• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1995 R11GS - OEM Plastic Tank

shropdog

I just bought a '95 R11GS with 4k miles on it. The bike has the OEM plastic tank and I remember from way back, they were being replaced under warranty by BMW for metal tanks. I know this bike is 19 years old but, does anyone know if BMW is still replacing these tanks (I know...it's a long shot!). Actually, the tank is in good condition with the only paint bubbling by the fuel neck. I heard the recall involved only bikes within a specific VIN range. I asked a couple of dealers but, they looked at me like I was nuts and one had not even heard of the recall. Any insight will be appreciated....thanks!

Last edited:
Apparently your "dealers" are not customer-wise... or maybe they're just quite lazy...

Any time there is a "Recall" question, they are supposed to look up your VIN on the official BMW computer and not only answer your question, but also determine if there are ANY outstanding recalls against it.

You may also find out something by going directly to the NHTSA website and researching their recalls, but I don't know how long they keep records for.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/

Interesting. The fuel tank on my 94RS is plastic, which I would assume is the same plastic as used on the GS fuel tank.

In almost 20 years of owning/riding my RS I have not had ONE issue with the fuel tank or fuel system for that matter. The plastic fuel tank on my RS is original to the bike. Up here in Wisconsin it's not too hard to avoid E10 or E15 fuel, and I make it a point to not use E10 whenever possible and I NEVER store any bike with E10 fuel in it. Either it is stored with non-E10 or no fuel at all.

Interesting. The fuel tank on my 94RS is plastic, which I would assume is the same plastic as used on the GS fuel tank.

In almost 20 years of owning/riding my RS I have not had ONE issue with the fuel tank or fuel system for that matter. The plastic fuel tank on my RS is original to the bike. Up here in Wisconsin it's not too hard to avoid E10 or E15 fuel, and I make it a point to not use E10 whenever possible and I NEVER store any bike with E10 fuel in it. Either it is stored with non-E10 or no fuel at all.

Not the same plastic formulation. The seepage or outgassing was widespread on the GS bikes and virtually unheard of on the RS bikes.

Ahhh,...as expected Paul provides clarity to a perceived response. Interesting though that BMW used a different material for two different fuel tanks.

Any input on what the two materials are?

That said, on my 2002 RS the tank has swelled a bit from the alcohol. Not enough to be a Huge problem, but it is harder to put on and line up the side plastic. Since I can now get non alcohol laced gas, I think is is shrinking a little. I do hope so. NO paint bubbling. No leaks. Just some untidy gaps. Now at 12 years old and over 90K sMiles it does not bother me as much. Just as long as she keeps running!

And that she does. Outlasted many girlfriends, she is my truest most trusted friend.

Rod

Before you assume that the tank is good I would suggest pulling it off and checking the bottom - that's generally where the worst damage occurs. I got a '95 GS with the original plastic tank from the original owner (a friend) who never availed himself of the recall. The tank looked good on top but was covered with blisters on the bottom - each blister was filled with gasoline, the only thing preventing it from leaking was the paint.

You can use an 1150 tank on your 1100, you just need to buy the rubber pieces on the front of the tank as they are different between the two models. I found a new 1150 steel tank on eBay, and there are always used ones listed. If you do buy one on eBay make certain that it is steel and not plastic as there are some nos plastic tanks out there as well and the sellers conveniently neglect to specify the material - the plastic tanks make nice flower planters but very poor fuel tanks. Don't ask how I know that.......

Good Luck,

Bob Johnson

Back