• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

PIAA lights

Recently picked up a 98 1100RT. It has PIAA driving lights, and one doesn't work. I plugged it in the socket of the one that does work, and still no light. So I assume the bulb is bad. Can I replace just the bulb, or do I need to purchase an entire new light? Where might I find such lights?
Thanks
Lester

Recently picked up a 98 1100RT. It has PIAA driving lights, and one doesn't work. I plugged it in the socket of the one that does work, and still no light. So I assume the bulb is bad. Can I replace just the bulb, or do I need to purchase an entire new light? Where might I find such lights?
Thanks
Lester

I did a search on Bing, and this is what came up:

http://www.piaa.com/

It appears that the bulbs are available separately, but I am sure you will need bulb number or light model number or something like that.

Different PIAAs use different bulbs but the common 1100 uses a 55W H3.
PIAA sells expensive bulbs that a little whiter but no brighter than what you can buy at any auto parts store for $5, approx. PIAA is well known for misleading, wrong marketing statements about its bulbs to help justify the ridiculous price- the language is taken from claims originally made for similar items sold in Japan.

The PIAA 1100 is small obsolete lamp that was a good choice in its day- which peaked in the late 1990s, but is still sold. Today, you can get more effective light out of LEDs that are cheaper, last longer and use far less current- which matters if your bike is limited to 400W output like many motorcycles. OTOH, the R1200RT makes as much juice as some older cars so you run about anything you choose, in multiples if it suits your taste. I forget how much juice the R1100s make, probably about 500W, which is plenty for a single set of halogen light like the PIAAs

thanks

I will check out my local Advance Auto before I go on line to PIAA. All I need is a good light, not an expensive light that has no better quality than what I can get locally!
Thanks!

My experience has been somewhat different with the PIA H-3. When I bought my 95R11RS I have no idea what brand of bulb was in the headlight, only that it was a dismal excuse for a headlight. Doing some research online, (at the time) the Phillips H-3 was being touted as a significant improvement, so I ordered one. It was a significant improvement.

While in Bloomsburg visiting the Piaa vendor, I was speaking with them about their bulbs. Of course I was told what a difference there was in their bulbs! What sold me on trying one, was that he offered me a money back guarantee so I spent (I believe $53) for one of their H-3's feeling pretty foolish. It is without question the best bulb I've had in the bike yet, and makes the headlight good.
I live in an area with many, many deer and they scare me senseless. The headlight with the stock lens now not only illuminates much better straight ahead, but also illuminates the side of the road much better on low beam. High beam is phenomenal by comparison to the old. I have a set of Piaa 910's mounted also and on high beam, the headlight will show equally to the 910's for distance visibility.

Not saying that there is not a better option, or that they are not expensive, but in my experience, they are the best that I've found.

Ken

The PIAA bulbs are generally well made but they are also typically tinted to produce a bluer (high color temp) output. That color shift makes them more reflective off signs and dry asphalt surfaces. It also increases glare from back reflection in fog or off signs. Sometimes it helps seeing the forest rats eye reflections. But it also decreases depth perception and color perception compared so can also reduce ability to spot things by color difference rather than reflection.
I've played with several types of them- no major complaints other than cost- and I wouldn't vote for them with my $. (Some also have shorter run times than equivalent output lamps from others)
There are really only two kinds of lights where halogens are still the top performing choice or at least as good as anything else. They are true (flat top beam) fog lights and pencil beam, large reflector long range driving lights.

Racer,

Thanks for your post. I've noticed the marked difference in reflection. Sometimes good for aging eyes at night, sometimes not so much.

What would your suggestion be? I'd be very interested to know as my Piaa H-3 is nearing 3 years of age, and it's about time to retire it
to the "emergency spare" box behind the seat.

Thanks,
Ken

Back