• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 GSW fuel milage

AZrider
had some spare time today and answered a question i've been asking myself for a long time. Does the 5 engine managements result in better fuel milage. below are results I came up with.
temp for the testing time was 60 deg. wind was light breeze east to west road was north to south with 3- 45mph curves. tire pressure F-38lbs, R-43lbs. held constant speed over 6mi course in both directions with cruise control.
speed dyn rd rain end pro
45 67
50 62
55 55
60 51 51 51 51 51
65 46 46 46 46 46
70 42 42 42 42 42

didn't test road rain endure pro at 45, 50, 55 since 60-65-70 mph speeds proved no difference on which map was used.
I for one was surprised with the constant results. so I'll be using dyn except in rain or dirt.

How exactly did you measure? Did you have a way to weight average the cockpit display readings? How do those readings relate to the actual fuel consumption ( assuming you can trust the gas station meters)?
Sorry, as a research engineer I get paid to ask probing questions....

How exactly did you measure? Did you have a way to weight average the cockpit display readings? How do those readings relate to the actual fuel consumption ( assuming you can trust the gas station meters)?
Sorry, as a research engineer I get paid to ask probing questions....

the on board comp shows avg fuel used as u drive. the speed was per on board GPS. zeroed both on each run. the 2013 GS has a very good cruise control. I have over 16000 mi on bike and can verify the fuel avg shown is very accurate. the computer also shows what my miles are to empty and that is accurate. I have been in-between long gas stations with only .1 gals remainig in tank.

Thread revival!

From what I gather the engine management modes affect throttle response, ABS, traction control and maybe suspension settings (not sure on the last one). I wouldn't think any of those variables would make a difference in your test since you kept a constant speed. I would be interested to know how gas mileage varies when using the different modes in normal road conditions. I'll predict that the more aggressive modes get worse gas mileage but I have no idea how much worse it would be. Probably depends on the riding style to a great extent.

Back