• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Battery tenders

Does anyone have any experience with the Optimate CAN-bus model chargers? Are they safe for the electronics on the bike?

Does anyone have any experience with the Optimate CAN-bus model chargers? Are they safe for the electronics on the bike?
Welcome to the forum! This question comes up quite often, I take it you have an F-Twin as you posted in this section? Most of the "bulk" battery chargers/maintainer questions usually are in the gear section- so you might check there for more answers.
I have an F800GS and went with my favorite mode of the direct wire to the battery with the SAE type connector- connected to a Battery Tender (brand) charger.
As you get going on the forum you can fill in a bit more info like the actual bike, year and model. In the mean time, enjoy the forum.
Any questions, just ask.
Gary

Over the years I've used the Battery Tender brand, the Yuasa type, and of late the Optimate series.

Hooked up to the DR650 is an older Optimate 3. It is worry free and keeps the battery topped off without frying it.

Then recently I purchased the Optimate 4 dual mode. The programs are switched using the + & - leads. And somehow the diagram on the back got away from me so I posted here hunting instructions. Here's the link.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?71227-Optimate-4-charger-maintainer

Re: Optimate Charger

I purchased the Optimate 4 Can-Bus charger when I got my f650gs. The dealer recommended it, and I've had no problems. I plug it into the power outlet. This is my 2nd winter using it.

Back