• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Electrical Problem. I NEED HELP

Mahaflac

So last night I had a scary moment. I'm riding home on country Roads after Dark. No Street lights. Riding 70 MPH and all of my lights go out. Headlight, running lights, fog lights, tail lights, blinkers, speedometer light, Tach light, Horn doesn't work, Heated grips do not work, Blinkers don't work. **Brake lights work from both front and rear pedals**. The instrument panel works and the RID light works. I manage to get stopped and pull into a parking lot. I smell electrical burn from somewhere on the bike. I check fuses under the seat and all seam to be fine. The only thing that was different last night is I had the High beams on and had Heated grips on. I have had heated grips on with low beams and everything has been fine. I always run with my fog lights on for visibility. This is my only transportation and I need to get it Fixed ASAP

2002 BMW R 1150 RT. 71000 miles.

Frustrated and Ready to sell.

Do you know approximately where the load relief is located. I can follow the schematic (thanks for sending, I did not have the schematic) but like to have an idea where to look. I plan on digging in soon. I'm not real familiar with the electrical side of this thing. I love the bike, I just live 3 hours from a service shop. If I can't do the repair... it is a pain in the rear to get fixed.

It is under the rider's seat in the electrical box. You can see it in the diagram below (but ignore the Pink Coding Plug pointer).

PinkCCP.jpg

If there is any doubt about the Load Relief Relay (or the Motronic Relay for that matter) feel free to swap it with the Horn Relay. But first verify that your horn works. If problem persists it was not due to Load Relief Relay.

There are unfused circuits in that bike. Headlight is one.
Since you said there was a burning smell I suspect that a short has damaged some of the harness wiring.
Aux lighting often gets connected to the headlight wiring and causes trouble.

If the above is correct, I'm afraid this will not be a quick and easy fix.

There are unfused circuits in that bike. Headlight is one.
Since you said there was a burning smell I suspect that a short has damaged some of the harness wiring.
Aux lighting often gets connected to the headlight wiring and causes trouble.

If the above is correct, I'm afraid this will not be a quick and easy fix.

True, interestingly they provided separate fuses on the 2004 RT for high and low beams ...

True, interestingly they provided separate fuses on the 2004 RT for high and low beams ...

They added fuses to the later bikes.
IIRC GSAddict pointed out the problem to BMW early on and it seems they took him seriously without giving credit.

The schematic you linked shows fuses but is marked "US models 2003 - 2006" whereas the OP has a 2002.

Back