• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 LT 1200--Coolant squirts out overflow tank??

Greetings LT people,

Had an incident with my 2000 LT with 70K on the clock. Was in Sturgis last summer going threw the Black Hills, pulled over for a rest and noticed 'smoke' coming from under my seat. Lifted the seat and the nipple from the overflow coolant tank was shooting out coolant, and it was spilling on the exhaust causing the "smoking" sensation. I do change the coolant about every 20K, and the level was correct at the start of 2013.

The motor was not overheated and I would say I lost less than a cup of coolant. Checked it over and have done nothing since, including not adding any more coolant. Have been to two BMW dealers and they did not have an idea on what may have been the problem. No problems since then, but it is wintertime now so good time to consider any possible fixes.

Have you had this happen? Did you do anything? My only thought would be to change the radiator cap as perhaps it is weak.

Thank You
Kevin Kelly, Iowa PH 563 452 4300
See you in St Paul in 2014

Coolant

Had the same thing happen to a couple of my riding buddies, it was the radiator cap on both of theirs .
Johnny

More precisely, for me, it was the gasket in the radiator cap. On the road, I flipped it over and all was well till I replaced it soon as I could. Mine only spewed when coming to a stop after extended riding while I was on a long trip. All was fine while riding because there was sufficient airflow. Once stopped, there wasn't, so there was enough pressure in the hot fluid to go past the gasket. If you actually do those regular fluid changes, perhaps you simply got the gasket askew one time and now all is well?

Greetings LT people,

Had an incident with my 2000 LT with 70K on the clock. Was in Sturgis last summer going threw the Black Hills, pulled over for a rest and noticed 'smoke' coming from under my seat. Lifted the seat and the nipple from the overflow coolant tank was shooting out coolant, and it was spilling on the exhaust causing the "smoking" sensation. I do change the coolant about every 20K, and the level was correct at the start of 2013.

The motor was not overheated and I would say I lost less than a cup of coolant. Checked it over and have done nothing since, including not adding any more coolant. Have been to two BMW dealers and they did not have an idea on what may have been the problem. No problems since then, but it is wintertime now so good time to consider any possible fixes.

Have you had this happen? Did you do anything? My only thought would be to change the radiator cap as perhaps it is weak.

Thank You
Kevin Kelly, Iowa PH 563 452 4300
See you in St Paul in 2014

You are filling it using the view window inside the left side bag, yes?

Coolant overflow

Thanks for all the reply s, I will replace the radiator cap and see how things go or maybe just carry it as a spare. I think it can be replaced without removing anything. I was riding with a Harley and since I did nothing, and it did not happen again the rest of the trip, I told him that on a BMW if they have a problem they just fix themselves.

Kevin Kelly

Back