• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Demographics

I agree it might be a challenge. I do not own one, they came out the year I finally made the jump to my K1300S. That was Stupid Fast for me, yet I could still commute on it. I did 11+ track days this past season with my little Kawi (sold the S and got a dedicated track bike before it tossed it down the road...got the Kawi to learn how to ride better on the track). I saw a LOT of S100RR bikes at the track. From basic, to obviously salvage titled, to total carbon on everything. Some days, the RRs outnumbered the GSXRs. I doubt any of those guys were MOA members and I am willing to bet that if I asked them if they were members, they would have said 'of what?' The ages generally started in the mid-20's and concentrated around the mid-30's. But, that is sort of par for the course for track days. Although us oldsters (59 here) are reasonably well represented as well since we generally have been successful enough to afford the bike and the time, relatively speaking. I am selling my Kawasaki to move on to other things, but I feel I learned enough in the past year that IF I were to get a liter track bike, it would likely be the BMW RR due to its power and electronics package that make it one of the safer bikes in case you do something stupid.

But these guys have their group/gang/clique. They are in their element, it is just different from the MOA.

I traded into an S1000RR in 2012 to simply expand riding skills at 47. I just traded it for a K1300 for my wife to get a lower seat with heat. She did not like being pillion on the R1200GSA after seeing the luxuries of a touring bike.

Is is OK to say this ... ?

Be interesting to learn demographics of S1000RR riders as they relate to MOA vs RA membership.

Is is OK to say this ... ?

Be interesting to learn demographics of S1000RR riders as they relate to MOA vs RA membership.

I think you just said it. :D

I will be interested to see what demographic profile the S 1000 R develops. At a base price of $13,500 it is $1800 - $2000 grand less than a R nine T or the RR. Chain final drive and more universally usable ergonomics may skew the age bell curve higher for the R compared to the RR.

I qualify as broke old fart. The R is on my short list of bikes to consider. Getting any of the short list on the list of new bikes my checkbook can afford is another story.

Thanks for responding, Dan! I am amazed about the absolute lack of feedback. It seems like all the S1000RR owners are middle-aged women who do not want to reveil their age...:D.

You ultimately have received feedback, but I bet if you posted this question in Ruff Riders, you'd get completely different data.

Ian

It's a whole different demographic (and psychographic, fwiw) than what we have going on here.... :nod

IMG_4061-XL.jpg

IMG_4270-XL.jpg

IMG_4126-XL.jpg

IMG_4261-XL.jpg

IMG_4249-XL.jpg

I started this thread to prove to myself that my theory about S1000RR ownership as it relates to MOA membership is correct:

The increase in S1000RR ownership has absolutely no positive impact on MOA membership.

There are two general types of owners -

1. Young, somewhat affluent riders who want a fast and hi-tech bike and who have absolutely no interest in MOA membership

2. Older affluent riders who already own a BMW, and are already MOA members who buy a "sport bike" to add to their stable.
Before the S1000RR, those guys would have bought a Ducati or Aprilia

Neither category adds to MOA membership numbers.

Yes, O.K. there are maybe a few who do not fall into either category. really a small number, I say.

Ian's post and pictures speak volumes to me about the attitude of the MOA towards the first group. The main reason why this is a Catch 22

Well, one thing we could do is not make posts in *this* forum about how uncool we are... so I will shut up now. :ha :burnout

I honestly believe that we could attract people like this to the club if we offered something, *anything* appealing to them.

I started this thread to prove to myself that my theory about S1000RR ownership as it relates to MOA membership is correct:

The increase in S1000RR ownership has absolutely no positive impact on MOA membership.

There are two general types of owners -

1. Young, somewhat affluent riders who want a fast and hi-tech bike and who have absolutely no interest in MOA membership

2. Older affluent riders who already own a BMW, and are already MOA members who buy a "sport bike" to add to their stable.
Before the S1000RR, those guys would have bought a Ducati or Aprilia

Neither category adds to MOA membership numbers.

Yes, O.K. there are maybe a few who do not fall into either category. really a small number, I say.

