• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMW Navigator V tips and tricks

The Search Near My Active Route is a great feature and one that I use often. Especially nice in that it only looks ahead and not where you have already been. By the way, this feature is available in the Z550 / 660 / 665.

Cool. I was wondering if that way in the other Zumos. I can say that it also works with the Zumo 350.

I found this garmin support page that indicates what the different usage modes do to navigation directions.
It lumps Car/Motorcycle, Automobile or Driving all into the same mode type.

The newest zumo model 390LM has the new 'Curvy Roads' navigation feature. I have not heard any reviews of it but it looks promising. I was hoping a firmware update on the older zumo models might make it available for them as well.

I found this garmin support page that indicates what the different usage modes do to navigation directions.
It lumps Car/Motorcycle, Automobile or Driving all into the same mode type.

The newest zumo model 390LM has the new 'Curvy Roads' navigation feature. I have not heard any reviews of it but it looks promising. I was hoping a firmware update on the older zumo models might make it available for them as well.

:banghead I think you'll be waiting a L O N G time for Garmin to do anything proactively!!! I have the NAV IV and I'm not very impressed.
Greg

bluetooth dongle

OK guys I am desperate to find a BT dongle receiver that works with the NAV V

I had Zumo 66X and an SRC from Schuberth but the darn GARMIN was Bluetooth connection was horrible most of the time so I switched to a wired J&M in my Schuberth and have been thrilled for a year now.

So along comes a new BMW and the NAV V and dammit if BMW doesn't exclude a wired output for the GPS.

I do not plan on going back to the BT setup since I enjoy having the radar beep in my headset and an FM radio from the J&M Integrtr and no batteries to charge.

SO now I need a BT dongle to connect as a receiver for the darn NAV V..

I tried one from Go Groove that had all the features that I wanted except that the GARMIN did not recognize it as a valid output for turn directions for some unknown reason.

NOW I am needing a BT Receiver dongle that works with the NAV V for direction.

Anyone got one working?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

OK guys I am desperate to find a BT dongle receiver that works with the NAV V

I had Zumo 66X and an SRC from Schuberth but the darn GARMIN was Bluetooth connection was horrible most of the time so I switched to a wired J&M in my Schuberth and have been thrilled for a year now.

So along comes a new BMW and the NAV V and dammit if BMW doesn't exclude a wired output for the GPS.

I do not plan on going back to the BT setup since I enjoy having the radar beep in my headset and an FM radio from the J&M Integrtr and no batteries to charge.

SO now I need a BT dongle to connect as a receiver for the darn NAV V..

I tried one from Go Groove that had all the features that I wanted except that the GARMIN did not recognize it as a valid output for turn directions for some unknown reason.

NOW I am needing a BT Receiver dongle that works with the NAV V for direction.

Anyone got one working?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

If all you want is the turn-by-turn directions, you can pick that up from the smaller of the two connectors on the OEM "GPS Prep" mount harness. I do this myself. It will not provide telephone or MP3 audio, but it 100% will provide turn directions.

I am pretty sure the Jabra Clipper that I bought will correctly receive all Nav V audio output, I have tested for the turn-by-turn directions and that works, but I would have to test the rest to confirm. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NZN6VU/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited to add: I remembered fooling around with this last year and found my ADV posts about it. The Jabra headset I listed above WILL also deliver media/MP3 audio as well as directions. It will automatically mute the MP3 when a spoken direction happens. I did not test telephone function via the Jabra unit or any other.

You could run a patch cord form the Jabra audio out to your system audio in. Since I care nothing about anything other than the turn-by-turn direx, I will stick with my wired connection to the OEM cradle. By the way, you can buy the mating plug for it from BMW. The plug is part number: 83 30 0 402 342

Emoto,

Thanks a million for the quick response.

A few questions.

1. for the cable 83300402342 it says it is a repair plug. I cannot find any reference to the right plug or how it works. Do I have to make the connector myself?

2. For the Jabra it looks like it uses the MICRO USB charger, but do you know if you can charge and use the "clipper" at the same time !!!!! 6 hours is NOT a long time of in the saddle time

Thanks a million for this response.

I just ordered one from Amazon and I had to get a pink one.... I will be styling fo sure!

Emoto,

Thanks a million for the quick response.

A few questions.

1. for the cable 83300402342 it says it is a repair plug. I cannot find any reference to the right plug or how it works. Do I have to make the connector myself?

2. For the Jabra it looks like it uses the MICRO USB charger, but do you know if you can charge and use the "clipper" at the same time !!!!! 6 hours is NOT a long time of in the saddle time

Thanks a million for this response.

I just ordered one from Amazon and I had to get a pink one.... I will be styling fo sure!

1. Loose plugs like that are always called repair plug or similar, from what I have been able to tell. You could look at a K1600 and find the one on that or maybe an RT, but I don't know why you would care. You will have to wire it to the connector of your choice; it just has 2 wires (if I recall correctly) coming out the back of it. I ran mine to a little socket, and then use a 3mm male to male patch cord to get its output into my MixIt2.

