• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

3/4 length mesh jacket suitable for hot weather... suggestions?

Beemer01

As if i need more gear....:hide

But for summer months I'd like to get a 3/4 length mesh or at least very well vented jacket with armor etc. Any suggestions on brands I should consider? I have several Aerostich outfits which rock for cold to cool weather riding, but are just too hot when the temps get above 80F.

I have been happy with my Motoport 3/4 mesh jacket, both on the bike and sliding down the road. Been wearing it and the mesh pants since 2006. Both have very good protective armour. :thumb

Not much around for 3/4-length mesh jackets. Look at the Tourmaster Sonora. It's my hot weather touring jacket. includes liners, generous ballistic patches on elbows and shoulders, decent armor, and lots of mesh. Sorry, no "road testing" results available.

pete

I would look at Firstgear, Olympia, and Rev'It. I have had jackets that I like from these manufacturers, and I believe they all have one or more 3/4 length mesh jackets available. I currently have a Rev'It Tornado, which a short style, but it moves a LOT of air.

I have a Tourmaster Transition 2. While a very good jacket, it's not a mesh jacket. With the vents open, I find its upper limit to be around 85 degrees F.

+1 on the Olympia mesh.

You aren't likely to find anything mesh in 3/4 length since anyone wearing 3/4 length in hot weather is likely wearing pants, too. Like most things, compromise is needed when dealing with extremes in temperature.

3/4 Mesh Jacket

A 3/4 length mesh jacket for warm weather riding appears to be contradictory.

If you don't wish to overheat, wouldn't you want less material covering your body rather than more? A 3/4 length is going to cover you double (waist to upper thigh), when you consider where it overlaps your pants. Or is the desire for 3/4 length a personal preference, since that is what you have with the Aerostich style? Are you concerned that a waist length jacket will "ride up?"

I am not trying to give a smart aleck response, just questioning.

I find the waist length BMW Airshell Jacket to be an excellent choice for hot weather riding. No "riding up" over the waist and you can zip it to your pants for extra insurance against that.

Bill

+1 for MOTOPORT, not cheap by any means, cannot ask for better quality though. Worn mine in temps as high as 105, flows lots of air, even with the full armor package:usa

+1 on Motoport. I lived in Arizona and hot is the norm there most of the year. The Motoport jacket and pants let in a lot of air to keep you cooler and the protection is first rate!

+1 on Motoport! I love mine. My riding can easily take me from freezing to the 60s and in the summer, from the low 40s to 100+. The liners really work.

Hmmmm....

+1, Motoport as well, I wear an Ultra2. Flows enough air for me. Their products have proven very durable and well constructed.

Flows enough air in central Maine??? Isn't that where you have 2 seasons, 11 months of winter and the 4th of July?

Sorry... couldn't resist

As if i need more gear....:hide

But for summer months I'd like to get a 3/4 length mesh or at least very well vented jacket with armor etc. Any suggestions on brands I should consider? I have several Aerostich outfits which rock for cold to cool weather riding, but are just too hot when the temps get above 80F.

I like my Tourmaster. I think it's the Intake 2.0, but it's definitely a Tourmaster. It has CE armor in the elbows and shoulders, and a decent back protector.

Flows enough air in central Maine??? Isn't that where you have 2 seasons, 11 months of winter and the 4th of July?

Sorry... couldn't resist

Hehehehehe, tis true. I have the Ultra 2 jacket in cordura. Even with the armor in its amazing how much air the jacket will pass keeps me as comfortable as can be expected in temps to upper 80's, the water/windproof liner stays in during spring and fall. I lived in South Mississippi for a time, locals got quite a chuckle out of me, riding motorcycle all through the winter and using the car a few hot weeks in august.

3/4 length jacket

So, we have not heard from Beemer01 on which Motoport jacket he purchased, since that seemed to be the most preferred jacket of those responding to his original request.

Back