• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Demographics

EMSimon

No longer a member here
Elsewhere in this forum are extensive discussions about the MOA as a club and its members which were ignited by a recent change in MOA staff.
One of the issues is, how attractive the club is to younger members and the S1000RR is being used as a representation of younger rider's bike.

As a S1000RR owner, how old are you? Is this your only bike? Did you have a BMW before you bought the S1000RR?

Seeing your post has been up for 11 hours without a reply, I'll chime. I don't have the bike, but if I was 30, single and making $75,000 a year I would owe one, does that help? I'm guessing, but when I was 30, a 1978 XS650 Yamaha retailed for around $1,700.00. And just across the showroom floor was a '77 R100RS, with a price of - $5300.00! With a wife, two cars (one a new 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix that retailed for what the BMW cost), mortgage, one child and one to come, guess which one I bought? Oh the R100RS had the appeal meter all the way to the right, but the affordability was in the Yamaha. Things changed that much since then? Well, from what I read, more 30 and under are living (back) with Mom and Dad because of the poor job market (or they're too good for the jobs available), loan money isn't as easy to qualify for and sales are not what they use to be.

One item has changed - the price disparity between BMW and other makes has certainly changed over these 40 years. A 2013 Suzuki Hayabusa - $14,400, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 ABS - $15,999 and the 2013 S 1000 RR - $15,050. Even with added options the BMW isn't much more than the competition. So appears BMW has done its job competing for sales in this market segment? So, as a percentage in this segment (super sport bike), is BMW not capturing its fair share? I guess another item comes to mind, that may lean to the point I believe your attempting to make, "Kids" aren't getting married till their late twenties or early 30's, if at all. So is it cheaper (more disposable income) to get married or just "shack up" (showing my age) these days? I'm talking fiscal, not emotional cost...LOL.

Let a "little" time go by and there is no apples to apples or oranges to oranges.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding, Dan! I am amazed about the absolute lack of feedback. It seems like all the S1000RR owners are middle-aged women who do not want to reveil their age...:D:D
I have my own personal theory about the typical ownership profile in the S1000RR community and just wanted to see if I am totally off.
Among other things, I do not believe that there are many "under 30" S1000RR owners. For a variety of reasons.

Given that the only answers you might get are, by necessity, from members of the MOA, they wouldn't tell you anything about the general demographics of S1000RR owners. They would only be reflective of members of the MOA who own an S1000RR. And even so, they'd be too few in number to constitute a sample from which you could extrapolate much.

Given that the only answers you might get are, by necessity, from members of the MOA, they wouldn't tell you anything about the general demographics of S1000RR owners. They would only be reflective of members of the MOA who own an S1000RR. And even so, they'd be too few in number to constitute a sample from which you could extrapolate much.

I think that's the OP's point....the silence might actually prove his point.

Yes, the BMW MOA is a motorcycle touring and camping organization with a smattering of other activities thrown in.

I'm riding a mildly tweeked old R90S set up the way I like it, and when I roll on the gas it's all I need. Don't have any idea what I'd do with a hundred and fifty horses. Then there are the just right krausers into which just the right stuff has it's every place packed just right, over the years, so that it's exactly what I need to git on down road in relative comfort, economy and happiness.

1000RR? I have no idea what I would do with that bike, or one like it. However, demographically, we are going to pass on, and the older bikes may end up in some other organization? They ain't goin away, simplicity is a study unto itself. I'm very surprised at the number of guys/gals attached to older/slower BMWs, especially written up in another BMW cycle mag, every month, mostly from Europe, and the craftsmanship is stunning. This is not a troll, just thought.

For maybe a little insight into the S1000 community might monitor the Pelican R1100S/R1200S forum for a bit.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/

Likewise I'd venture there really isn't significant GS discussion on the MOA forum and very little K1600 discussion either (or K1200LT).

There's a pretty big difference between MOA demographics and BMW demographics.

And as for old guys, there are significant numbers (relatively) on Ducatis, even the Panigale.

I think that's the OP's point....the silence might actually prove his point.

Yes, it does, Dan! BMW's intend with the S1000RR is to attract "younger buyers". The reason for my inquiry was to see, if the MOA can do the same. It seems not. The majority of S1000RR buyers does not participate in the MOA. And I was interested to see if those who do, are not "under 40".

BMW S100RR Demographic

While I don't personally own an S1000RR and have no data on what the rider demographic might be, based on those that I know, many of them would qualify as being "old farts"... but they are all young at heart. Wish I had sufficient funds to be one of them (and I'm 53).