2. I have not tried it, but I believe one can charge and use simultaneously. i don't know that this Jabra unit is the best choice in the world (or not) it is just the one I bought, mostly on price. Bear in mind that you only need it for audio OTHER THAN the turn-by-turn directions because you can get those from the other plug mentioned above.

So, if all you need out of the Nav V is your turning directions, then just stick with the repair plug and run that somehow into your J&M system.

1. Loose plugs like that are always called repair plug or similar, from what I have been able to tell. You could look at a K1600 and find the one on that or maybe an RT, but I don't know why you would care. You will have to wire it to the connector of your choice; it just has 2 wires (if I recall correctly) coming out the back of it. I ran mine to a little socket, and then use a 3mm male to male patch cord to get its output into my MixIt2.

2. I have not tried it, but I believe one can charge and use simultaneously. i don't know that this Jabra unit is the best choice in the world (or not) it is just the one I bought, mostly on price. Bear in mind that you only need it for audio OTHER THAN the turn-by-turn directions because you can get those from the other plug mentioned above.

So, if all you need out of the Nav V is your turning directions, then just stick with the repair plug and run that somehow into your J&M system.

I will try the Jabra first as it would be nice to have all my audio except my iPhone run thru the same source. Load up the NAV V with MP3, plug the Jabra into the charger and then I get one source for music and direction.

I still might try the wired version. so you are saying that I need to make something like this?

IMG_0844.jpg

But maybe it is MONO since it is only two wires?

I will try the Jabra first as it would be nice to have all my audio except my iPhone run thru the same source. Load up the NAV V with MP3, plug the Jabra into the charger and then I get one source for music and direction.

I still might try the wired version. so you are saying that I need to make something like this?

View attachment 43916

But maybe it is MONO since it is only two wires?

Sorry, I was not being clear: NO MP3 or other "media" or telephone audio will come out the GPS Prep mount small connector. Only directions. I have confirmed this empirically.

I think the directions are mono,but wouldn't bet money.

IOW: BT give you all audio. Wire from harness give you only directions audio.

Sorry, I was not being clear: NO MP3 or other "media" or telephone audio will come out the GPS Prep mount small connector. Only directions. I have confirmed this empirically.

I think the directions are mono,but wouldn't bet money.

IOW: BT give you all audio. Wire from harness give you only directions audio.

Emoto, thanks for the clarification, but I think you explained it right the first time.

Wired = directions only
BT = Directions and MP3

thanks again.... you are the MAN!!!

For a quick question, can I not just TAP into the wires for the wired audio out and wire to a female 3.5 mm? this way we would not have to purchase the $25 connector from BMW?

Paul

Emoto, thanks for the clarification, but I think you explained it right the first time.

Wired = directions only
BT = Directions and MP3

thanks again.... you are the MAN!!!

For a quick question, can I not just TAP into the wires for the wired audio out and wire to a female 3.5 mm? this way we would not have to purchase the $25 connector from BMW?

Paul

Ok,great.

Yes, you absolutely could do that, if you want. Use whatever kind of jack you like best with your system, don't let my choice influence you; I used parts I had on hand. (except the repair plug which I bought)

Missing phone audio

...When a call comes in via iPhone/sena10 I see that I am getting a call and the caller # on the NavV screen...but when I try to accept the call it just goes quiet...I don't hear anything....and I don't think they hear me...???

Hi,

I just signed up on this forum because I saw your post. Until now, I thought I was the only one having the problem you describe. I have the K16GT, and am using the Sena SMH10, Nav V, and a Samsung Galaxy S4. I tried setting mine up different ways, but nothing seemed to fix the problem with the missing phone audio. Sometimes an incoming call works. Sometimes only the 1st call works, and subsequent calls have no audio after I answer. I have found that if I do a hard reset (press the power button for about 5 sec.) that it comes up working and I can use the phone. But after cycling bike power, which also cycles Nav power, it's broken again.

Have you found a fix for this?

Ok,great.

Yes, you absolutely could do that, if you want. Use whatever kind of jack you like best with your system, don't let my choice influence you; I used parts I had on hand. (except the repair plug which I bought)

Emoto,

Thanks a million for your help.

I got the BMW cable and wired in a Radio Shack mono plug to my J&M and I think I am all set.

I did not have a mono cable so I had to order one online that should be here in a few days, but I did test the output using a headset and it seems to work.

One small question. It seems that when I power up the bike I need to press the mute button on and off to get the output thru the new jack/cable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

Hi,

I just signed up on this forum because I saw your post. Until now, I thought I was the only one having the problem you describe. I have the K16GT, and am using the Sena SMH10, Nav V, and a Samsung Galaxy S4. I tried setting mine up different ways, but nothing seemed to fix the problem with the missing phone audio. Sometimes an incoming call works. Sometimes only the 1st call works, and subsequent calls have no audio after I answer. I have found that if I do a hard reset (press the power button for about 5 sec.) that it comes up working and I can use the phone. But after cycling bike power, which also cycles Nav power, it's broken again.

