• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 GSW ticking.

bankerman

Owned my 2013 GSW since July 2013. Been great ! I live in GA and typically we have pretty mild weather. This week we have had unusually cold temps (7 degrees). Not sure if this is a factor or not.
Now for the problem. I keep the bike attached to a battery tender anytime its not in use, regardless of the temps. This morning I noticed that the bike was ticking. It mimicked the sound and rhythm of an emergency flasher. 2 ticks, one slightly higher pitched than the other, and then a small pause and start again. "tick toc__tick toc__" and so on. I unplugged the tender and it continued. i switched on the bike. The dash lit up as normal and the ticking stopped.

What the heck is it?

Thanks

Sounds like a relay. Did you feel the relays while you could hear the ticking? You can feel them to isolate which one is the culprit.
Might help isolate the problem.
Ken

+1 on the sticking relays. I have seen many relays do that on aircraft after the aircraft has been sitting. Even had it once on an airliner which had been sitting in the desert for two years. Sounded like a ping pong machine in the cockpit and we had to divert.
But back on topic, I would not be happy with a brand new bike doing that.

Sounds like a relay. Did you feel the relays while you could hear the ticking? You can feel them to isolate which one is the culprit.
Might help isolate the problem.
Ken

I think it is a relay. There a "black box" behind the battery and the sound seems to be coming from that. Could not feel it, but the hose to the ear trick seem to isolate the sound to the box. When time permits tomorrow I will do more investigation. I've checked with the dealer in which the bike was purchased and the Atlanta Ga dealer. Both "have no idea" and can't even tell me what relays are located in that box. Quite disappointing. I love the bike, but at times like this I miss my old airheads. Thanks for the input guys.

Back