Kent

My neighbor has one, he's close to 60...is not a member here and doesn't see the value. He goes burns a set of tires off as quickly as he can, then hangs out to chatter with the Milleniums who ride yammies and 'busas at Luckenbach...then repeat weekly:dunno

It's close enough in price to the other liter bikes... However the insurance for anyone under I venture a guess of 30 years of age cannot afford the premiums...Our 99S costs more than my 09GSA...and I am 56. Even my insurance agent scratched his head until he saw S in the model number. Guess that's a red flag for Stupid Fast.

I also believe not many young'ins participate in forums these days as it's not a tweet or a FB environment. I know enough of them to get that mindset.
I would own a 1000RR, just have stupid fast bikes already that meet all of my needs for any adrenaline rush that bike may offer. I have ridden one as well as a Honda Liter...I cannot afford the tickets they attract:banghead

You guys all confirm what my thinking is regarding the S1000RR and how it relates to increase of BMW sales numbers but not MOA membership.

Not sure I think she's under 30' but she's in the BMW 90 year Anniversary book

image.jpg
Thanks for responding, Dan! I am amazed about the absolute lack of feedback. It seems like all the S1000RR owners are middle-aged women who do not want to reveil their age...:D:D
I have my own personal theory about the typical ownership profile in the S1000RR community and just wanted to see if I am totally off.
Among other things, I do not believe that there are many "under 30" S1000RR owners. For a variety of reasons.
And holds a few world records on said motorcycle. Message her on her Facebook page for her MOA number and age.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm 36 and the 2013 S1000RR is my first bike and only bike, I put 8200 miles on the bike since May. I had to stop riding it for 2 months otherwise the mileage would have been a lot more.

My HP4 arrived today and I'm going to pick it up on the 1st. I'm actually very excited about this bike, I wasn't before on the S1000RR, not because it wasn't a good bike but because I had no experience to gauge whether that bike was good or not. It's a pretty easy bike to ride compared to driving high powered RWD cars IMO, very drama free, laser precision, neutral, it does what you want it to do without a tantrum. That's what I learned in the short amount of time riding it and comparing it to the 5 Ducati's I test rode.

While I don't personally own an S1000RR and have no data on what the rider demographic might be, based on those that I know, many of them would qualify as being "old farts"... but they are all young at heart. Wish I had sufficient funds to be one of them (and I'm 53).

Kent

Kent,

At 54, I think you and I might be the young ones around here?

Jon

NYC S1000RR owners tend to be young

Here in NYC, every S1000RR rider I've come across was under 30. That numbers probably 50 or so from various rides I've gone on. However, not a single one was a member of the MOA.

I probably broke the bell curve 15 years ago when I joined the MOA at age 25. I don't think our average age has changed appreciably since I joined, although I've personally gotten closer to the average.

Our club effectively promotes long distance travel via the national rally and the Anonymous book. To do long travel, you need the vacation time, or to be retired. That's going to skew toward an older audience.

In the past few years, the weekend getaways have made MOA gatherings feasible for many more people, especially those with less vacation availability. If, as a club, we want to reach a younger audience, we need to provide more events that a wider audience can attend without a huge time commitment. Regional rallies would go a long way toward helping that.

The national rally ends up being viable for younger members at best every 3 years because of the distance/time requirements and the regional cycle. Who's going to join a club where you can only partake once every few years? Bikes like the S1000RR aren't meant for long distance riding, so what events cater to that audience in the club? With BMW's new focus on 'urban mobility' and the new scooter line, the Nine-T and the S1000R, who is going to ride >1000 miles to go to a rally?

Until we acknowledge that not every MOA member is also an IBA member, or has a ton of vacation time, we're not going to reach a younger audience.

With BMW's new focus on 'urban mobility' and the new scooter line, the Nine-T and the S1000R, who is going to ride >1000 miles to go to a rally?

Until we acknowledge that not every MOA member is also an IBA member, or has a ton of vacation time, we're not going to reach a younger audience.

Sounds like a rational for focusing on some of the local clubs in places like NYC, Seattle, SF & others to see what they are doing (if anything) to promote growth.

Other than mileage, there is one other significant difference in the approach to riding for the S1000RR owner: Riding style. I have several extreme sport bikes, and I do not ride them in a larger (4+) group or to a rally. I ride them with people I know, whose riding style is in synch with mine and to specific destinations. If I had only those bikes, I would not be a member of any nationwide "owners' association".

I think you guys are pretty spot on. Im in my 30's and an S1000RR owner. I know several other owners. None of which are MOA members I believe. None of us do any distance riding with our S1000rr's. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with leisurely back country rides, its just not our thing. Track days, twisties, and land speed events is what peaks most of their interests. I am a very new member and hope to contribute more frequently. But acquiring more S1000RR owner membership may be challenging.

Back