• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Venture Portable 7.4 volt battery heated vests/gloves vs 12 volt heated vests/gloves?

rbryson

Earlier I posted a comparison between heated grips and heated gloves and many of you weighed in with some sage tips. Thanks. I was just about to purchase some heated gloves when I stumbled upon the Venture portable battery powered 7.4 volt heated gloves/vests at my local bike shop. I love the convenience of not having to get wired in. And, on my 1975 R90/6 I would probably need to upgrade my alternator to 400-450 watts (especially if I really splurged and got a heat vest). So, is there anyone who has had both the standard 12 volt gloves/vests that run off the bike battery and also the portable 7.4 volt gloves/vest that Venture makes? I live in NC, so I only need heat for a few months each year and I rarely ride more the two hours in cold/cool (30-45 degree) weather. Thanks for any suggestions.

Battery Operate Gloves

Earlier I posted a comparison between heated grips and heated gloves and many of you weighed in with some sage tips. Thanks. I was just about to purchase some heated gloves when I stumbled upon the Venture portable battery powered 7.4 volt heated gloves/vests at my local bike shop. I love the convenience of not having to get wired in. And, on my 1975 R90/6 I would probably need to upgrade my alternator to 400-450 watts (especially if I really splurged and got a heat vest). So, is there anyone who has had both the standard 12 volt gloves/vests that run off the bike battery and also the portable 7.4 volt gloves/vest that Venture makes? I live in NC, so I only need heat for a few months each year and I rarely ride more the two hours in cold/cool (30-45 degree) weather. Thanks for any suggestions.

I've been using both a pair of battery (lithium ion rechargable) gloves and long sleeve base layer for the last 2 years and has kept me toasty:thumb. The batteries last about 2 1/2 hrs on hi (100%power) about 6 hrs on med (50% power) and about 9hrs on low (25% power). I too do not want to put to much on the charging system of my 1983 R80RT and like the fact that me and the bike are not attached by electrical cords. Here in CT it stays colder longer that in NC. If you need any more info let me know.
Jeff W.
Happy and Healthy Holidays!

The reason you mentioned (wires to connect) is why I use my heated glove inserts. They contain their own batteries, are very thin (almost like silk liners), can easily fit in a glove, and last a couple of hours on medium heat. I also have heated grips, but they never could get my finger tips warm enough. I do use a wired heated vest, and I often forget to disconnect it from the bike when I step off. So far, I have not damaged it or the wiring.

Wayne

Back