• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Patch

8ninety8

Awhile back dropped into local dealer to poke around, buy a couple little pricey service items and asked for a patch to sew on me jacket, just for something to do, free brand identity advertising. They didn't have the patch because they said they didn't carry BMW clothing. Go figure?

Recently walked through local big box hardware/lumber/everything else store, and there was a rack of hats made abroad with every automobile badge imaginable, except BMW. Guess I'll pass on the jacket patch.

Go to eBay and search for BMW patch. You'll be awash in a sea of patches of many styles. Several in the $3-5 range.

It always seemed to me that most stores that had the bikes rarely had the gear. The difference always seemed to be the size if the store. I have a feeling that it costs a bundle to get into the BMW clothing business and smaller shops can't swing it.
As for the patch, Remember the big commotion over the logo and the salvation of the "intellectual properties", while it's their (BMW) right, it seems to sour enough people so the demand shrinks. Harley Davidson has taken another approach :burnout
OM

Maybe it's a racing patch, you know, bikes going so fast the colors actually turn to the right? Hey, do you get a free patch when you buy a new bike? That would be a nice touch.

I didn't find the color reversed patch but did find a dozen or so patches with a correct roundel and didn't get past page 1 on eBay.

If I buy one, can BMW sue me for trafficking in counterfeit goods?

Trafficking would be a criminal matter - they can't sue you which would be for a civil matter. Customs might seize your package. Somebody might fly from Berlin to find you to rip the patch from your jacket, but somehow I don't really expect that would happen.

If BMW wants to go after somebody it is most likely the sellers brazenly advertising on eBay and I don't see that happening right now.

Somebody might fly from Berlin to find you to rip the patch from your jacket

I bet he wears a black leather trench coat, fedora and gold wire rim glasses............just like in the first Indiana Jones movie. Where's Karen Allen?

I have heard that, quite unlike HD, BMW jealously guards their logos. Aftermarket stuff, especially of any quality, with their logo is therefore relatively scarce.
HD is lenient, because they feel the logos, regardless odf source, floating around helps their sales, keeps their image forefront with the public.

Noooo. Harley Davidson is far from lenient. To quote from them (to a vendor who put the Bar and Shield on a non-OEM item)

"You are not authorized to reproduce Harley-Davidson's trademarks on products of any kind intended for sale, or to apply them in any manner, including through the use of decals, patches, or stickers, to products made by you or others and intended for sale. Trademarks are not merely "themes" or decorations; they are company-specific icons the chief legal function of which is to identify Harley-Davidson as the source of all products on which they appear. Please remove this listing, and any similar listings, from Etsy immediately and refrain from selling counterfeit products in the future."

Back