• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

THANKS TO THE VOLUNTEERS from a first timer!

wellsvilleangus

This is my first year of attending BMW rallies and obviously my first national. Thank you to all the folks who put this stuff together! Tons of work, pretty much year long committment of time, and sometimes a "very thick skin required".

Just a few thoughts: I spoke to several locals who didn't even know what was up at the Fair Grounds, did we work with the local Chamber and media? One example: Went to Walmart for oil to get a free change and they were completely sold out; manager was shocked when I told him why.

It might be nice to find a way to help "newbies" meet and greet each other and old timers. Would definitely help build the organization, offer an opportrunity to orient new people, and connect them to the community.

Attended the discussion and update of Forum plans: GO FOR IT ! Just remember us dial up dummies!

Cam said:
This is my first year of attending BMW rallies and obviously my first national. Thank you to all the folks who put this stuff together! Tons of work, pretty much year long committment of time, and sometimes a "very thick skin required".

:dunno What do you mean thick skin!

Best way to make new friends?

Wander around the campsite. Find an interesting bike. Stare at it for a while. Other folks, like watchers at an accident scene, will start to form up with you.

Offer those guys a beer.

Bingo! New friends!

:D

dave

Cam said:
I spoke to several locals who didn't even know what was up at the Fair Grounds, did we work with the local Chamber and media? One example: Went to Walmart for oil to get a free change and they were completely sold out; manager was shocked when I told him why.
It was more widely known than you may have realized. I ran into people all day long who knew about it, from all walks. Still, no big effort was made to make Lima aware of it, because it doesn't serve a big purpose; they aren't really invited anyway.
The local media/Chamber/Visitors bureau were all in on it, but again, it wasn't like the thrust was to attract the locals.
I'm sure the service industry folks were all quite aware of it in short order!
Finally, there were several large festivals in the area during the same time; Lake Festival, another big Rib Cook Off, a big Italian festival, etc. People are used to larger scale events here, especially at the fairgrounds. 8000 people is great, but the flat track races there pulls 22,000, mostly on motorcycles; they also have a Monster Truck race, big swap meets, and a fair that draws 250,000 people.

I would like to give the RV volunteers a great deal of appreciation. We arrived Thursday after the track day session and were taken to our assigned, prepaid space. Many were trying to camp in the RV section, which was clearly marked as such, but were asked to leave by the volunteers. We heard many threats by those but the volunteers kept a smiling face and worked hard throughout the weekend.

:stick
BouncinBob said:
:dunno What do you mean thick skin!
You know, like an eighty year old woman on Miami Beach...or when you try to bite an alligator...or when a woman with an upset stomach demands that the first aid chairwoman be summoned by security to open the first aid station so she can get an antiacid because she doesn't feel she should have to take five minutes and go to Walmart's to get one for herself... you know!..."Thick Skinned. " :stick :stick :doh

KBasa said:
Best way to make new friends?

Wander around the campsite. Find an interesting bike. Stare at it for a while. Other folks, like watchers at an accident scene, will start to form up with you.

Offer those guys a beer.

Bingo! New friends!

:D

dave
Now why didn't I think of that? I sewed myself into my tent on Thursday afternoon and didn't cut myself out until just before I left...I'm not a very smart man, but I know what beer is! By the way if we get a chance to meet over one of them bikes my favorite beer is: "FREE and COLD".
Thanks for the reply, keep up the good work, and yes...I am a sarcastic SOB.

:thumb
Mike_In_Lima said:
It was more widely known than you may have realized. I ran into people all day long who knew about it, from all walks. Still, no big effort was made to make Lima aware of it, because it doesn't serve a big purpose; they aren't really invited anyway.
The local media/Chamber/Visitors bureau were all in on it, but again, it wasn't like the thrust was to attract the locals.
I'm sure the service industry folks were all quite aware of it in short order!
Finally, there were several large festivals in the area during the same time; Lake Festival, another big Rib Cook Off, a big Italian festival, etc. People are used to larger scale events here, especially at the fairgrounds. 8000 people is great, but the flat track races there pulls 22,000, mostly on motorcycles; they also have a Monster Truck race, big swap meets, and a fair that draws 250,000 people.
Good points. Glad to hear we did let them all know. Still, any and all positive publicity for us "bikers" is a good thing.

Cam said:
:stick
... to get one for herself... you know!..."Thick Skinned. " :stick :stick :doh

My intent was that was a sarcastic comment. I figured you get it from my committee chair position....

BouncinBob said:
My intent was that was a sarcastic comment. I figured you get it from my committee chair position....
"What we have here is a failure to communicate". Yeah, I got it. T ;) hanks fer Gettin' it dun!

Cam said:
Just a few thoughts: I spoke to several locals who didn't even know what was up at the Fair Grounds, did we work with the local Chamber and media? One example: Went to Walmart for oil to get a free change and they were completely sold out; manager was shocked when I told him why.

a fella working over at wal-mart came up to garth and i as we were heading back to the fair grounds and said he was so happy to have us come through, said much doesn't really go on there besides the annual county fair and the business for the store plus all the cool bikes were defenetly a good thing, told us to come back any time we wanted, i thought that was pretty cool............

Back