• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New BMW Navigator V tips and tricks

moamark

Hi all,
Sorry if this is redundant but I am a new user and couldn't find a thread on this topic. Please point me in the right direction if there is already. I am trying to figure out all the features on my Navigator V in conjunction with my 2014 GSW.

The manual is very light and I can't find any info in particular on voice commands...if there are. When you use the left hand controller you can get to a window that shows if you press and hold next to the "speak" indicator you would think it would lead to a voice command menu...but to no avail...it just leads back to the map.

I am also not having any luck with using the iphone through the NavV even though it is paired up with my Sena10 and iPhone yet I see the call coming in on the screen but when I press to answer there is no call sound. Maybe this is somehow related to the voice commands and the mic not working???

There are so many features that I look forward to using and hope we can all learn together on this new device...someone want to hold a class???

Welcome to the forum! Your topic in not redundant at all. We have quite a few members who are real good at this kind of thing. Just hang in a while, I'm sure you can get some help.
Gary

My experience has been that the "Speak" command is only active when navigating a route. If you push Speak while navigating a route, it will give you the current or next voice instruction. For example, let's say you made a route that puts you on the highway for 10 miles and then takes you off at Exit 5. When following that route and say you just got on the highway, pressing Speak will get you an instruction like "in 9.8 miles, take Exit 5, on right".

speak for navigation but where are the voice commands?

My experience has been that the "Speak" command is only active when navigating a route. If you push Speak while navigating a route, it will give you the current or next voice instruction. For example, let's say you made a route that puts you on the highway for 10 miles and then takes you off at Exit 5. When following that route and say you just got on the highway, pressing Speak will get you an instruction like "in 9.8 miles, take Exit 5, on right".

Ok that makes sense based on the fact that when i push the speak command it takes me back to the map and a voice says "ready to navigate"

BUT isn't there the function of voice commands for the NavV?

Ok that makes sense based on the fact that when i push the speak command it takes me back to the map and a voice says "ready to navigate"

BUT isn't there the function of voice commands for the NavV?

If you are asking whether one can speak commands to the GPS unit itself, I do not believe that is possible. I could be wrong, but I have seen no indication of it.

If you are asking whether one can speak commands to the GPS unit itself, I do not believe that is possible. I could be wrong, but I have seen no indication of it.

The other day I was looking for something else online and came across a video that mentioned and showed a voice command that I thought was for the NavV. But I have not been able to locate that video again. Was it only a dream???

Sure seems like a good idea to have voice command so as not to be fidgeting with your hands while riding to find a location or activate a certain function.

The other day I was looking for something else online and came across a video that mentioned and showed a voice command that I thought was for the NavV. But I have not been able to locate that video again. Was it only a dream???

Sure seems like a good idea to have voice command so as not to be fidgeting with your hands while riding to find a location or activate a certain function.

Well, I can't say 100% because I don't do anything with my own voice while on the bike, except maybe sing along with my iPod, but nothing in any of the menus (and I may have explored most of them by now) seem to indicate anything about voice control of the GPS unit.

Here is the manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6qnkx3wu16zmjn/OM_EN.pdf
I'm not really seeing anything in there about controlling the GPS by voice. Again, I could be wrong, but I am just not seeing it listed anywhere.

Maybe you saw a video of someone taking a bluetooth phone call?

iPhone/Sena10 taking calls via NavV

Well, I can't say 100% because I don't do anything with my own voice while on the bike, except maybe sing along with my iPod, but nothing in any of the menus (and I may have explored most of them by now) seem to indicate anything about voice control of the GPS unit.

Here is the manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6qnkx3wu16zmjn/OM_EN.pdf
I'm not really seeing anything in there about controlling the GPS by voice. Again, I could be wrong, but I am just not seeing it listed anywhere.

Maybe you saw a video of someone taking a bluetooth phone call?

Well I have been wrong in the past about something...forgot what it was;-)

But your comment about the bluetooth and taking a call was another issue I was trying to resolve.

