• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

service light 2010 R1200RT

E

EJANECEK

hello,

Can anyone tell me how to extinguish the "service" light on my 2010 R1200RT (besides taking it to the dealer)? The manual refers to a yearly checkup, but it was just in for service before the light came on.

Thanks,

Ed

hello,

Can anyone tell me how to extinguish the "service" light on my 2010 R1200RT (besides taking it to the dealer)? The manual refers to a yearly checkup, but it was just in for service before the light came on.

Thanks,

Ed
Welcome to the forum Ed! I'm going to bump you up one notch to Hexhead/Camhead for better positioning of your question. As far as I know, the only way is with something like the GS911. They have been around a while and there is a great thread in the gear section about the "new being tested" bluetooth version.
If you would like to have an idea on how they (GS911) work, there is a nice walk-through in our tech section.
Again, welcome- any questions, just ask.
Gary

Welcome to the site Ed.
If your bike was just in for service they should have reset the service light after the service.
Call your dealer and tell them it appears they forgot to reset the light and ask if they'll reset it for you the next time you're at the shop.

Dealer or GS-911.

I just posted a short review in my blog and closed by saying that for me it's worth it just to reset the service light on my bikes.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com

PS: at least twice dealers have failed to reset the service interval after a service visit. Closest dealer is 265 miles away.

Just get your riding buddy, your pal, your clubmate, your whatever who has a GS911 to reset it for you.
That's what I do for the pals, as I have the GS911. All they got to do is ask.
dc

I do my own routine maintenance and don't want to buy a GS911.

I've noticed that when I'm looking at the road ahead of me that I don't even see the message. :D

I do my own routine maintenance and don't want to buy a GS911.

I've noticed that when I'm looking at the road ahead of me that I don't even see the message. :D

The silly light came on at 6,000 miles. Been on ever since. I do all my own maint. I have 25,000 miles on the bike first year. I would have had it put out 5 times so far. Screw it, the bike is fine, its just a true idiot light.

David

hello,

Thanks,

Ed

The Dealer Extortion Light?Find someone with a GS911

Or just ignore it. I do.

If the text is the same size as on the K1300S, it's easy to ignore because it's really tiny.

I can remember a couple years ago someone kept saying you had to clear the Service warning or you would get the yellow triangle after awhile. Turns out that wasn't true.

OP asked a specific question but gets "don't look at it" answers

hello,

Thanks,

Ed

Sorry but it bothers me when someone asks something specific like, "besides taking to the dealer..." and people, instead of saying nothing reply, "don't look at it." Realy? I think it's a great question. I was able to reset a error light on my Honda outboard because someone showed a way using a bent paperclip to make a jumper and reset the light. I'm assuming that's the kind of info the OP is looking for.
Okay my rant is over.

Sorry but it bothers me when someone asks something specific like, "besides taking to the dealer..." and people, instead of saying nothing reply, "don't look at it." Realy? I think it's a great question. I was able to reset a error light on my Honda outboard because someone showed a way using a bent paperclip to make a jumper and reset the light. I'm assuming that's the kind of info the OP is looking for.
Okay my rant is over.

Yeah, the one word answers or and obvious “take it to the dealer” is not very helpful.......Not sure what motivates posters to do it.
Just a (unfortunate) part of forum experiences.
Enjoy the good, try to tune out the bad.
OM

Okay my rant is over.

Hopefully OP finally got an answer...it's been almost six years since he posted his question.

Back