Have you found a fix for this?
Whatever it takes :D your here-Welcome!
Gary

Loss of phone call audio: May be on to something

I may have figured out the problem I was having with loss of phone call audio. Normally, immediately after I pair the Nav V and the phone, I get a popup on the phone that asks if I want to make my phone contacts available to the Nav. Until today, I would check the box that says "Don't ask me again", and then press "Yes". Well, tonight, after unpairing everything for about the 20th time and starting all over, I was having good success with phone calls working fine. Then, I looked at my phone, and the popup was there - maybe I just hadn't seen it earlier. So I answered it in the same manner as above, and the phone call audio went back to being broken. So, I thought maybe this transferring of the phone contacts database is related to the problem!

So, unpair everything again, and pair it all up again. This time, the popup for the contacts shows up as soon as I pair the Nav and the phone, and this time, I check the box (Don't ask me again), but I select Cancel instead of Yes. And the entire phone call process has been working fine ever since.

I have over 300 contacts in my database, and they are all in my GMail account, which is synced to my phone. So if the issue is really related to the contacts, perhaps it's the large number of them, or maybe it's because there is a field in the phone contacts that breaks something in the Nav. But all I know right now is that it works.

The only downside now is that I can't lookup people within the Nav to call them - I have to know their phone number, which will mean looking it up on my phone. Also, if someone calls me, their name won't appear anymore - only their phone number.

At least now I have something I can discuss with Garmin and ask if they know about it, and also see if there's a fix. If not, I will ask for a problem report to be filed and ask them to look into a resolution.

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers!

Emoto,

Thanks a million for your help.

I got the BMW cable and wired in a Radio Shack mono plug to my J&M and I think I am all set.

I did not have a mono cable so I had to order one online that should be here in a few days, but I did test the output using a headset and it seems to work.

One small question. It seems that when I power up the bike I need to press the mute button on and off to get the output thru the new jack/cable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

Glad it was helpful. I have not noticed this behavior. In my case, if I tell it to navigate a route or if I "find" a destination and tell it to take me there, the audio comes out the jack without need of me doing anything like muting or unmuting.

Last Ride Analyzer

Not sure if this has been covered...Question about the 'My Motorcycle Last Ride Analyzer' info when NAV is disconnected, some of the info is self explanatory but not so with some of the 'Statistics' like:
- Gear shifts ? I suppose that is how many shifts, i have about 1800 miles on the bike a little over 10,000 shifts. What is this info for?
- Avg Throttle Position = 10% ?
- front brakes = 2123 ? How many times applied? Mm wear?
- rear brakes = 4002 ?

Any idea what this info is used for?

Last Ride Analyze NOT on the RT-W

I have used the Nav V on a 2014 GSW and there is more information available regarding "My Motorcycle".
Much more, since that option does not even show on the RTW. In fact, it seems like the display on the Nav V, when connected to the RT, still thinks it is connected to the GS.

Things like "Trip A" and "Trip B" show up, even though those options are not available on the RT. The information on the Nav V cannot be zeroed either.

Any information on the RT's software that makes this connect incorrectly because I sure did like seeing the information that "My Motorcycle" displayed when it was connected to the GS?

Custom routes

I tend to use the automotive profile for everything. I find it more predictable. When I have tried the motorcycle profile, I don't like the routes it chooses.
Having said that, I plan ALL of my tours and day rides as "routes" in BaseCamp with shaping points to put me onto the roads I want to be on, then push those routes to the GPS. You cannot rely on the GPS unit to pick good motorcycle roads. They are fine for "take me to the hotel at 123 main st." but that's about it.

I have used Google Maps to route a trip, converted the route to GPX and then transferred it to my old Garmin Nuvi. When I tried to do that on the Nav V it didn't work. I was able to get the file on the Nav but it didn't do the route, only the start and end points. Has anyone used Google Maps to plan their routes?

Thanks,

I have used Google Maps to route a trip, converted the route to GPX and then transferred it to my old Garmin Nuvi. When I tried to do that on the Nav V it didn't work. I was able to get the file on the Nav but it didn't do the route, only the start and end points. Has anyone used Google Maps to plan their routes?

Thanks,

Hi Mary....I remember reading a few days ago on here where others were having the same problem. I think since Google Maps changed to "My Maps" there are a couple extra steps you have to take to convert the file. And the overall consensus was it is more of a hassle as opposed to using Basecamp. I have found some good info from this link http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70681-Learn-Garmin-BaseCamp-(for-Beginners)-at-the-beginner-level-and-move-forward as I also originally only wanted to use Google Maps. I think I am going to phase away from that plan though.

Back