• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally thoughts

S

SCDorman

I'd like to add to the positive comments. Notwithstanding the t-storm and heat, my son and I had a wonderful time. I was pretty sure I'd have a good time, but wasn't sure how he'd hold up.

I remember Joecubana commenting in the Beemerville Tap...'We tell our kids not to trust anyone on the internet...'

but y'all are an obvious exception. It was great to meet all of my 'old friends'. I am proud to be among you.

One of Patrick's early comments...'Dad, :dunno the guy in charge of our volunteer station is wearing a hat with tiger ears and tail.'

He is now making a case for riding his own bike to Vermont...

and his new idol is Woodnsteel...WTF??!! ;)

Steve

It was wonderful to meet you and Patrick. I think that it is great that he came along. I wish that I had a dad HALF as cool as you! :wave

Wtf?

Steve, you have every right in the world to be proud of that young man. You are both true gentlemen and I am happy to count both of you among my new-found, long lost family. Hopefully, he'll get over that "idol" thing.

After our 500 mile trek home yesterday, Patrick is pretty impressed that you are going for the IB, BG (as am I).

Jim, thank you. I think I still owe you a few beers. We didn't get to go deep into Borox discussion...I have to tell you about my conversation with Eric Ambel after one show in Columbia, MO. Next time. (You know I was only kidding about the WTF, right? :) )

Steve

my thoughts

Had a great time started a week before at MidOhio vintage. Things we did:

1. visited Frank Lloyd Wrights's house Falling Water in Western Pa.
2. Saw some great races at Vintage..sidecars were super
3. Rode the Triple Nickle Rt555 from Zanesville to Parkersburg and Rt 50 across WVA... nice.
4. Hit a chicken and almost hit a turtle the size of a hub cap.
5. Found a great camping spot up by the barns...swine barn to be exact.
6. Had a majopr catastrophe..coming back from the liquor store during the storm..we dropped a 5th of Irish whiskey..$40 buck on the grass.
7. Met the Yankee Beemers..as a new member and had a ball.
8. Did the Laps at Lunch benefit ay Mid-Ohio.. $20 for 6 laps and a $10 lunch coupon... what a deal.
9. Rode 10 days with 4 sitting and did about 3,500 miles... super..
10.. man was it hot..... john shuck IronButt #31 02 GS

Hero

Hey Steve,

It was a pleasure meeting you guys at the rally....I am looking forward to Vermont....
I did feel kinda bad....I think the boys would have enjoyed it as much as Patrick.....

Here's a picture of his hero....

Joe

Attachments

• woodnsteel.JPG
    woodnsteel.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 355
I enjoyed talking to the 2 of you as well! Where is the next gathering for all of us, or do we have to wait for Vermont?

I have to say that I had one of the best times I have ever had at the rally. I knew what the weather would be like (storm included) since I live so close, and I had no idea you could get tents so close, meet so many new people and have such a good time.

I did several stints at various volunteer spots, some not scheduled, (including last minute stage time) and learned the secret to BMW rally success.

I would walk up to someone next to a bike and would begin a conversation and not once did someone tell me to get lost or they were too busy to talk. Conversation ranged from the heat (hey it is Ohio and it is July) to what was cool about the bike we were looking at to where are you from.

If you looked for the opportunities to meet and talk, it was an informative and entertaining time. No where else can I take a bit of libation, walk up to a campsite, say hello to a group of folks I have never met, get fed, share my liquor and beer, catch some funny stories, be able to tell a few myself, and then do the same thing over again all the way to my campsite.

I would have liked to have gone to bed before 230 am every night, but using the above mentioned scenario, I spent every evening admiring motorcycles, enjoying excellent conversation, and emptied out my liquor cabinet.

I would do it again next month, but my budget wouldnt allow it. I really enjoyed meeting all the folks from the forum, and those who arent online members YET, and thanks to all who volunteered to make this one of the best times I have ever had, anywhere, period.

SCDorman said:
(You know I was only kidding about the WTF, right? :) )

Steve

Of course.

About the picture from Joecubana, it is obviously doctored, I would never step in one of those outhouses at night when there are plenty of trees and bushes available.

Lines

Like most folks I expect, I stood in a lot of lines. However, I've never enjoyed standing in line as much as this event. I never failed to get into an interesting conversation with someone else in the line.

I had commented to my friend how refreshing it was to be able to leave somewhat valuable stuff laying around and not worry about it. Then I started to buy something in town and realized a number of my credit cards were missing. Since they were prone to falling out of my wallet I figured they must be in camp, probably in the tent. I rushed back and they weren't in the tent. Then I looked at the camp chair where I'd been sitting and there they were. They had been there for oven an hour with dozens of people walking by and no one bothered them. Then I met one of our neighbors as I was leaving and he asked if I got my credit cards. They had seen them there and were keeping an eye on them. There aren't too many events with 8,000 people around where that would happen.

LR

BradfordBenn said:
So what did you tell him?

1. "It's easy to find him that way."
2. "Remember to have tolerance of those whose belief systems differ from ours."
3. "Chicks dig it."

Steve

Long Rider said:
Like most folks I expect, I stood in a lot of lines. However, I've never enjoyed standing in line as much as this event. I never failed to get into an interesting conversation with someone else in the line.

I had commented to my friend how refreshing it was to be able to leave somewhat valuable stuff laying around and not worry about it. Then I started to buy something in town and realized a number of my credit cards were missing. Since they were prone to falling out of my wallet I figured they must be in camp, probably in the tent. I rushed back and they weren't in the tent. Then I looked at the camp chair where I'd been sitting and there they were. They had been there for oven an hour with dozens of people walking by and no one bothered them. Then I met one of our neighbors as I was leaving and he asked if I got my credit cards. They had seen them there and were keeping an eye on them. There aren't too many events with 8,000 people around where that would happen.

LR

I agree! I can't believe how many nice people we met. Even the vendors were above and beyond nice. Plus, it's really nice to be at such a big event and not worry about your stuff. Glad you found your credit cards. Just goes to show you there are still some good people in this world. Fortunately for us, over 8,000 of them were at the Rally!!! :clap

Back