• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Worx SD Electric Screwdriver

racer7

Once in a while I still find a tool that simplifies shop work a little. The WORX SD, a pistol grip, 4V rechargeable electric screwdriver is one.

Its unique feature is that it holds a cartridge of 6 standard size (1/4" hex X 1" long) bits. The cartridge works much like a revolver cylinder.
When the "slide is racked" (similar to an auto pistol) it advances to the next bit.

I also happen to own a set of 100 security bits that are standard size. Purchased at Harbor Freight for $10, the set contains all the usual hex, torx, security torx, square, regular and phillips sizes, many in multiples.

So- I took one of the TORX SD cartridge, removed most of its stock bits and set it up to handle most of the panel and cylinder screws on the BMWs in the garage- which range from an oilhead to K bikes to an RT and F twins. That cylinder holds a T-25 security bit (which also drives plain T-25, I use security torx for license plates), T-30, 3 mm hex, 4 mm hex, 5 mm hex and #2 phillips.
That combo handles almost all the usual panel screws and many others on BMWs.

One can easily imagine other combinations for other work. The WORX SD comes with 2 cartridges.

The setup reduces the need to go to the chest for extra drivers and was appreciated during the past couple days of working both on the oilhead (mostly hex) and F twins (torx)

I'm not familiar with the Worx brand but your friendly big-box home improvement store will have a few inexpensive (cheap?) electric screwdrivers. Some good ones, too.
The cheap ones work fine but I find I have to break most screws loose before using the electric feature. Some need a standard old-school screwdriver first. Remember the cheap electric driver is, well, cheap with probably plastic gears. So take it easy when applying torque but even if you do strip the gears, it wasn't a big investment. But I find my cheap driver (Skil, I think) to be very helpful for all those bodywork screws.

pete

The Worx SD owners manual claims the spindle is automatically locked when the on-off button is not pressed. A similar feature on my old Black & Decker driver worked well when I needed a little more torque than the battery could provide. The pistol grip on the Worx would give even better leverage than the B&D stick.

A few months back I decided I needed a new one as well.

Considered the Worx, but went with the Bosch Lithium-Ion 12V. It came two battery packs [keep going when really busy **] & a fast charger, under an hour so far. It has two speeds, and variable , slow screwdriver, fast drill, key-less chuck [holds very tight] of course reverseable and an adjustable clutch [torque] . So far so good..it should last a good long time in the manner I use it

** I don't get that busy...:brow

Electric Screwdriver

I got mine at Sears, it is whatever their cheaper house brand is below Craftsman....Evolve I think.
On sale for $7 and works beautifully. I have one of the Adventure Designs tool kits for my 2009 RT and the
screwdriver takes all the bits. Keep in mind this is a light duty screwdriver, but it's great for the
tedious task of removing and reinstalling the body panels on an RT.

+1 on the Bosch tool mentioned by 71243. It's not in the "cheap" category but a very nice tool and worth the money. Any power screwdriver, or power anything for that matter, should have a lithium ion battery or two. Ni-Cads are so last century. ;)

pete

Back