• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hydration Suggestion

sickticket

2013 R1200RT Did my 6,000 service and stored the bike in my shed. Farkles: Darla lights, GPS, touring pegs, cylinder head covers, Givi top box and Hyperlites for the rear. Will send out the seats for RDL upgrades in January.

Prepping for Iron Butt runs next year and am looking for suggestions on the best way to carry water to keep hydrated. Camelbak packs would be too hot over the armor.

Any suggestions???

Thank you all in advance.

Camelback bladder in tank bag or Camelback mounted with your gear behind you.

Always clear the hose by blowing into it after you are finished having a sip. The liquid in the hose warms up rapidly in the sunlight.

:dance:dance:dance

Camelback . . . .

I could not have done Bloomsburg without a Camelback. It is a must have!
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Camelback bladder in tank bag or Camelback mounted with your gear behind you.

Always clear the hose by blowing into it after you are finished having a sip. The liquid in the hose warms up rapidly in the sunlight.

:dance:dance:dance

Excellent suggestion for location. I find it works well. Also, puff a little extra air in the Camelback just before drinking and you get a slight pressure feed on the water.

Linda T

My LD bike was outfitted by Linda T who makes anything you want for your bike. Check 'bike cover' along the left side of this link: http://customtankbags.com/ .

Picture the small bag it fits into attached to the left side passenger peg; on the right passenger peg is my hydration system - it consists of a fabric 'holder' with a retaining strap that a 1gal thermos fits into. I added my own tubing that is easy to disconnect when it is time to refill. Simply carry it in to the store, add ice, buy water and the ice is usually free; put the top back on it; place it in the holder and attach strap - your good to go. :clap

The two items are kept on the bike with the peg straps and 2 other straps that go under the seats and connect to each other. They are totally out of your way.

I fill my Camelback with Ice -

More accurately I go into a Fast Food place and order a self serve beverage. I avail myself to the ice machine, fill the bladder with Ice, and usually add either tea or lemonaide - both of which mix well together. Rather than being hot, I now have a cool/cold spot on my back..and this worked even in Moab, Utah in July with 104 degree weather.

Of course you need to repeat this procedure every couple of hours.

+1

works for me too!

More accurately I go into a Fast Food place and order a self serve beverage. I avail myself to the ice machine, fill the bladder with Ice, and usually add either tea or lemonaide - both of which mix well together. Rather than being hot, I now have a cool/cold spot on my back..and this worked even in Moab, Utah in July with 104 degree weather.

My badlands jacket has a pouch for a hydration bag. I needed to take the back protection pad out to make it comfortable. Plus I may have overfilled the bag.:banghead

I did the same thing last year on cross country trip out to rally. Only difference is I used a geigerrig hydration pack, which is pressurized so it is easy to clear out any warm water in the line. Check it out at www.geigerrig.com. Neatest thing since sliced bread. I have the 70 oz capacity model.

When I prepared for the rally last year, I purhcased a 70 oz Geigerrig engine and also a 13" laptop neoprene bag and also use plastic bubble packing material with aluminium foil on one side. Onece the geigerrig filled with ice and covered with one layer of plastic bubble pack and inserted in the laptop neoprene bag, the water remained cold for over 6 hours in over 100 degrees F.

This made my over 6,000 mile s trip in 12 days easy in the hot weather.

Back