Ian's post and pictures speak volumes to me about the attitude of the MOA towards the first group. The main reason why this is a Catch 22

I would suggest to you that membership in BMW MOA has a lot less to do with age or the bike people ride and more to do with the culture here that becomes apparent after a few days of cruising the forums. With no opinion offered at all about the appeal of being a member here you have to admit that the culture here is different than what you find on the BMW RA, the iBMW site, K1600 site, and since you brought up S1000RR riders, go look at the their site. You'll find a distinctly different manner of interacting and of interests that aren't really age related.

I'm 55 years old and, for example, this isn't the place I'd come to for any track bike or track day advice. It's never my first stop for Sports/Touring advice either. Not that there isn't perhaps some people here with that knowledge but it just isn't what this place is about. I posted a controversial post several months ago that the ON magazine looked like it was full of photos of people I don't know doing things I don't really care about. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and for what this culture is you should be very proud of it and enjoy it. My advice is don't change a thing about it and stop worrying about attracting younger people. Focus on being yourselves and attracting the people that resonate with that.

Can you explain what you mean here?

I would suggest to you that membership in BMW MOA has a lot less to do with age or the bike people ride and more to do with the culture here that becomes apparent after a few days of cruising the forums.

This is what I was trying to say. The demographics (there are more to demos than age) and the psychographics here on the forum and in our club (or culture, as you call it) is why people either do or do not join the MOA.

We offer nothing to attract riders of the S1000RR, so naturally there are not many of them in our ranks.

Ian

ps...

I asked the mods to move this thread to the clubhouse, since it has less to do with S1000RRs and more to do with navel gazing about our club. :p

S1000RR Owner

I know this is an older thread, I had written a long winded reply which seems to have vanished. I am 40 years old and own a 2014 S1000RR and a 1990 K75S project. It took me a long time to pull the trigger on joining MOA as I have been following along on facebook for a long time. Although there is a lot of great info and great people, there is also a vibe that turns a lot of younger people off. I am talking about some peoples attitude to either other people, there beliefs, what they ride outside of a BMW etc. Any club should be open to their members talking about whatever is on their mind. If people want to engage in the conversation, they will. If they don't like what the subject is, ignore it and move along to a thread that interests you. Anyway, the point is, when people visit they see an incredible amount of negativity and that pushes them away from joining. Just my 2 cents.
Here is a couple of pics of the S1000RR and the K75. Not great of the K but will be showing more in time as I fix her up.
photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpgS1000RR A1A.jpg

I know this is an older post!

I turn 47 next month, I bought a 2012 K1600gt because I liked what I read about it in all the magazines and , of course , the wonderful reviews. The K bike is what got me interested in the club. I had ridden a Harley for years and the bar hopping, showing off , got old. I joined the MOA to meet like minded riders who could share with me some of their experiences on their BMW's and to tap the tribal knowledge. I just bought a s1000rr and am loving this bike! According to my wife, I'm handling my "mid life crisis", with this bike. I get real enjoyment blasting down the road being mistaken for some young "whippersnapper" out having a good time with all my grey hair hidden in my helmet. I don't believe my S1000rr would have brought me to the MOA, but I can definitely say, the MOA, brought me to my S1000rr!

By the way,
I still have my K bike and wouldn't trade it for the world.

S1000r

Hi,

I'm 61 and ride an S1000R at the moment. I love the way sport bikes handle but it could never be my only bike if I'm going to ride more than an hour or so. I had quite a few bikes over the years and couldn't resist the SR when I heard about it. I do see many RR riders in my area but all are busy riding with the R1, Ninja, and Ducati crowd to spend anytime with our local BMW club. We did try riding together a few times but the contrast between our GS two up riders and the RR 'fighter jocks' was too extreme. A different demo entirely for sure. I would say the look and feel of the MOA website is definitely for the mature touring crowd. My guess is 90% of the RR's sold were to under 30 year olds. IMO.

Old Farts

While I don't personally own an S1000RR and have no data on what the rider demographic might be, based on those that I know, many of them would qualify as being "old farts"... but they are all young at heart. Wish I had sufficient funds to be one of them (and I'm 53).

Kent

I am 59 and lust after the S1000RR. If I had the discretionary & disposable funds, I would own one....You can never have too many guitars or motorcycles.

Kim

Back