• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100rs

EDWARDRITTI

just "inherited" a 1995 R1100RS with 37,000 miles and in good shape however it has sat for 3 years according to the maintenace records - has new fuel pump, alternator and diode just removed and checked out - according to former owner it starts and runs for 40 seconds then shuts off and will not restart enough - i do not have access to hook up to computer - any ideas out there

If there is no evidence of any preventative maintenance done before it was parked for 3 years you are in for some work. By maintenance I mean draining the tank and/or flushing the fuel system. I would begin by pulling the tank, replacing the fuel filter and all fuel and drain lines inside and outside the tank if these are original. I would pull the injectors and send them out to be flushed and cleaned if that is still possible after 3 years of sitting. At that point assuming the fuel pump is OK it might run again. The fact that it starts and dies after 40 seconds is highly indicative of a fuel blockage.

Before you do any of this you can simply pull the injectors out one at a time and using a coffee can see if they even spray fuel at all, what the spray pattern is like if any and go from there.

my approach to these is spend little money until you are able to decide part out or fix.

I would pull out both plugs, if they are not rusted then I would put a teaspoon on oil in each cylinder and crank thru by hand.

The tank needs to come out and be cleaned. The hoses need inspected and probably replaced.

Try to charge the battery,Yes, you will want to change it but if you can avoid spending that money it is good

I would take out the injectors one side at a time and with the end of the fuel line open and directed to a can, cycle the fuel pump a few times to rge the old gas. Then I would put them all back and try to start at.

Once you fix what ever caused it to be put in storage and any other issues, then you can decide to get it ready to ride buy changing all fluids, new tires, new battery, Not until you have it running though

Rod

If you did not install the fuel pump

I would look there first after you have checked the obvious. Try jumping the side stand switch. Look for loose or broken wire connectors. Take a real good look at the fuel pump/sending unit connector as this was the culprit in my hunt for a Gremlin. Before you remove the gas tank make sure the last guy that did it connected the fuel lines correctly, just try switching them and then starting the bike. Then remove the tank and get in there and check to make sure the pump is the right one, filter was changed with the pump, correct filter was used and installed correctly and make sure the fuel lines inside are good and connected correctly. If it all looks good with the obvious stuff you may have to dig out the multimeter and start checking the expensive stuff like the coils and Hall effect sender. Enjoy the challenge and don't give up to quickly.

what anton said.
the only thing you can assume is true is that, after 3 years sitting, any gas in the system is crap. after that, who knows? you could do a bunch of preventative repair as suggested by several above, but knowing what is actually going on would be the best place to start.
Drain gas, charge battery, try to fire it up, go from there in diagnosing and trouble-shooting.
Get back to us when you have a more thorough idea of actual symptoms.

Give me a couple of weeks to sort thru some of these items then I will let you know my progress - thanks for you help - it is too good a bike to give up - again thanks

Give me a couple of weeks to sort thru some of these items then I will let you know my progress - thanks for you help - it is too good a bike to give up - again thanks

Hang in there, it is too good a bike to give up!:thumb

Even if it's NOT an S bike!:groovy

Good luck!!!

Back