• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another California Coast Ride.

I

ian408

A friend up from LA for the MotoGP stopped in to look at a used K bike at
Cal BMW. Saturday, he flew up to pick the bike up. A great looking 1998
K1200RS with only 16K miles on it.

Saturday morning, I met Jerry at San Jose International. His flight was right
on time. A quick drive up the 101 and I dropped him at Cal BMW in Mountain
View then ran home and grabbed the RT. By 10:30, we'd met up with Roy
and were on our way North.

Our route took us through San Francisco, across the Golden Gate and into
Petaluma.

Here we are the GGB Vista Point.

29627350-M.jpg

Valley Ford Road takes us all the way to Bodega Bay where we stop for a bite
at The Tides. Nice place. Has a bar, full sit down restaurant and a "snack"
bar where we grabbed Calamari, prawns and other goodies.

29627359-M.jpg

Satiated, we head North, up the rugged California Coast stopping at the Stewart's
Point General Store. If you're in the neighborhood, this place probably hasn't
change too much since 1868.

29627364-M-1.jpg

The store is also at the junction of Stewarts Point/Skaggs Springs Road which
will take you all the way back to Geyesville/128 via a twisty little road.

As we rode North, we passed the little towns of Albion, Little River and Finally
Mendocino. We stopped for some culture at a film festival. Here we met Mike, a
K bike owner. Mike lives in the Sacramento area and like us, was on the
coast to beat the heat.

Jerry, Mike and Roy take in the film festival party goers.

29627383-M.jpg

Pretty soon, a young lady in period costume asked us if we'd like to go to a
hat party. Fairly insistent and somewhat intoxicated, she said they'd be changing
clothes on a regular basis and that free wine was available. Now I can say this
but I cannot show you, the costume was rather revealing to say the least.

As it was getting late, we decided to run up to Ft. Bragg, grab a room and have
some dinner. Seems a few others were of the same mind and it took a while and
some negotiating to get a room (thanks Mike!). And in the words of the hotelier, "we
have only 5 months of tourist season" when trying to explain why the room was so
expensive :)

Next on the menu, dinner. The Cliff House offered the nicest view of Noyo Harbor and
the setting sun. So it was there we went. Food was good but the company was great.

Returning to the Ebb Tide, we sat on the lawn, enjoyed cigars and solved most of the
worlds problems--we'll get back to you on that last bit.

Next morning, the four of us headed up to Eggheads Restaurant for breakfast. If you
are ever in Ft. Bragg, stop here. It is well worth it. Trust us.

29627410-M.jpg

Couple of things. Back off on the coffee. It's from a local roaster called "Thanksgiving"
and it's like having a double shot of espresso. It was good. Very good. Best damn
hash house coffee ever. Next, Dorothy's Revenge was eggscellent. It's Eggs Benedict
with crab dish (fresh local don't you know). The pumpkin waffle with almonds is a thing
of absolute beauty. Just the thing to start the ride home.

29627416-M.jpg

Ft. Bragg is a lumber town where the lumber and timber industry jobs are fast disappearing.
This was a mill active up until just a few years ago. Now, it's mostly home to Canada Geese.

29627397-M.jpg

Timber has left the area with a rich heritage. The town has a number of beautiful old victorian
homes.

29627430-M.jpg

Here's a parting shot of the coast before we headed back into the heat.

29627445-M-1.jpg

Highway 128 leads you West to East along the Navarro River and eventually, into Navarro.
Here, we've stopped for a quick look at the redwoods the line 128.

29627455-M-1.jpg

A quick stop at this little grocery is a reminder that things are a bit slower in some parts.

29627467-M.jpg

29627456-M-1.jpg

128 eventually leads into the towns of Boonville (think Boont Ale and Anderson Valley
Brewing), Alderglen Springs and finally Cloverdale. This is the heart of Anderson Valley.
Known for apples as well as grapes and the small wineries that dot the road.

At the junction of 101/128, we said good bye to Mike and headed back down 101 and
eventually, home.

Just off of highway 280 is Crystal Springs Resevoir. It made a nice stop before the final few miles home.

29627462-M.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the journey as much as I did in telling it.

Ian

That's an awesome day! A couple weeks ago, I had some friends in from TN and we rode up 101 to 128, out to the coast and then back down 1 to here.

Looks like you didn't have fog, which is niiiiiice.

A bit of fog crossing the bridge (welcome as I was a bucket of sweat).
But otherwise, two glorious days on the coast.

Ian

Someday

Ian,

Someday I am going to make a point of riding my bike leisurely through CA and I before I do I will look back through your various reports and pictures to plan a route and sights to see. Thanks for the great report and pictures.

I was sorry that you couldn't be in Lima! :)

Back