• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BRAND NEW R90S Build by MAXBMW !!!

A very clever marketing project, by Max. For the cost equivalent of a number of full page magazine ads, they've done something that's generated an "incredible" (in their words) response, from people all over the world.

As for what they'll do with the bike: bet that it will go on rotating display at their stores, with a professionally produced sign next to it, explaining how it came about.

This is a new mc with all new parts with zero miles and not a restoration. Therefore, since this is a new mc and never registered, how are they going to register it as a 2013 R90S ? An R90S doesn't conform to any new vehicle regulations that have emerged since 1976 and there must be a ton of them. So, how are they going to register this one of a kind beauty or maybe they never ever planned to register it at all? I see this machine becoming part of someones collection and never ridden, kind of sad in a way.

Probably the way that every custom chopper builder in the US registers their "bikes". Just because it looks like a 1975 BMW R90S doesn't mean that it necessarily needs to be registered as one. They have indicated on their Facebook page that they intend to register it and see the registration as "just going through a process". I have registered a number of rebuilt motorcycles with no registrations (including some that had never been registered) and they all were just a matter of doing a bunch of paperwork, running around and spending some cash (sometimes a large helping of frustration was thrown in for free when you ran into a low level bureaucrat that couldn't deal with something out of the ordinary).

Six parts were not available new: swingarm, rear brake lever, rear brake linkage arm, tach drive gear (they substituted an electronic tach from a newer model since Motometer is no longer in business), tach drive washer, right fork slider (they plan on possibly substituting with R100S sliders to lower the number of used parts from 6 to 5).

Total cost of parts: $46,000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty4rodPkLgQ&feature=share&list=UUTECvmv6LfMU9QUUdUpMhaw

They will be putting together an edited video documenting the build and test drive. I will try to post it as soon as I see it or if you see it first, put it up for all to enjoy.

Hats off to Max and his crew for a very interesting exercise!:bow

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
This is a new mc with all new parts with zero miles and not a restoration. Therefore, since this is a new mc and never registered, how are they going to register it as a 2013 R90S ? An R90S doesn't conform to any new vehicle regulations that have emerged since 1976 and there must be a ton of them. So, how are they going to register this one of a kind beauty or maybe they never ever planned to register it at all?

Here in California one registers this kind of project as a "specially constructed vehicle". Most states have a similar provision.

Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles

A "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle that is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or re-manufacturer. These vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or a vehicle reported for dismantling (junked) that, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle that was dismantled.

A specially constructed vehicle (SPCNS) does not include a vehicle that has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle.

NOTE: The registration requirements for kit commercial vehicles are the same as for specially constructed vehicles.

The Registration Requirements are:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for a vehicle verification. DMV verifies trailers with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less.
A completed Statement of Construction (REG 5036).
Proof of ownership, such as invoices, receipts, manufacturers? certificates of origin, bills of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, and body).

NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued a $5,000 or more.
Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for off-highway vehicles or trailers weighing less than 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
A weight certificate for commercial vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less.
An emission control inspection (smog check) by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station. Click here for information on SPCNS Certificates of Sequence . To make an appointment at a BAR Referee Station, call 1-800-622-7733.
All fees due.
Visit your local DMV to begin the application process, make an Appointment(s) for faster service.

(My emphasis added)

Ref. -> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

And just how does one obtain an emission control inspection...

Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control

What is the Specially Constructed Vehicle Emission Control Program?

Existing law requires most 1976 and newer model year vehicles to pass an emissions control inspection (smog check) prior to original registration, transfer of ownership, and every second annual renewal. Since specially constructed vehicles (SPCNS) are homemade and do not have a manufacturer-assigned year model of the vehicle or they must be taken to a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station for the original inspection. Upon completion of the inspection, the referee will affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the year model for future inspection purposes.

What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?

An SPCNS certificate of sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose an emission control inspection based on the year model of the vehicle or the engine used in the vehicle (If the vehicle or engine does not resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the year model). The certificate is issued by DMV headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

Per California Vehicle Code ?4750.1, only 500 certificates can be issued in a calendar year. Once the yearly allotment has been issued, vehicles will be assigned a year model matching the calendar year in which the application is submitted or applicants must wait until the following year to apply for a certificate.

Note: Due to the limited number of SPCNS certificates of sequence available, you may wish to submit your application for registration in person at a local DMV office.

Previously registered vehicles may be included as one of the first 500 applicants in a calendar year and apply for a different year model determination.

An SPCNS certificate of sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. If the vehicle is sold before the application complete, the seller of the vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS certificate of sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents. In addition, fees deposited in one calendar year cannot be held over for the next year's allocation of certificates.

An SPCNS certificate of sequence cannot be reissued if the record shows a smog exempt status and the original State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Information Label is not affixed to the vehicle for:
? SPCNS nonresident vehicles with a vehicle record showing a smog exempt status.
? Buyers registering a vehicle as SPCNS with smog exempt status on the record.
In these cases, the owner must take the vehicle to BAR.

(My emphasis added)

Ref. -> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

If
the registration year, in New Hampshire, is determined in a similar manner as here in California, I guess my question would be who would want a 2013 BMW 90s. I mean, I WOULD, because having a virtually new, reliable, R90S would be a total gas. But I would think that it's value as a "vintage" vehicle would be significantly compromised. But maybe this isn't an issue, if the machine isn't for sale.

