• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100RT mirror

JDOCKERY132445

OldBMWMaster
I dropped my bike today. first time. I broke the right hand mirror. It is Sienna Red. Does anyone have one lying around? I found one on ebay, but it looks as bad as mine. I don't mind some damage, hey it is a 19996.

I dropped my bike today. first time. I broke the right hand mirror. It is Sienna Red. Does anyone have one lying around? I found one on ebay, but it looks as bad as mine. I don't mind some damage, hey it is a 19996.

Been there, done that and could never find a used mirror. :banghead

Good Luck

I've had a saved search on eBay for a right-hand mirror for my RT for six months. Came with a big ol' scrape from the PO. Like you, I've seen a few, but none worth bidding on. Bondo may be the eventual solution.

I've noticed, by the by, that left-hand mirrors are considerably more available. Apparently they fall to the right.

Last year I didn't start looking for a right handed mirror until I had put the bike away for the winter. Found one in good shape, for a good price. If you don't ride much during N.C.'s winter, take your time looking for one during the off season.

Better still, buy a used RS mirror for the bike. Cheaper than a new OEM and more functional. :laugh:laugh:laugh

Good point. I've got a set of 1100 GS mirrors on my RT and I barely ever look at the original mirrors anymore. I did when I had no choice obviously but with my Ortlieb bag across the back seat for touring the low mirrors are partially obscured. Prefer the tall mirrors. The RS mirrors are more stylish though and look really good on an RT or a GS.

I sympathize with the original poster. It's heartbreaking when that happens to a bike you try to keep in excellent condition. Then you get the price on the repair part and you're really heartbroken! They are fairly heavy bikes, and top heavy to boot, so when they start to go, there is no way to keep them up. It's one drawback of the oilhead over the airhead, in my opinion.
Personally, I had no idea how lucky I was. My 1100 fell over a while back, (to the right, also) and only the lens broke. It was around $50 just for the lens repair. At $232 (unpainted) for that little mirror cowl, I believe I would have tried some serious repair work to the original. I hope the poster gets his fixed for a reasonable amount. Not everyone who rides a BMW is rich. Two things of note:

I was taking both fairing sides off my bike at one point, and had to remove the mirrors. I noticed that the previous owner had made some clever thin stainless wire pieces with loops on both ends that he put under screws on both the bike and the mirror cowls. If the mirrors popped off, they didn't hit the ground,(easy to do when you are removing them) or worse, be left on the road. I now see why he took the time to do it. It was much appreciated by me.

Second, I never thought I would be praising the virtues of the GS series for myself, but the more I look at them, the more practical they seem. A big reason would be the almost complete lack of the very expensive plastic that covers the RT models. They also seem to ride well, and offer a lot of built in protection for the bike. Maybe that is partly why they are, I believe, BMWs best selling model.

Two broken mirrors equal one good one

I took the two broken mirrors apart and assembled one good mirror. Inspection today was just in time. Mine expired Dec. 15 and there is a penalty for not getting everything done on time.

Good to hear you got it fixed. Nice going finding one in the nick of time.

I don't think my first RT lasted a week before I scratched up a mirror pulling it out of the shed! :p

Back