my perspective, I believe the MOA can continue to connect with older, long-time members as well as generate interest from newer, younger riders if it can find a way to appeal to the S-bike crowd.

OK, I'll Bite

I'm nearly 69 and I bought the second S1000RR delivered in the state of WA back in February, 2010. That was 7 years ago and I was 61 when I ordered it without even so much as a test ride. It would be my first (but not last) sport bike.

My local BMW dealer held a contest offering 7 people a chance to ride to the WSBK races at Miller Park in Salt Lake City the spring of 2009, and enticed riders and potential customers by offering selected winners their demo bikes for the whole week. This worked very well for them because it was the premier showing in the USA of the S1000RR being ridden by Troy Courser. I just wanted a week group ride to the bike races with free tickets and even rode my own K1200GT. What I saw was the promise of a "safe(r)" liter bike and being caught up in the hype with another friend in his 40's we both ordered them from the dealer when we got home.

I have since gone on multi-day trips on this bike including southern British Columbia, Idaho, Oregon. I've camped at regional rallies with it (non-MOA) with friends who own similar bikes, and I have become a track junkie. Through this I have met many many young(er) men and women and a few older folks who enjoy this type of riding on closed circuits, and some who still race. I've even taken classes from CSS and volunteered as a corner worker for them when they come to our area. When I was still working it was a daily commuter too.

This is all about attitude rather than age, inclusion rather then exclusion.

I currently own a 16 R1200RT which I use for touring and commuting before I retired, and I have other touring friends. Besides or rather than needing groups and friends to ride with, last year I rode solo across the country and back. 61 days, 32 states, and 15K+ miles.

I also have a 09 Suzuki DR650 dual sport I ride with a different set of riding friends. Young to older men and women who love to ride off-road or on back country (BDR) adventures. I'm trying to get more involved in that even now.

Oh,... and last year I traded a '00 HD Wide-glide which I had not been riding with a friend for a '05 Honda RC51.

So why am I here on the BMW MOA? Fair question. Basically for the break in insurance premiums, and I do like the articles and/or threads in the forums on maintenance or problems for the bike(s) I own. I'm not all that interested in BMW rallies, or Harley rallies, or any other exclusionary groups. Heck, I rode my K1200GT to Sturgis with my mostly Harley friends. All the other groups or people I ride with include a variety of bike brands and models and that's the type of inclusionary attitude I enjoy and expect from others.

I'm 68 and just bought a S1000XR. Longtime BMW owner with over 17 BMW's owned over the years. Shortly after my first BMW, a new 82 R100RT, I joined the MOA and attended several local club rallies and eventually the National Rally in Flagstaff. I was hooked after owning Triumph , BSA, Yamaha, and Honda Machines. I have had a BMW or two in the garage every year since 1982.

My other bike is a 14 GSA that I really love for it's long ride capability and occasional off pavement rides. The SXR appealed to me because it was the first sport bike with ergonomics similar to a GS. A test ride had me hooked. This is my day rider, canyon carving, thrill bike. I plan to keep this bike light and simple. The GSA will remain my serious long distance bike. The two bikes don't compete with each other, they satisfy different missions.

The reason the Demographics for the S1000 series isn't likely to join the MOA is as stated, a different lifestyle. As a club we can start to attract the typical S1000 owner in steps not leaps. An article or two in the ON magazine can help. I notice in the latest MOA ON there was a short article about the S1000XR. That's a start, but a comprehensive test ride report would peak the interest of the demographic discussed. Maybe an occasional article about sport bike focused rides or track days would also help. I don't think we need to do this at the expense of our traditional interests. We need to focus on inclusion of this group. Perhaps activities and training focused on sportbikes similar to what is done with the GS Giant is another avenue. These sport bike riders will eventually transition to more traditional touring bikes as that interest develops through interaction with our club if they are felt to be welcome. This is a possible path to the longevity of the club.

I'm 74 going on 16..and have ordered an xr after test riding a 2016 xr. My son age 38, has a rr that; has to be the most uncomfortable bike to ride for any distance.

Having owned most of the Harley series bikes and several bmw's (gs, rt)...all which after several months; I always wished they had had a little more get up and go. I think I've found a bike that I will never feel that way again...the xr is pure rocket ship!! And comfortable to boot!

Elsewhere in this forum are extensive discussions about the MOA as a club and its members which were ignited by a recent change in MOA staff.
One of the issues is, how attractive the club is to younger members and the S1000RR is being used as a representation of younger rider's bike.

As a S1000RR owner, how old are you? Is this your only bike? Did you have a BMW before you bought the S1000RR?

Just trying to get more involved with the community..

To answer the questions, I'm 37 and a half, I own the s1000xr. This is my only bike and first bike. I've had my Motorcycle endorsement since 2002 but never brought a bike due to school, travel and my work schedule. The XR was meant for me, I was considering going with a used 2013 K1300S but after sitting aboard the XR I decided to spend the money for the bike that was perfect for me height wise. I'm 6'4". Oh, I purchased my bike in April of this year and have logged 10,000 miles. She's a joy to ride.

