• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Taking the ferry

OFOAM1

OFOAM
Yeah, it's way out there but I'm looking at routes to the national in St. Paul. One of the possibles is to take Rt6 through Canada to Tobermory. We'd take the ferry over to Manitoulin Island then continue on. Has anyone actually been on that ferry? What's your impression? How is it for bike tie downs? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mick

The ferry

I've gone several different routes to St. Paul. The Tobermory ferry is ok but I think the better one is at Luddington across Lake Michigan. I don' think you make up any time using highway 6; actually I think, all in all, it costs you time. The alternate route around, via 69, is quicker and highway 6 is a pain in the n**ts for speed traps. As someone pointed out, the ride around Superior is very scenic, but takes you the really long way around. All that being said, bikes board first, obviously, and I have never had it that it was too full to take another bike, so reservations may not be critical. You need your own tie downs and if you don't get up on deck quickly a lot of the cage drivers hog 3 or 4 of the good seats each.

Ferry - Badger

I know this is about the Tobermory, but also wanted everyone to know the SSBadger is offering BMW MOA members a 20% discount on their rates. It's a 4-hour ride from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. I've taken this ferry many times, and always enjoy it. Nice, relaxing and bypasses CHI

Sunset sail sm.jpg

Outstanding! I've taken the Badger many times, it's a nice ride! Get there early- they load bikes on first, off first, so you're not stuck in traffic on the other side-

Likewise we've taken the Badger across Lake Michigan Fall 2012 w our K1200LT. They had a package out of Ludington that included an over nite stay on board, breakfast, and 9 AM departure to Manitowoc which we enjoyed. The 60 yr old ship is in remarkable condition (fresh water?) and is incredibly smooth running.

There was one other BMW bike on board, an oilhead. His tipped over from the fairly rough crossing. The Badger is big, but so is Michigan N-S, and the n-w wind was substantial. Tie downs are to a very adequate vehicle floor based ventilation grate, but bring ratcheting type nylon strap tie down & connect them to a hard point on the bike frame. Not the handlebars. I used the rear seat lock on my LT.

SS Badger discount

I know this is about the Tobermory, but also wanted everyone to know the SSBadger is offering BMW MOA members a 20% discount on their rates. It's a 4-hour ride from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. I've taken this ferry many times, and always enjoy it. Nice, relaxing and bypasses CHI

View attachment 43069

The SS Badger website does not have anything about the 20% discount for MOA members or Rally.
I emailed, but got no response.
Is there a code available to use on the website to get the discount?
Thanks!
Howard

The SS Badger website does not have anything about the 20% discount for MOA members or Rally.
I emailed, but got no response.
Is there a code available to use on the website to get the discount?
Thanks!
Howard

This was what their director told me: >>>>We begin taking reservations in late February 2014. At that time, your attendees can call and mention the BMW MOA rally and receive the 20% discount.<<<

The contact is Sara Ewing, Director of Ticketing and Reservations
888-227-2628

This was what their director told me: >>>>We begin taking reservations in late February 2014. At that time, your attendees can call and mention the BMW MOA rally and receive the 20% discount.<<<

The contact is Sara Ewing, Director of Ticketing and Reservations
888-227-2628

Just confirmed with Sara...Calling that number and mentioning BMW MOA will get the discount. They took advantage of their down season to revamp their computer system. When it's fully functional in late April, you can enter the code with an on-line booking. Meanwhile call for reservations for the discount!

Enjoy the ride!! (I always do)

Both ways?

Is the discount offered both ways or just on the way TO the Rally? We're looking at taking the long way there and the ferry on the way home.

Advice for routes/SS Badger

I booked my one way ss Badger ticket from Ludington to Manitowoc (no problem with the 20% discount). I am starting in Northern NY, and will not have a lot of time to ride to the Rally, be there until Sunday and get home (work is a pia!)
So, I was hoping to get great information from the forum on best routes. I figure I will ride the slab to Buffalo, then to Brantford ON the first day. Brantford to Ludington MI the second, take the 8:30 am ferry the next morning, arrive in Manitowoc at 11:30 am and get to the Rally that evening.
I have never been in these areas.
Suggestions on the route?
I took another poster's suggestion and ordered all the paper maps from Ontario and the states I'm going through and I'm spreading them out now and will plot the exact route the old fashioned way.
Thanks!
Howard

I booked my one way ss Badger ticket from Ludington to Manitowoc (no problem with the 20% discount). I am starting in Northern NY, and will not have a lot of time to ride to the Rally, be there until Sunday and get home (work is a pia!)
So, I was hoping to get great information from the forum on best routes. I figure I will ride the slab to Buffalo, then to Brantford ON the first day. Brantford to Ludington MI the second, take the 8:30 am ferry the next morning, arrive in Manitowoc at 11:30 am and get to the Rally that evening.
I have never been in these areas.
Suggestions on the route?
I took another poster's suggestion and ordered all the paper maps from Ontario and the states I'm going through and I'm spreading them out now and will plot the exact route the old fashioned way.
Thanks!
Howard

If time is a concern, from Manitowoc to the Rally, I suggest this route: US10 West to I94 West, I94 West to St. Paul and the Snelling Ave exit ( Exit 238 ), Right on Snelling Ave. to the Rally Site (MN State Fairgrounds).

ss badger/route to Rally

If time is a concern, from Manitowoc to the Rally, I suggest this route: US10 West to I94 West, I94 West to St. Paul and the Snelling Ave exit ( Exit 238 ), Right on Snelling Ave. to the Rally Site (MN State Fairgrounds).

Thanks OldNuke.
I was looking at that route last night. How long do you think it would take from Manitowoc to St Paul?

Howard

Back