Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Demographics

Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    Typical RR costs $18-20K ++, and is bought by genuine performance enthusiasts who don't participate in communities like this as often as other segments do, and generally participate in far more narrowly performance focused communities when they do. Focusing on this demographic to generate youth in the membership is a lot of wheel spin IMO...
    I got your wheelspin right here....

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e || '07 Xchallenge || '14 Grom

I'm 48, male and just traded an '07 R1200GS Adventure for an '16 S1000XR. I pick it up Friday. The GSA was too grown up for me (read: competent at lots, stellar at nothing... like all season tires) ... the S1000RR is too uncomfortable for the long stints I tend spend in the saddle. The XR seems perfect. Awesome performance, handling, and all-day touring comfort.

So, I guess I fit the "Already was a member and bought a sportier bike" theory and so do not contribute to new membership.

Either way - I'm not sure I get much value out of this membership if that was where you were looking to get insight. I joined because it didn't cost much to find out. But, as a lurker... the forums move slowly, the magazine is printed on glossy paper and it's pretty enough but but it seems like the same old tired story over and over with "reviews" that are naked shills for vendors. It's almost a 2 wheeled copy of the Roundel from the car club. Keeping an open mind, I plan to hit some of the events this spring/summer and see what a gathering of actual members looks like before I let it expire. Maybe I'll bring the XR to Utah.

Im 43, President of a Regional club. Been a club member since the mid 90's when I was in college. Ride sportbikes, RT's and even a Harley. Work in tech as a programmer
    1978 R100RS , 1983 R80RT, 1998 R1100RT, 2000 ZRX1100, 2013 FLHRC
    I don't need an intervention, I need a bigger garage.

Southern NH

Just like two wheels

I'm low 50s in age.
    First bike was back in 90-something - for about a year - south of Boston, MA - not the best place get used to riding. Sold it, got married, had a few kids, moved to NH - got back on in 2000 - Virago 750 - upgraded to a '98 R1200C in 2001 (MOMs of Manchester) - LOVED THAT BIKE (and Chromeheads!) but due to some home-life issues had to sell it in 2013 - Now I'm back on with a '16 R1200RTW - getting used to all the bells and whistles (R1200C had nothing!) Looking forward to some great local rides around southern NH and maybe some weekend trips with the wife. I don't have 100 miles on it yet and I've spent over $2000 on 'extras'.
    Oh ya, I'm a software engineer (30+ years) but I've been a baker and an apprentice electrician in prior lives and love construction projects.

I am 65 and just bought an S1000R. Been riding since I was 15. Have owned Hondas, Triumphs, Harleys, and BMWs. Came to BMW's 15 years ago, and have had an '02 R1150R for 5 years, an '07 K1200GT for 10 years, and just traded that for the S1R. Also have two Harley touring bikes. Been a member of the MOA for over 10 years. I've been able to ride 25k+ miles per/year for the last 10 years. I found that on long multi-day trips that I began to prefer my HD Road Glide, and had pulled the bags off my GT and had begun to treat it as my lighter, around town bike (even at 650 lbs -- everything is relative). So, wanting something lighter and more nimble I opted to trade my GT for the S1R. I use it for around town, day trips up into the mountains, and occasional overnighters not requiring more than a backpack of gear.

In terms of being night and day different from my larger bikes, no doubt. Being too much for an old, long-time rider, no way. I suspect there are a lot of gray heads under the helmets you see riding around on S-bikes. But I also meet/talk/am approached by a lot more young guys than when I'm riding my Harleys or when I was on my earlier BMW's.

So, from my perspective, I believe the MOA can continue to connect with older, long-time members as well as generate interest from newer, younger riders if it can find a way to appeal to the S-bike crowd.

OK, I'll Bite

I'm nearly 69 and I bought the second S1000RR delivered in the state of WA back in February, 2010. That was 7 years ago and I was 61 when I ordered it without even so much as a test ride. It would be my first (but not last) sport bike.

My local BMW dealer held a contest offering 7 people a chance to ride to the WSBK races at Miller Park in Salt Lake City the spring of 2009, and enticed riders and potential customers by offering selected winners their demo bikes for the whole week. This worked very well for them because it was the premier showing in the USA of the S1000RR being ridden by Troy Courser. I just wanted a week group ride to the bike races with free tickets and even rode my own K1200GT. What I saw was the promise of a "safe(r)" liter bike and being caught up in the hype with another friend in his 40's we both ordered them from the dealer when we got home.

I have since gone on multi-day trips on this bike including southern British Columbia, Idaho, Oregon. I've camped at regional rallies with it (non-MOA) with friends who own similar bikes, and I have become a track junkie. Through this I have met many many young(er) men and women and a few older folks who enjoy this type of riding on closed circuits, and some who still race. I've even taken classes from CSS and volunteered as a corner worker for them when they come to our area. When I was still working it was a daily commuter too.

This is all about attitude rather than age, inclusion rather then exclusion.

I currently own a 16 R1200RT which I use for touring and commuting before I retired, and I have other touring friends. Besides or rather than needing groups and friends to ride with, last year I rode solo across the country and back. 61 days, 32 states, and 15K+ miles.

I also have a 09 Suzuki DR650 dual sport I ride with a different set of riding friends. Young to older men and women who love to ride off-road or on back country (BDR) adventures. I'm trying to get more involved in that even now.

Oh,... and last year I traded a '00 HD Wide-glide which I had not been riding with a friend for a '05 Honda RC51.

So why am I here on the BMW MOA? Fair question. Basically for the break in insurance premiums, and I do like the articles and/or threads in the forums on maintenance or problems for the bike(s) I own. I'm not all that interested in BMW rallies, or Harley rallies, or any other exclusionary groups. Heck, I rode my K1200GT to Sturgis with my mostly Harley friends. All the other groups or people I ride with include a variety of bike brands and models and that's the type of inclusionary attitude I enjoy and expect from others.