Demographically BMW attracts a more affluent buyer, most guys riding the RR, buy the cheaper Japanese race bikes because of cost. The buddies that i would ride with, ride Gixxers and R1's. As a result of my work and travel schedule I mainly spend my time commuting alone, which I have no problem with. I hit play on my Sena headset and listen to my music until i reach my destination.

I do feel as though the community targets an older group of riders. Nothing wrong with that, it just is what it is.

Just trying to get more involved with the community..

To answer the questions, I'm 37 and a half, I own the s1000xr. This is my only bike and first bike. I've had my Motorcycle endorsement since 2002 but never brought a bike due to school, travel and my work schedule. The XR was meant for me, I was considering going with a used 2013 K1300S but after sitting aboard the XR I decided to spend the money for the bike that was perfect for me height wise. I'm 6'4". Oh, I purchased my bike in April of this year and have logged 10,000 miles. She's a joy to ride.

Demographically BMW attracts a more affluent buyer, most guys riding the RR, buy the cheaper Japanese race bikes because of cost. The buddies that i would ride with, ride Gixxers and R1's. As a result of my work and travel schedule I mainly spend my time commuting alone, which I have no problem with. I hit play on my Sena headset and listen to my music until i reach my destination.

I do feel as though the community targets an older group of riders. Nothing wrong with that, it just is what it is.
Good to see you on the forum!
It's also good to see someone about 20 years younger of the median age of the forum users :)
Looks like you decided to "go big" right out of the box. Those S1000's are a sharp bike with an easy to service final drive :ha
Good luck with it.
Gary

Good to see you on the forum!
It's also good to see someone about 20 years younger of the median age of the forum users :)
Looks like you decided to "go big" right out of the box. Those S1000's are a sharp bike with an easy to service final drive :ha
Good luck with it.
Gary

Thanks, much appreciated!

I wish I was more irresponsible with my money. If so I would have an XR.
But I am spending money on more training and actual trips.

Thanks for responding, Dan! I am amazed about the absolute lack of feedback. It seems like all the S1000RR owners are middle-aged women who do not want to reveil their age...:D:D
I have my own personal theory about the typical ownership profile in the S1000RR community and just wanted to see if I am totally off.
Among other things, I do not believe that there are many "under 30" S1000RR owners. For a variety of reasons.

You might be surprised, our sales data certainly wouldn't support that. Also keep in mind that there are some other high volume BMW dealers (top 20 in US) in major metro areas that have strong "club" communities, which are a generally younger demographic. The market research suggests 40 ish... the reality on US sales floors doesn't necessarily agree.

it's never too late . . .

Based on the date of the originating thread, I guess I'm a little late to the party. I'm 56 and purchased my S1000RR in November of 2017 (I know, stupid time to purchase a bike in the Midwest, but Christmas was a great excuse to lavish it with farkles). I'm 6'2" in good health and continually working on my flexibility because I have to in order to ride this bike. For the first few seconds, I grimace as I fold myself up onto the pegs, focus my mind on the task at hand and then . . . my right hand grabs a bit of throttle and everything is right in the world. The exhaust note is a sweet melody unmatched by anything on Pandora. I know it's not for everyone and a bit pricey for twenty-somethings needing a second form of transportation for winters, but it speaks to me from both a performance and safety perspective. Ride safe.

Based on the date of the originating thread, I guess I'm a little late to the party. I'm 56 and purchased my S1000RR in November of 2017 (I know, stupid time to purchase a bike in the Midwest, but Christmas was a great excuse to lavish it with farkles). I'm 6'2" in good health and continually working on my flexibility because I have to in order to ride this bike. For the first few seconds, I grimace as I fold myself up onto the pegs, focus my mind on the task at hand and then . . . my right hand grabs a bit of throttle and everything is right in the world. The exhaust note is a sweet melody unmatched by anything on Pandora. I know it's not for everyone and a bit pricey for twenty-somethings needing a second form of transportation for winters, but it speaks to me from both a performance and safety perspective. Ride safe.

Very nice :thumb
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

I am 64 and have an RT and XR. I tour with the RT and have fun on the XR. I have done numerous California Superbike classes. I love the RR but can't wait to get off of it after a riding session. Each session is about 20 minutes. It is an intense 20 minutes. I wanted an RR but didn't think I could do all day rides on it to the mountains. I can on the XR and will do some weekend trips on it this fall. The people I see who ride the RR are usually younger and hang out with other sport riders and read about that niche of the motorcycle world. It is a different mind set. Whether they will convert to sport touring or touring I don't know. The older people I met at the bike school were more like me. Not all of them. Most the younger riders were all about track days and that is the only riding they do. As far as MOA membership is concerned, I don't see these type of riders joining this or any other brand club. They may change with time if they broaden they horizons. Time will tell.

Back