• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Schuberth & SRC vs Sena SMH-10

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
Happy New Year to everyone - have a good new year's eve!

I currently have a BMW System 5 helmet and Sena SMH10 communication device. I will be purchasing (as long as it fits properly) a Schuberth C3 Pro in the spring 2014, and I wanted to elicit comments and information/experiences from members of this forum regarding the quality of communications, connectivity, ease of use, etc of SMH10 vs SRC (Scala system).

I find the SMH10 to work really well and it is easy to use. However, it seems a crime to hang this stuff off the Schuberth when they have a very nice integrated communication system (at least from a visual perspective).

So, what are your experiences, comments, thoughts on the two systems?

Last edited:
and info from Scala

Thank you for contacting Cardo Systems Support Center regarding our products.

The scala rider headsets use a 2.4ghz Bluetooth signal to maintain intercom communication.

Please feel free to contact us if we can assist you with any other questions.

Best Regards,

Robert Wargo
Technical Support
Cardo Systems, Inc.

Phone: +1 412.788.4533
Fax: +1 412.788.0270
Toll Free: +1 800.488.0363
International: +49.894.503.6819
robert@cardosystems.com

Perhaps the Sena SMH10R would suit your helmet better. It is very thin and should fit the contour of your C3 pro. Functionally it works the same as the SMH10.

I will be holding out for the Sena 20s coming this spring. Longer range, intercom compatible with other Bluetooth systems, and FM radio are few of the advantages. It is narrower than the SMH10 but not as thin as the SMH10R. I have been happy with the SMH10 for over three years. The new model should be a nice upgrade.

I rode with SENA for 5 years before going to the Scala this past summer. One of my New Years resolutions is to go back to SENA. I find it has better sound quality and longer battery life. And you can plug it in on the bike and use it while it is charging. I don't mind that it sort of spoils the look of the Shuberth.

Happy New Year to everyone - have a good new year's eve!

I currently have a BMW System 5 helmet and Sena SMH10 communication device. I will be purchasing (as long as it fits properly) a Schuberth C3 Pro in the spring 2014, and I wanted to elicit comments and information/experiences from members of this forum regarding the quality of communications, connectivity, ease of use, etc of SMH10 vs SRC (Scala system).

I find the SMH10 to work really well and it is easy to use. However, it seems a crime to hang this stuff off the Schuberth when they have a very nice integrated communication system (at least from a visual perspective).

So, what are your experiences, comments, thoughts on the two systems?

I purchased a Schuberth C3 and SCR System June 2012. The SRC is Cardo compatible. I don't believe the SRC is compatible with the SMH10 (but I'm not really sure!). The SRC unit is based on the Cardo Scala G4 system. So check with compatiblity with other units if you are hoping to communicate with others you ride with. I'm told the Schuberth unit is much quieter than others due to the communication unit integration with the collar on the helmet. I've only had/used this helmet. It is very easy to use and works well with my riding buddies. They have the Cardo Scala G9. (Scala G9x will be out before spring)...

The SRC unit has a limited range due to its integration with the helmet collar. Thus no true external antenna. The new Schuberth C3 Pro has an antenna integrated in the helmet itself. So range will be increased somewhat. You will pay a premium for the SRC as it does work with a rather expensive helmet.

The Cardo Units, mount clamped to the outside of the helmet and range is doubled.

I haven't had any real issues with riding on highways and losing connections with the other riders. Riding in "deals gap" for instance, connections are lost due to interference from mountainous terrain, trees, twisties, etc. Line of sight is necessary for a good connection.

Greg

I tried a bunch of bluetooth helmet to helmet communicators at a demo, and the best by far was the UClear. As a plus it is boomless, which a few others now have as well.

Back