• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RT ABS issues?

basketcase

What's that noise...?
I am pursuing the search for an oilhead and today I spoke with a fellow who has an R1150RT that he might sell.

He commented that when stopped the ABS emits a whining sound, and that the local BMW m/c tech told him "they all do that."

I've owned two K bikes in years past with ABS. Both of them clunked on takeoff when the modulator set, but none of them whined.

So my question is, "what about the statement that the R1150 abs squeals or whines?

Should I accept it as fact, or run the other way?

Whining ABS

Yep, "they all do that" is correct. You will hear them referred to as "Whizzy Brakes or Whizzy Bikes". Nothing to worry about unless it is abnormally loud when brakes are applied.

Last edited:
The difference is that the brakes on the 1150 are linked, i.e. front lever operates both front and rear brakes. Implementation involves an electric pump. You'll want to be careful first time you push the bike somewhere, as it feels like you have no brakes at all unless ignition switch is on.

Your old Ks had none of this.

You do hear a high RPM pump motor running, it does not sound like a squeal to me, more a slow vacuum cleaner sound. If you press the brakes harder it will load the motor and you will hear it slow down slightly.

If you still have the original black rubber lines, plan to change them at the earliest chance. They will fail.

The system requires tank removal to change the fluid and bleed the system. This is a good idea to keep fresh dry fluid with plenty of corrosion inhibitors in the system. This is true for all brake systems!!!!

To do it yourself I use the following instructions

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

This looks hard, but really it is easy, the instructions are wonderful. Hardest part is getting the electric connection unplugged.

The ministan tool is nice to have, beemerboneyard sells at fair price.

I bought Spieglar hoses they fit perfectly. I have no direct experience but any other brand should be fine, it is not rocket science.

I buy fresh soft aquarium air hose, and use my heat gun and a tapered punch to swell one end to fit the bleeders, this prevents mess.

Also if you still have the black plastic disconnects, get the kit from beemerboneyard and replace them and the hose. It is a good time to do in internal fuel filter too. If that hose is bad, you will want to replace it also.

Have fun, this bike rides and handles in ways that take a while to appreciate. The boosted brakes can be very touchy at low speeds. I use only one finger. Do not turn even a tiny amount at low speeds until you are fully familiar with them. IF you ever need to panic stop, then they are the best thing ever. Work your way up carefully, and prepare to be amazed.

Rod

You do hear a high RPM pump motor running, it does not sound like a squeal to me, more a slow vacuum cleaner sound. If you press the brakes harder it will load the motor and you will hear it slow down slightly.

If you still have the original black rubber lines, plan to change them at the earliest chance. They will fail.

The system requires tank removal to change the fluid and bleed the system. This is a good idea to keep fresh dry fluid with plenty of corrosion inhibitors in the system. This is true for all brake systems!!!!

To do it yourself I use the following instructions

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

This looks hard, but really it is easy, the instructions are wonderful. Hardest part is getting the electric connection unplugged.

The ministan tool is nice to have, beemerboneyard sells at fair price.

I bought Spieglar hoses they fit perfectly. I have no direct experience but any other brand should be fine, it is not rocket science.

I buy fresh soft aquarium air hose, and use my heat gun and a tapered punch to swell one end to fit the bleeders, this prevents mess.

Also if you still have the black plastic disconnects, get the kit from beemerboneyard and replace them and the hose. It is a good time to do in internal fuel filter too. If that hose is bad, you will want to replace it also.

Have fun, this bike rides and handles in ways that take a while to appreciate. The boosted brakes can be very touchy at low speeds. I use only one finger. Do not turn even a tiny amount at low speeds until you are fully familiar with them. IF you ever need to panic stop, then they are the best thing ever. Work your way up carefully, and prepare to be amazed.

Rod
Wish I had read this last bit when I 1st got my 02 RT. Had never dropped a bike before (crashed yes) when applying brakes on slow turn. Once you get used to them you don't want to go back to plane brakes.

Back