Six parts were not available new: swingarm, rear brake lever, rear brake linkage arm, tach drive gear (they substituted an electronic tach from a newer model since Motometer is no longer in business), tach drive washer, right fork slider

Brake linkage arm I know about; I've tried to get one! Max sells a repro but it's pricey.
I don't know what the difference is between a /6 fork leg and a /7 fork leg (which an R100S is); sounds like a logical substitution to me. Could be the fender mounting?
Tach; I think going with the electronic tach is another fine substitution. Takes care of the gear, washer and instrument in one fell swoop.
Brake arm, OK.
That list doesn't mention the instrument housing itself, which I understand is NLA.

If the registration year, in New Hampshire, is determined in a similar manner as here in California, I guess my question would be who would want a 2013 BMW 90s. I mean, I WOULD, because having a virtually new, reliable, R90S would be a total gas. But I would think that it's value as a "vintage" vehicle would be significantly compromised. But maybe this isn't an issue, if the machine isn't for sale.

In essence, can't the "year" be pretty much whatever Max chooses?

Brake linkage arm I know about; I've tried to get one! Max sells a repro but it's pricey.
I don't know what the difference is between a /6 fork leg and a /7 fork leg (which an R100S is); sounds like a logical substitution to me. Could be the fender mounting?
Tach; I think going with the electronic tach is another fine substitution. Takes care of the gear, washer and instrument in one fell swoop.
Brake arm, OK.
That list doesn't mention the instrument housing itself, which I understand is NLA.

Just repeating what I thought they said near the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty4rodPkLgQ&feature=share&list=UUTECvmv6LfMU9QUUdUpMhaw

I know nothing about Airheads. K75Ss are my thing.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

The "north" of $46,000 for parts...dealer cost or retail? Because the R90S crankshaft list for $1,963.00, flywheel $461.00, camshaft $461.00, short block $2,819.00 and fuel tank (primed only) $1,193.00. So add the frame that's $2,173.55 and $1,600 for the wheels and $1,346 for rear drive...now at $12,016 for 8 parts with over 1,600 more parts to go...Say we got 4 days in labor (not counting the hours involved in actually ordering parts)...going with two techs at $90.00 an hour each times the 64 tech hours equals $5,760.00 labor and of course estimated misc. shop supplies at $2,600.00 (5%). All said with tongue-in-cheek, but I do wonder what a project like this would cost if one wanted to take it on as a private individual? Plus now you'd need to find a good painter since there's no more painted parts in the pipeline. Did enjoy the project and ability it showed.

The "north" of $46,000 for parts...dealer cost or retail?

We don't know whether Max meant retail list cost of the parts, or their dealer cost. In any event, all the costs, including labour, will be inside their corporation, i.e. pre-tax, and it may be that I.R.S. rules also allow these costs to be deducted from their gross profits, which would result in a cost reduction.

I wonder what a project like this would cost...

It would be interesting to know Max's net cost, as their accountants would book it, and also, the cost to an individual (although the question of an individual building something like this is admittedly academic).

We don't know whether Max meant retail list cost of the parts, or their dealer cost. In any event, all the costs, including labour, will be inside their corporation, i.e. pre-tax, and it may be that I.R.S. rules also allow these costs to be deducted from their gross profits, which would result in a cost reduction.

It would be interesting to know Max's net cost, as their accountants would book it, and also, the cost to an individual (although the question of an individual building something like this is admittedly academic).

Yes, mostly academic Rinty, I agree. However, should I ever win a Mega Lottery, say in the net $135,000,000 area...I might consider doing a build like this for "fun"! LOL...

The "north" of $46,000 for parts...dealer cost or retail? Because the R90S crankshaft list for $1,963.00, flywheel $461.00, camshaft $461.00, short block $2,819.00 and fuel tank (primed only) $1,193.00. So add the frame that's $2,173.55 and $1,600 for the wheels and $1,346 for rear drive...now at $12,016 for 8 parts ...

A short block includes the crank and some other stuff, so you're double-dipping a bit.

OTOH the exhaust system is well over $1000 and the forks are about $1000 per side, and there's still the transmission so the expensive items aren't over yet.

All that said, I'm guessing the $46k was retail.

I'd agree the $46,000 was retail. I dont think MAX would want to advertise their cost for a couple reasons. #1 people would feel like MAX was thumbing their nose at the regular people, who couldn't build it "wholesale", and its a bigger bang, a bigger, more expensive deal at retail.

I would also guess that it couldn't be called a 2013, as a vehicle built with "old" parts couldn't meet 2013 safety and EPA regulations.

...should I ever win a Mega Lottery, say in the net $135,000,000 area...I might consider doing a build like this for "fun"! LOL...

With a number that large, you wouldn't have to think twice about doing it.

But the interesting question for me, is what would a high net worth collector do with, say $100,000? Is he going to build a brand new R90S, or would he put the money towards acquiring something like an R37?

Last edited:
Devils advocate helmet on for a moment.

You win $XXX million in a lottery...the sponsoring agencies made Y x $XXX dollars running it.

What model would you have the BMW MOA contract MAX to build so that it could raffle off a new ____ and make a buck for the association?

Devils advocate helmet on for a moment.

You win $XXX million in a lottery...the sponsoring agencies made Y x $XXX dollars running it.

What model would you have the BMW MOA contract MAX to build so that it could raffle off a new ____ and make a buck for the association?

1988 R100RS, but with red paint like this R100S...

bmwr10.jpg88r100rs.jpg

Back