• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2000 R1100RS Engine Cuts Out

bluehole

Over the past few months the engine on my R1100RS (41,000 miles) has cut out several times. The engine stops running suddenly and immediately?no sputtering or stumbling. The first time it happened was last spring. After it died, the engine would turn over, but not start. After waiting a few minutes it started and nothing happened again until a few weeks ago. It has cut out a few more times, most recently yesterday. Like last spring?s event, the engine stops abruptly, but recently it has fired up within a 30-60 seconds of cutting out.

I have also noticed the engine feels like it is surging or missing a bit at highway speeds in fourth and fifth gear.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any thoughts on what the problem may be? I have run fuel treatment, but the problem persists. Could it be the beginning of Hall Effect problem or is that an immediate and complete failure?

Thanks Folks.

P.S. I have checked and the intake is clear of S bike parts. :)

yes, could certainly be HES wiring issue. pop it open, get a look. rarely is it that the HES itself goes bad- usually just the wires leading into it, and those can be replaced via a kit.

could also be fuel pump/filter/hoses related, but sounds slightly less likely.

if you give us more specifics around conditions at time of shut-down (cold or hot motor? low or full fuel tank? etc),it would help in the diagnosing.

Could also be SJS, which RSs seem to suffer from quite badly. it is more commonly known as "R1100S Jealousy Syndrome". symptoms include an insatiable desire to hunt down rice burners in the canyon twisties, fear of riding next to large glass windows (the realization that an RS is just a homely cousin to the S seems to greatly bother most RS models), and attempts to eject that honking big muffler at the slightest provocation.

:) Y'all crack me up.

Yes, I guess it could be SJS, but that is more likely to occur when an S is in view. I think something else may be causing the problem.

The engine temperature has been normal and fuel level has been from 1/4 to virtually full during these events.

:) Y'all crack me up.

Yes, I guess it could be SJS, but that is more likely to occur when an S is in view. I think something else may be causing the problem.

The engine temperature has been normal and fuel level has been from 1/4 to virtually full during these events.

Don't let the "S" guys bully you because they have what's called CIC or better known as "constant inferiority complex whenever near an RS. :laugh

Bad HES wiring! Replace or rewire.

With the mileage, age and symptoms I agree with Paul. It's classic HES wiring failure mode. At some point it will quit altogether. I wouldn't wander too far from home until it is repaired or replaced. Cheapest OEM replacement I know of is here: http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=hall+sensor

Another option if you can handle some down time is to have it rewired professionally. That is usually all that is wrong. Contact GSAddict on this forum. He's done a _lot_ of these and you won't be fixing it again once it's done right.

Could also be SJS, which RSs seem to suffer from quite badly. it is more commonly known as "R1100S Jealousy Syndrome". symptoms include an insatiable desire to hunt down rice burners in the canyon twisties, fear of riding next to large glass windows (the realization that an RS is just a homely cousin to the S seems to greatly bother most RS models), and attempts to eject that honking big muffler at the slightest provocation.

I've never heard of this affliction but I own an "S" so why would I ever be jealous of any other bike? When I'm on the "S" I do see many RS owners gazing in my direction but I always put that down to my rugged good looks.:blush

But as Happy Wanderer and Mr. Glaves have advised, I will be replacing/rewiring my HES over the next couple of months (the downside of living in Vancouver is the sparsity of decent riding weather between December and March). Preventive maintenance is much preferred to the alternative.

The services of GSAddict are well documented and will be accessed.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. I will check into the HES

Funny guy. Keep your day job.

Well, I can't take credit for that one. I "borrowed" it from one of those glamorous West Coast Beautiful People...

See: Oilheads:post a picture of your oilhead:page141:post#2114.

Yes, I could quote it, but it more fun looking it up. :)

Back