• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BRAND NEW R90S Build by MAXBMW !!!

I would have that! Must be a slow winter there.
Cant imagine what the price tag will be. And you will STILL have to add a billet top clamp!
It is pretty amazing though..

This demonstrates the support BMW has for it's bikes. Try this with a 40 year old Honda 750!

You may not be able to build a CB750 from dealer stock, but Honda made 400,000 of the SOHC version between 1969 and 1978 and I never ever had trouble getting reasonably priced parts for mine.

The motovation I needed

Oh boy. Now I am motivated to begin my 1976 R90S! I picked her up a few years ago knowing at some point I would make her all pretty again. Paint is near perfect, luckily, but the frame is scratched, lots of dust, just not well looked after. A nice base to work off. Has Morris wheels and a rear disc. About 50,000 miles indicated, no paperwork to support it, will find out the real story when I get my gloves on. This build by Max is a really cool idea as well as a terrific motovator considering the time of year, high fives to their marketing folks.
Regards,
Kurt

The live web cam is perfect to leave up on monitor #2 while I work. Thanks for posting this! :)

The live web cam is perfect to leave up on monitor #2 while I work. Thanks for posting this! :)

I've left it running today. It's cool even if I don't know what they're doing: readjust this part, fiddle with that part, move the camera, squirt some lube.

Ah, something I recognize: rings on the piston and fit in the cylinder!

Noel

What a great project!!!

. Try this with a 40 year old Honda 750!

Well.... have YOU ever tried this? I restored a 1975 Honda CB750K5. New body work, new fenders, new exhaust, new seat, all new seals and gaskets, new top-end, new switchgear, new engine covers, new rear wheel hub, new rims (with new spokes), new instruments. All NOS parts obtained over the period of 6 months and I did not have to sell my first born.
Oh, O.K. you're right, it is not 40 years old!:D

Why don't we have that same thread in another section. After all, all godd things are three....:D

Well.... have YOU ever tried this? I restored a 1975 Honda CB750K5. New body work, new fenders, new exhaust, new seat, all new seals and gaskets, new top-end, new switchgear, new engine covers, new rear wheel hub, new rims (with new spokes), new instruments. All NOS parts obtained over the period of 6 months and I did not have to sell my first born.
Oh, O.K. you're right, it is not 40 years old!:D

Good for you Mike! Doing a restoration is one thing, but sourcing virtually EVERY part (frame, all parts to build (not rebuild) an engine and tranny from ground up, every fastener, gasket, wire, etc., to build a complete bike from NOTHING is pretty amazing.

If it CAN be done with another specific bike, I stand corrected, (how is Honda's support for the early CBX six cylinder bikes or the turbos?),but that wasn't really the point. The point was to highlight BMW's parts support for our bikes and to enjoy the four day build from the ground up.

If you are not enjoying the build, maybe there is another thread that you might enjoy more. I retract my earlier misinformed comment about Honda 750s. This thread should not become a thread about them. I only posted this for our members to enjoy. Sorry.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
The point was to highlight BMW's parts support for our bikes

Some things that come to mind:

Everybody who has ever worked on a classic bike, BMW or else, and has bought parts from the OEM, knows how deep you have to reach into your pockets to purchase parts. I don't even want to try to guess what the bill would be for a guy like you and I to buy all these parts from BMW.

I am a little bit of a Doubting Thomas, that ALL parts for a project like this can be sourced from BMW. How many of us have run into the "NLA" response from a dealer when trying to buy a part for a /2,/5,/6 or /7.
I know a friend of mine had to buy a replacement block for his 90S, because the housing was porous and leaking oil in the front. Supposedly he got the last one in North America 4 years ago. Maybe they ran another casting batch.

I apologize for my lackluster attitude towards this, but I can't see this as anything exciting or desirable - leave alone financially feasible - for anyone to do. Now if you are a BMW dealer and get some PR mileage out of it - O.K. And then again...you are a business! what are you going to do once it is done? Hope someone buys it for 100K?

If MOA wants to sell more foundation tickets next year, just get one of Max's R90S build ups, sky's the limit IMO. The build shouldn't cost more than 23 grand. Get order in soon, there's probably a long line cueing up.

Don't fer git to order the motor a little hotted up. Keep the nine hunerd pistons, change the cam, four plugs, balance the whole thing from the tip of the cam to the drive shaft, tranny kit, that's my suggestion. Maybe throw in a suzuki upside down front end, WTH, throw in side braces and raise the motor while yer at it. And don't fer git to throw in a nice set krausers with mounts.

It's an exercise in "What if --" and "I wonder if we can--", not practicality or financial prudence.

Some times doing something "a little crazy" is more fun and rewarding to the soul.

And when someone else is footing the bill and letting you watch for free, why rain on their parade. Which reminds me; parades are not practical or financially prudent either. They're just fun.

Just kick back and enjoy or go find something elsewhere (as in a different thread that may be more to you liking) that you DO enjoy.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
or go find something elsewhere that you DO enjoy.

Seriously, Lee, with that attitude I am questioning your qualifications as a FORUM moderator. Are you aware of what forums are for and what usually happens there?

...go find something elsewhere that you DO enjoy.

IMHO, that was uncalled for.

I find it surprising how an offhand comment which references the positive reliability of a different make of motorcycle than BMW has seemingly been interpreted as a slag against BMW or against this interesting R90S build project. So, can we just get together and hug this out? :laugh

And congrats to you, Mr. Simon, on your K5 build. :thumb

Back