• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I ride one of the best bikes in the world. But i am embarrassed on it... '05 R1200GS

My K75 had a VERY loud horn. Can't recall every using it intentionally. (Like some others, when threats appear on the road, I prefer to take evasive action rather than hope the horn causes the threatening motorist, deer or pedestrian to do so.) The only time it frequently honked was making a slow left turn in a campground. The switch would contact the tank bag and let everyone within a half mile know I had arrived. Strangely, nobody ever thanked me for the heads-up.

The only time it frequently honked was making a slow left turn in a campground. The switch would contact the tank bag and let everyone within a half mile know I had arrived.

Helen's horn honking is at it's best when she is parking and turning left as well:evil She used to look around to see WHO was honking.

I have lived in the PNW since 1988 and this is the first I have heard of such policy....:)

Correction, impolite was the wrong word, its actually against the law to honk for anything other than an emergency - punishable by $124 fine :) http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Hold-that-honk-Car-horns-are-for-safety-only-1247702.php

We moved to WA in 1979 and I remember seeing it on the driving test, I thought it was a joke. If you spend any amount of time in Seattle, you'll rarely hear a horn.

Last edited:
I do not remember ever using my horn but it is available if needed. In fact, it was 6 months before I realized my S1000RR did not even have a horn.

There is also a big difference between using a horn as a direct warning vs. using it after the fact as punishment to the other driver. Using it after the event is simply road rage and I remember a forum poster who got pulled over by the police and was told, "I would have pulled the other guy over until you laid on your horn at the other driver" and the officer told him, "I will take stupid over angry".

Whenever I feel angry at another driver or another motorcyclist I remember that statement-"I will take stupid over angry".

I do not remember ever using my horn but it is available if needed. In fact, it was 6 months before I realized my S1000RR did not even have a horn.

There is also a big difference between using a horn as a direct warning vs. using it after the fact as punishment to the other driver. Using it after the event is simply road rage and I remember a forum poster who got pulled over by the police and was told, "I would have pulled the other guy over until you laid on your horn at the other driver" and the officer told him, "I will take stupid over angry".

Whenever I feel angry at another driver or another motorcyclist I remember that statement-"I will take stupid over angry".

Using a horn after the fact is road rage? What park in disneyland do you live? You'd last 5 seconds in NY.

Using a horn after the fact is road rage? What park in disneyland do you live? You'd last 5 seconds in NY.

haha, I do live close to Disney most of the time, but in Hong Kong. I ride all over Asia and each country is very different with regard to horn usage. If NY requires its use I will just use like you do in Nepal or India. CO does not require much.

haha, I do live close to Disney most of the time, but in Hong Kong. I ride all over Asia and each country is very different with regard to horn usage. If NY requires its use I will just use like you do in Nepal or India. CO does not require much.

In NYC, a horn and a middle finger are like hi, how are you doing? A very normal occurrence. Or as Johnny Carson said, "New York is an exciting town where something is happening all the time, most unsolved."

In NYC, a horn and a middle finger are like hi, how are you doing? A very normal occurrence. Or as Johnny Carson said, "New York is an exciting town where something is happening all the time, most unsolved."

Miami, NYC, Phoenix, and LA lead the nation in instances of road rage. Google "causes of road rage" and I think you'll find the last thing you want to do when you encounter an "aggressive" driver is give them the finger or honk your horn at them.

Miami, NYC, Phoenix, and LA lead the nation in instances of road rage. Google "causes of road rage" and I think you'll find the last thing you want to do when you encounter an "aggressive" driver is give them the finger or honk your horn at them.

I lived in NY for 40 years. I became immune to it. That's my point. Everything is nuts, so you just accept it and go about your business.

I did not mean to redirect the OPs topic to road rage from a pathetic horn. I was kind of surprised when I finally realized the S1000 did not have a horn and it is road legal. I never use the horn in the US hardly so I never even looked for it when I rode it and you do not need it on the track.

I did not mean to redirect the OPs topic to road rage from a pathetic horn. I was kind of surprised when I finally realized the S1000 did not have a horn and it is road legal. I never use the horn in the US hardly so I never even looked for it when I rode it and you do not need it on the track.

Well, both of us may agree that the horn on these bikes stink. :D

I lived in NY for 40 years. I became immune to it. That's my point. Everything is nuts, so you just accept it and go about your business.

Understood. I would think all us "old timers" miss the the world that existed in the days of Johnny Carson (especially when he was still in NY).

Back