• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Twin Cities Road Construction

roy

Hi all, I am planning a trip around the Twin Cities (Minneapolis, St. Paul) on the week end of August 6th.

I will be coming in on I94 from East of the chedder curtain.

I normally take 694 around the north sideof the cities but last time through this was under construction.

Any advice on an a better route?

Thanks

Hey Roy...

I'm not sure of the last time you tried that route, but I think that may be your best option. I live on the north side of the Twin Cities, and the work on 694 that was going on in the Brooklyn Center/Park area is done, and I don't think there's any on the east side for 694. There may be some issues further out, but that's where it becomes 94 (further west, out towards Maple Grove/Rogers.

I believe there's some work going on 494, so that wouldn't be good. Same goes for some of the north/south routes, like 169 and Highway 100. I know for a fact that there's work going on there.

Unless someone else says different, I think I'd stick to 694, if it were me.

Good Luck!

<edit> Maybe I spoke too soon. I think I need to expand my horizons. Check out this link....
MN DOT Road Construction - 694
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/roadwork/bynum694.html

Last edited:
694 is in good shape. Avoid the 694/494/94 split in Maple Grove if you are going through on a Friday. There is bridge repair over the Crow River just north of Rogers but may be done by 8/6.

A nice route would be 694 to the Mississippi River and take the two lane roads through Champlin, Dayton, Otsego and Monticello.

The road to absolutely avoid is the south bypass 494. I rode it the other day and it is treacherous for motorcycles. Numerous lane shifts and concrete barriers leave no escape route (in the area of the Mississippi river crossing). Lots of tire traps in the form of settled blacktop next to concrete.

Which way after Minneapolis?

Geoff Miller said:
The road to absolutely avoid is the south bypass 494. I rode it the other day and it is treacherous for motorcycles. Numerous lane shifts and concrete barriers leave no escape route (in the area of the Mississippi river crossing). Lots of tire traps in the form of settled blacktop next to concrete.
Hi Roy,

If you need to be on I-94 North, out of Minneapolis, another route is I-94 through the city. It is usally the least crowded of the three major routes mentioned. If I'm traveling through the Twin Cities from the East that's the route I always take. Also, Friday afternoon and evenings in Minneapolis there is the great exodus to the lake country, traffic will be very heavy. Traffic could be thick 60 to 100 miles north of the 494/694 junction on Friday night.

If you can, go through late after 11 PM, or, very early.

BTW, 494 just sucks!

Thanks

My son was up their this spring and he said 694 was a mess. After talking to him a little more I believe he was on 494 since he went past the airport and humpty dome.

I am heading west on 94 up to Sauk Center area so may try the gut shot through down town on 94. I hope to be in the cities by 1:00 PM if all goes well should be well past the cities before rush hour.

Thanks again for the updates.

Will wave if I see ya on the road. :wave

Back