I'm 68 and just bought a S1000XR. Longtime BMW owner with over 17 BMW's owned over the years. Shortly after my first BMW, a new 82 R100RT, I joined the MOA and attended several local club rallies and eventually the National Rally in Flagstaff. I was hooked after owning Triumph , BSA, Yamaha, and Honda Machines. I have had a BMW or two in the garage every year since 1982.

My other bike is a 14 GSA that I really love for it's long ride capability and occasional off pavement rides. The SXR appealed to me because it was the first sport bike with ergonomics similar to a GS. A test ride had me hooked. This is my day rider, canyon carving, thrill bike. I plan to keep this bike light and simple. The GSA will remain my serious long distance bike. The two bikes don't compete with each other, they satisfy different missions.

The reason the Demographics for the S1000 series isn't likely to join the MOA is as stated, a different lifestyle. As a club we can start to attract the typical S1000 owner in steps not leaps. An article or two in the ON magazine can help. I notice in the latest MOA ON there was a short article about the S1000XR. That's a start, but a comprehensive test ride report would peak the interest of the demographic discussed. Maybe an occasional article about sport bike focused rides or track days would also help. I don't think we need to do this at the expense of our traditional interests. We need to focus on inclusion of this group. Perhaps activities and training focused on sportbikes similar to what is done with the GS Giant is another avenue. These sport bike riders will eventually transition to more traditional touring bikes as that interest develops through interaction with our club if they are felt to be welcome. This is a possible path to the longevity of the club.