Thread: found another recalll 1979 snowflake wheel

found another recalll 1979 snowflake wheel

Anyone know if the recall is still on for replacement?
    If so what are the details and what is the procedure.
    Thanks
    Vince

Vince -

Yes, the recall is still active. Go to the link in my signature line and search for "recall". You'll see several links to information about the recall.

Basically, you'll need to work with a dealer. I've most often heard that the dealer will want to see the bike with the wheel on it. They will verify that the bike VIN has not had a claim against it. I don't think a dealer will take a loose wheel, but you could try.

The dealer is supposed to give you a new wheel and new bearings(?) and probably remount your existing rubber. The issue that needs to checked is that the bearings will need proper servicing, including greasing and setting the preload. This procedure must be followed closely to ensure that the bearings are set right so they will last a long time. I've heard where some dealer just slapped the new rim/tire on and sent the customer on the way. In short order, the bearings failed because all they had was the light oil used for shipping/storing the bearings.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

We had two replaced from 1979 RT's..both replacement wheels failed..bearings..before 1000 miles..the dealer was really cool about it and BMW replaced them..we had the bearings replaced..the dealer picked that up for our trouble...and we were happy..not a big deal..the wheel does have to be on the bike..but as the admin stated..have the bearings serviced or if the fall apart when removed..replaced..or don't go anywhere very far, or remote. Ride safe.

19" recall

Quote Originally Posted by brokenbeemer View Post
    Anyone know if the recall is still on for replacement?
    If so what are the details and what is the procedure.
    Thanks
    Vince
    http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/19inchrecall.htm
    Everything you might ever want to know.
    Snowbum