• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bing Jet needle clip retainer 78' R100/7

godfather

I just completed rebuilding my Bing Type 64-1 carburetors and when checking the needle position on the second carb, I discovered the needle clip retainer was hardly holding in position. When inserting the needle, it pushed the clip and retainer out of whack and they just lay there. I removed them to find a couple of the spurs on the retainer were missing. Apparently someone had been there before me.
I am going to order new one and wonder what is the trick to install it so I do not end up with the same problem.

Thank you

Edited this out -- I replied thinking it was a slide carb. I forget how the CV carb needle assembly works.

What you want to do is install clip in the tube all the way to the bottom, then push the needle into place from the underside. I have used the rubber eraser end of a pencil to bottom out the clip.

I just completed rebuilding my Bing Type 64-1 carburetors and when checking the needle position on the second carb, I discovered the needle clip retainer was hardly holding in position. When inserting the needle, it pushed the clip and retainer out of whack and they just lay there. I removed them to find a couple of the spurs on the retainer were missing. Apparently someone had been there before me.
I am going to order new one and wonder what is the trick to install it so I do not end up with the same problem.

Thank you

I am not sure if there were different designs used in these bikes, but could it have been caused by someone trying to "force" out the jet needle without rotating 90 Deg. to spring out the clip?

I see the little "star" washers are only $1.50 each from Max's.

I recently replaced both my jet needles and my needle jets in both of my carbs. Thankfully I didn't have any problems.

I am not sure if there were different designs used in these bikes, but could it have been caused by someone trying to "force" out the jet needle without rotating 90 Deg. to spring out the clip?

I see the little "star" washers are only $1.50 each from Max's.

I recently replaced both my jet needles and my needle jets in both of my carbs. Thankfully I didn't have any problems.

There are two types of clips and retainers used on this carb.
I talked in length with Rusty at Max's and the right ones are in transit.
Should be here tuesday.

I received the new needle clip and retainer from Max's yesterday. Incredible service BTW. Rusty rocks!

It took a bit of trial and error until I realized there is a shoulder near the base of the tube these go in. After I used a little extra pressure to move them past the shoulder and seat at the base of the tube..all was good. The needle went back in to position 3, with the use of a latex glove for grip, without any issue. Both needles are the same length and my first carb rebuild is complete. In spring I will know if I did it right.

Now, on to push rod tube seals....but not till after the holidays...too much going on.

Back