• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Slash 5 windshield

kjmcd13

Anybody know a source of windshields for /5 LWB toaster besides Parabellum? Everything I see is for 74 and up. They may fit, but if someone is running a particular windscreen I would like to know what make/model.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you looked at some of the suppliers in the Windscreen section of the Resources and Links section? I'm sure you want to hear what other people are actually using, but this section might provide you with some other suppliers.

resources

WOW! That is much more organized than the last time I looked at Resources-and-Links thread! Nice!

Anybody know a source of windshields for /5 toaster besides Parabellum? Everything I see is for 74 and up. They may fit, but if someone is running a particular windscreen I would like to know what make/model.

Thanks!

Have you tried Gustafsson plastics ?

They make many pre-made & will make special order. They are in Florida.

This is a pretty broad subject. The answer will depend a lot on what you want the screen to do; full protection, partial coverage, short haul to work runs, touring, etc. You also need to consider if your /5 is a Long Wheel Base, or Short Wheel Base machine? There are plenty of discussion threads regarding that dilemma. My /5 is LWB, and I've never encountered any stability problems, but...

Here's a couple of old w/s threads.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?9374-R75-5-toaster-questions

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?59721-wife-wants-R75-5-windshield

motobins has a few -> http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=R Series 2 valve Twin
(scroll down to the "frame/fairings/mirrors/screens" section

I've always admired the old OEM QD wind screen, but I don't think it's available anymore. Not even sure it was offered stateside. This image was from a UK website.

3936477.jpg

I formed this bubble "fairing" years ago while working at Vetters; it's long since disintegrated, but I always liked it. Just tall enough to keep the airflow off of my chest, which helps on long rides. I made a couple of brackets that utilized the headlight mounting bolts in the front, and two brackets for the mirror mounting bosses. The picture was taken just before I got my Stadium bar ends. The closest you could come now would probably be a "fly screen".

My slash 5 fairing.jpg

Since "modern" motorcycles run a 7" headlight, the big PITA now will be finding a screen or fairing that conforms to the smaller 6-5/8' diameter of the /5 headlight.

I was given a Memphis Shades Deuce. I haven't installed it (yet) but it looks to be about right on the /5. The headlight opening diameter is fitted to 7" but I think you could work around it.

And it is available in color gradients at the bottom.

images
mep2121-pu-memphis-shades-classic-deuce-replacement-plastic-for-memphis-shades-windshields.jpeg

Lew, I have a Memphis Shades on my LWB /5. Mine is the "Hellcat" model. It's a bit taller and the cut out matches up to the headlight shell nicely. It's a fine windscreen. It looks good and does the job of deflecting wind from your upper body just like you would want. Also, the hardware is very robust, but you should use blue Loctite on the threaded parts. I modified my Wixom Ranger fairing to use the Memphis Shades hardware as well.

/5 windshield

Hi
I have 2 lwb /5's both sport a cheap S type faring from JC Whitney called an Emgo (i think). $49 bucks and I cut the sides round and painted them to match the bikes, they look good and serve well. One Bike gets ridden in the winter so I made a cool retro setup. I put a Wixom Avon faring with a new Gustufson windshield on it, and I just custom installed a set of lowers from a /2. Also have heated grips and heated vest. SO I can ride in the heat with my bikini faring or in the winter with a full dresser look.
Later
Brian

James, Brian, could you snap a couple of pics for us.

Also, aren't/isn't... the mounting hardware sized for 1" diameter bar. The shield I have is.

LWB/Touring

My /5 is a LWB and I plan on using the windshield for touring and to take it off when not going long distances. The I am kinda leaning toward the Parabellum shield for the /6 as it is a windshield/fairing kind of set up. I certainly appreciate the info though. I saw a blue Toaster at the last Gathering of the Clans in NC with the JC Whitney fairing painted to match. It looked really nice.

My first bike was/is a '71 R50/5. rode it a couple of years plain. Thought I needed some wind protection. A buddy of mine had a buddy who had a windshield factory in the area. Called Cyclear, which I think has evolved into Memphis Shades. Went over there back then and checked im out. Bought several over the years, all different sizes and styles. They all kinda/sorta worked. None looked quite right. Finally went back to just the plain bike, which fit my style for that bike. That bike is hard to fit for a windshield due to the shape and the location of the instrument cluster and switch.

James, Brian, could you snap a couple of pics for us.

Also, aren't/isn't... the mounting hardware sized for 1" diameter bar. The shield I have is.

The Memphis Shades windshield kit would have originally come with nylon sleeves to adapt to our smaller diameter handle bars. I have used strips cut out of old inner tubes for this purpose. I'll see if I can get find pics. My bike currently has the Wixom fairing on it.

Back