When a call comes in via iPhone/sena10 I see that I am getting a call and the caller # on the NavV screen...but when I try to accept the call it just goes quiet...I don't hear anything....and I don't think they hear me...???

BTW...thanks for having this dialog with me...greatly appreciated!

Happy to help in any way that I can, but I have not explored pairing a phone with the Nav V. I just have no desire to be bothered by a phone when riding. Sorry.

Default routing question

Any ideas on this one?
I was at the dealer playing with the NAV 5 and noticed that the main screen has a little pull down menu at the top with a ?car? icon, a ?motorcycle? and something for 'Off Road'. OK we (the salesman and a couple of parts guys) figured out that 'Off Road' will route as the crow flies, but no one knew what the routing difference was between the ?car? and ?moto?. [/FONT][/SIZE]

These are my 2 questions that the BMW guys could not answer: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

1) Can the two profiles be set for distinct routing? Say the ?car? profile for ?Fastest Time? and the ?Moto? profile set for ?Shortest Distance?. This I can do with my NUVI. .
.<o:p></o:p>
2) What profile do I use if I am walking downtown NY or Amsterdam? Again, my Nuvi has a walking mode ....

One theory on the auto vs moto modes, was that IF you have the car cradle hookup, this will allow acitivation of the speaker...is that all there is my friends (pretty lame to me)?

Thanks! <o:p></o:p>

Any ideas on this one?

I tend to use the automotive profile for everything. I find it more predictable. When I have tried the motorcycle profile, I don't like the routes it chooses.
Having said that, I plan ALL of my tours and day rides as "routes" in BaseCamp with shaping points to put me onto the roads I want to be on, then push those routes to the GPS. You cannot rely on the GPS unit to pick good motorcycle roads. They are fine for "take me to the hotel at 123 main st." but that's about it.

I tend to use the automotive profile for everything. I find it more predictable. When I have tried the motorcycle profile, I don't like the routes it chooses.
Having said that, I plan ALL of my tours and day rides as "routes" in BaseCamp with shaping points to put me onto the roads I want to be on, then push those routes to the GPS. You cannot rely on the GPS unit to pick good motorcycle roads. They are fine for "take me to the hotel at 123 main st." but that's about it.

Thanks, I was hoping they'd kept the feature from the NUVI, which was very helpful and somewhat predictable for good Moto roads using the "shortest distance" selection. "Faster time" is almost always super slab. I know they have that selection but it is somewhat buried, I just don't know if you can set the default...

I'll have to play with the shaping points feature, but even when I plan a detailed route, I often end up modifying it on the go - always have a paper map open on my tank bag for the big picture and finding alternate destinations...

So you think there is no walking route preference also?

Thanks, I was hoping they'd kept the feature from the NUVI, which was very helpful and somewhat predictable for good Moto roads using the "shortest distance" selection. "Faster time" is almost always super slab. I know they have that selection but it is somewhat buried, I just don't know if you can set the default...

I'll have to play with the shaping points feature, but even when I plan a detailed route, I often end up modifying it on the go - always have a paper map open on my tank bag for the big picture and finding alternate destinations...

So you think there is no walking route preference also?

Now that I think about it a bit more, I realize that I just don't know, because most of the mode experimentation that I did was on a Zumo 350LM, not the Nav V. Sorry about that. I have not spent much time fooling with the Na V to find out, because I plan everything in BaseCamp down to the last turn. If I am out following a route and decide to deviate from it, I just go ahead and do it. I have off-route recalculation set to off, so that I can pick up my route again later if I like and it won't have changed. I always have a paper map on my tank bag, too, for the big picture.

You can set avoidances (like avoiding highway or dirt roads) so there is that. Maybe you will put the time in when you get yours to see if the moto routing is worth anything.

