Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 s1000xr

2016 s1000xr

Hello,

No where else to post this and wanted to gather thoughts and information in the newest bike from BMW. I just purchased a 2016 S1000XR last week and have enjoyed putting on the first 800 miles. Being 6'5" I find it to uncomfortable to ride a true sport bike and love the XR. I was looking for some data regarding performance numbers on my bike. Also, looking forward to the aftermarket adding items. First, is a more comfortable seat for my pillion rider. The bike is amazing and even performs well 2 up. Look forward to sharing if anyone has any questions.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to MOA, Chris, and great pick.

When I was in Ireland a few weeks ago, I picked up a magazine called "Motorcycle Sport & Leisure". The deputy editor, Chris Wilson writes that the XR is "...one of the best road-focused bikes I've ever ridden..." and that "...it is the ultimate compromise between sports and touring...." Sorry, they didn't publish performance data (nor have the other magazines I've looked at), but as you know, it's a rocket.

FWIW, I would think this bike could run a quarter mile in the 10's and have a top speed in excess of 160 mph. We might have to turn Valerie Thompson loose on one, to find out.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Chris
    Any questions, just ask.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Welcome Chris,

Everyone is not liking you right now because you have one... nice choice anyways
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I sat on one and as a less than 6 foot 5 person can say they built that bike for you. It's taller than my wife's 1200GS.
    Paul
    Stop wrestling with your motorcycle, dance with it.
    2011 R1200RT Traded
    2014 R1200RT fully optioned

Tested one at my dealer last Wednesday and bought it with no hesitation. From what I had researched this bike sounded good, but the ride sealed the deal. I am 6"0" and find the bike manageable with both feet on the ground. This was with the ESA set to one helmet preload. The preload setting will have a big impact on the seat height. I knew it would be fast, but the bike performed as a missile when getting on a long uphill on-ramp. What really surprised me was the city manners of this high performance bike. In stop and go surface street riding the engine was smooth and docile not hinting at it's performance potential. The clutch and gear box were buttery smooth and easy to manage in street traffic. Once on the freeway it was well composed and very stable. The ergonomics were similar to my 14 GSA except the foot peg position was more tucked in. You will know immediately if the position works for you.

I am anxiously awaiting Wednesday to pick up this bike. I live three hours from the dealer so it will be picked up with my trailer. I think Thursday will be the first real ride, can't wait!
    2014 R1200 GSA W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/5380...ssue-27-july-7

p. 55

The Brit magazine Bike had a good article last month if you can find a copy. A friend of picked one with everything up. He made the mistake of saying if I got his Duc running and sold, I could ride it as much as I wanted. Done and dusted. It's in my garage and I'll be testing it today.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '14 Street Triple R (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

So, tall, a bit top heavy, a bit heavy moving around in a parking lot. Really fast and the rev limiter was set at 9k. Great handling and comfort. Windshield is meh -- too much noise in both positions.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '14 Street Triple R (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

Smile

I have a whopping 300 miles on my new XR. Those miles have been in my backyard, mountains and high altitude passes. This bike rails through turns wit great confidence and the acceleration is phenomenal. It's the bike I hoped for. One must go in with realistic expectations. The emphasis is sport so it is a hard edged device. The ride is very firm and the engine produces vibrations between 5-6K rpm. The vibrations are no more than a tingle that is easily mitigated with a light grip on the bars when it is in the worse RPM zone. I can see doing 500 mile days with no issues other than refueling twice as often as my GSA. I have been able to get 200 miles between fuel stops. No problem with the small windshield in the low position. I wear a Schuberth C3 Pro with earplugs. I can still listen to Bluetooth music at highway cruise speed clearly. This bike produces more grins per mile than any thing I've ridden in the last 50 years.IMG_0193.jpg
    Last edited by gr8ridn2; 08-15-2015 at 08:10 PM.

Really like the red version. Thanks for the input, I too am used to the tanker GSA's range but could adapt
    Hopefully you have more miles by today...I would!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Well, we went to our dealer (also a Indian, KTM, and Ducati Dealer). Christine traded in her 2014 Street Glide Special for a S1000XR (red) Premium Package. It should get delivered to us later this week.
    The best part is I get to ride it a lot! Her HD just was not fun to ride at all (compared to my K1600), and she decided the same thing hence her change of bike back to BMW (she also had a K1600 before the HD).
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL (the boys' ride), 2016 S1000XR (The grrrl's ride)
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465

Quote Originally Posted by 2bikers1collie View Post
    Christine traded in her 2014 Street Glide Special for a S1000XR... (she also had a K1600 before the HD).
    That's quite the change in bike types, so perhaps it's not so much of a surprise that the cruiser thing was not for her.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Well, in the 7 years I've known her (and gotten married to her), she has owned:
    2005 HD Sportster Custom
    2008 HD Softail Deluxe
    2010 HD Ultra-Classic
    2013 BMW K1600GTL
    2014 HD Street Glide Special
    2016 BMW S1000XR

She definitely likes the cruisers, but Chris is ready for a change. The move back to the FLHTXS from the K1600GTL really made evident the huge performance gap between the two brands.
    We tested the Ducati Multistrata and both felt it was uncomfortable (she really likes the looks though). I felt it (and the other twins we tested) to all be a bit full of vibration; likely because my K1600 is so smooooooth.
    The KTM 1290 Super Adv we tested was about the same as the Multistrada, without the looks. Both seems to have a mid-range slump in power delivery, or at least they felt like it.
    It ultimately came down between the R1200GSW and the S1000XR, and since we live on a (paved) spit of land sticking out in the ocean where motorcycles are not allowed on the beaches, she decided on the XR.

Now we are waiting to take delivery from our dealer (Wagner Motorsports in Worchester, MA) after they add the little bits and pieces we wanted on it; we are getting the Low Seat, Panniers, Axle sliders, Engine Bar Guards, Hand grip protectors and a Nav5.

I know we will have to add rock/debris guards for the radiators, iPhone handlebar mount, rear pannier tip-over guards (I doubt anyone makes these yet), and a new seat (or maybe modify the existing one, again) for Tobi.

What else am I missing? lol.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Really like the red version. Thanks for the input, I too am used to the tanker GSA's range but could adapt
    Hopefully you have more miles by today...I would!
    While it has been in record heat all this month I have squeezed in another 400 miles in two morning rides. Not that the miles matter that much, my rides have been in the mountains so hours and number of shifts are coming along nicely. I have become more familiar with the sweet spots of the engine power band and the optimal shift point of the gear shift assist pro. This is a very sweet ride. I will have to adjust for the fuel range of my other bike but this one can get 200 miles range if I try.

Had a chance to try the ABS Pro coming around a blind turn and discovering a herd of open range cattle in my path. The system allowed simultaneous braking and turning to avoid contact. Nice option for those times the unexpected is beyond sight in turns. Now I wish my GSA had this ABS system.

I will be doing my break-in service this weekend. It may be limited to 9K RPM until unlocked on the first service to 11K, but at the restrained redline it is very quick and offers more performance than any of my prior motorcycles. So far the bike is thrilling in terms of it's brake, engine, gearbox, and suspension performance. It is reasonably comfortable if you are use to the GS riding position. I am planning a 3000 mile ride in September that should give a better impression of what it is like living on this bike multiple days of high mileage riding.

My wife Christine on her new XR, jut picked it up last night!

IMG_0576.jpg
    ---