That would be real good. Any of the interesting/informative GPS threads that develop, I've been stacking them in the Best of Forum I posted-
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?54079-The-Best-of-GPS
Gary

Well, I was at the dealer today for holiday cheer and to check on the status of my new GS. While there, I had some time to play with the NAV IV, the NAV V and my own NUVI 500 and specifically compared drive modes and found (WARNING - I know enough to be dangerous so YMMV applies below):

1) The NAV IV has 4 modes: Driving (car icon) Motorcycle (Moto icon), Walking and Scootering (there may have been a 5th ?Walking? mode too ? don?t remember),
2) The NUVI 500 has 4 modes: Driving (car icon), Walking, Bicycling and Scootering
3) The NAV 5 has 3 modes: Driving (car icon), Motorcycle (Moto icon) and Off Road

The NAV IV and the NUVI 500 behave similarly from the WHERE TO page. You select any mode and (unless you check 'don't ask me again') you automatically receive a prompt asking if you would like to configure your driving mode for that setting. Choose yes and you can change the icon, the driving map view (3D etc.) and the ROUTE PREFERENCES. For any of the motorized vehicle modes, your choices for preferences are the Faster Time, Shorter Distance or OFF Road .

(My general experience with my last 3 Garmins, is that Faster Time includes super slab, Shorter Distance avoids super slab and OFF Road is a straight bee line.)

The NAV 5 is different in 1) only 3 modes (NO WALKING MODE or bicycle?WHY Garmin Why? WTF?):banghead and 2) that it doesn?t prompt you to configure the mode at time of selection. But you still can, it is just that it ?assumes? you already did this. The first time (or any time you want), after selecting either Driving (car icon) or Motorcycle (Moto icon) mode, you can manually go to SETTINGS > NAVIGATION > CALCULATION MODE and then select Faster Time, Shorter Distance or OFF Road.

I assume the algorithms for Faster Time, Shorter Distance or OFF Road are the same for all Garmins, but don?t hold me to that :dunno. I didn't experiment with avoidances which I normally only use when planning the route on the computer with Base Camp ( and I am not very good at it).

On the bike, I use Shorter Distance a lot and it gets me over eastern/central/southern US mountains on some adventurous high and narrow single lane dirt roads and gaps to connect up to twisty two laners great fun. It has also taken me up to places that I was beginning to regret, like the time at Seneca Rocks when I almost got eaten by cows up on Roy Gap Rd :blush but that is more of a campfire story for a later time...:buds

Anyway, as I said, I will have my Nav V in early Jan 2014 attached to that fastest and most beautiful Thunder Grey R1200GS LC :clap and I will then go out and find out what I am talking about?.

Best wishes for the holidays

I discovered some flexibility in searching when navigating a route.

Condition: You are currently navigating a route, and decide to search along it.

1. Click Where to

i-SqHGnvF-M.png

Then click on the Searching near box in the upper right corner of the screen.

i-57jbsSK-M.png

The Search near default is to search near your current location, however, clicking on this brings you to another screen that lets you select where to search. As you can see, it allows you to choose searching near:

My Active Route
My Destination
Where I Am Now
A Different City
Recent Destination
Saved Place

i-hf4BmsD-M.png

i-pqMPF87-M.png

(I included two images because the last choice could not be seen without scrolling down. )

I called up a route that started far away from my current location and ended even farther away, told the unit to Go (navigate it) and then searched for a steakhouse near my active route. It found one. I did not take the next step of telling it to go there, etc., but at least it seems like searching along the route is possible. It seems like there is a lot more flexibility to the searching than I had thought.

Nice to know Emoto, I am still waiting for my Navigator, as you know I have farklized it with an R1200GS attached to it. Appears that the whole package is in New York customs and will arrive with he 3 wise men.

Everyone is still sleeping around the EAP-house and I have a 6 legged turkey out on the smoker. Merry Christmas!

The Search Near My Active Route is a great feature and one that I use often. Especially nice in that it only looks ahead and not where you have already been. By the way, this feature is available in the Z550 / 660 / 665.

Back