• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Protecting Bridge/Arch on step-through?

mikemill

My wife and I are scuffing the top of cover (name?) when we "step through".
Anyone have any ideas/suggestions.
I know "lift your leg higher" is one, but inherently we lift as high as we think should be necessary but occasionally our shoes hit bottom as we step through. Starting to see scuff marks on the paint :>(

Is there an after market product I wonder?

So far after only 400 miles, I am very happy with the scooter (C650GT)
The low COG and the auto clutch is a dream.
I can balance the bike at very low speeds and am gaining more and more confidence with every trip.

At the Bike School they are so insistent on learning to slip the clutch to control the bike at low speeds.
Something I never did when I was younger and always on my bike.
I just wonder if they would allow my wife and/or others to do the test on the C650?

Regards of the season to all.
Mike.

Mike
Clear wrap, to cover the center tunnel and have it done professionally cost is about $100 us, add another $50 for the headlamp
Or trade for a 14 model, center covered in vinyl and redesigned fuel door

There is a 3M product that I use called ScotchCal. It's a thick adhesive backed plastic that I use on the running boards (rocker panels) of my vehicles. If it's something you like and are going to install, I'd be happy to give you some tips.
OM

Thank you both for responding and the suggestions.

I looked up the Scotchcal and it appears the way to go.
I will take the advise offered on some websites and make a paper template etc.
It sounds very similar to the routine (ie wetting) for placing large vinyl labels on the side of boats.

Mike.

It sounds very similar to the routine (ie wetting) for placing large vinyl labels on the side of boats.

Mike.
You got it :thumb A little dishwashing soap in the water, ready to roll. It would be kinda neat if you could do some pictures. It would give the Scooter forum a boost!
OM

I've had ScotchCal on the filler cover and the U-shaped piece that surrounds it for about six months. Though it does help with scuffs, it's susceptible to being nicked from boots or other objects. Mine looks a little beat up right now so I'll probably reapply in the spring. Not sure if it's worth it. Perhaps just keeping those parts well-waxed (to aid in cleanup) would be a better plan. At least I kept the templates I cut out so it'll be easier next time.

Wondering if the black plastic guard for the 2014, would fit the 13 models?
We tried the 3m spray on my wife's GT, didn't work out, so removed it and apply wax weekly

Wondering if the black plastic guard for the 2014, would fit the 13 models?
We tried the 3m spray on my wife's GT, didn't work out, so removed it and apply wax weekly

I'd guess so but not sure I'd pop $150 for the two parts. Of course, that's for the '13s painted parts. The black unpainted parts should be less.

I agree with the observation that the tape then gets scuffed and nothing will clean that, so better to be careful, have it waxed well, and then you can at least clean it off.
I have thought of the idea of spraying truck bedliner spray on this area, probably have it professionally done (I think a bedliner place will do this sort of thing).
Didn't know there was a difference in 2014's, will check it out.

Gilly,
Their is some very thick clear wrap, if cut ti size would work and look good. If you spray bed liner your stuck with it. I would want something that doesn't grab my foot, as bed liner is nonslippery

Thanks for the note. The dealer did a covering and charged for it, it's like they never really gave me an option, like they had this guy come do it as soon as it was unboxed? And wasn't cheap.
I have a suspicion that a guy at work tried the bike on for size (even mentioned the handlebar was locked, duh) and gave it a nasty rub. I was pretty miffed but I have to work with the guy (and can't say 100% that he did it, I could have I suppose in a rush) and figured the tape was just doing it's job. But I can't get the rub mark off either and pretty sure if the damage was done on paint that it would come off, but nothing to prove that.
I still like the bedliner idea, I don't think the grippiness would really matter and I know if I drag a shoe across it, it would be unaffected. I have LineX in my truck bed and love it, I would see them. Not doing it any time soon. Maybe I'll just look at the '14s, LOL. Maybe they will do a few serious upgrades to it. I'd like to see the same bike with a bit more power and cruise control.

It'll buff out. :nyah
Just kidding, I know what you mean even when careful I have boot sole marks from stepping through so I've taken to kicking my leg over.

Hey not to hijack but . . . . anyone using the BMW charger for your C? So I think I need a Euro female to Ciggy male adapter however can you go through the accessory plug like an RT?
Hijack off and thanks guys.

Hey not to hijack but . . . . anyone using the BMW charger for your C? So I think I need a Euro female to Ciggy male adapter however can you go through the accessory plug like an RT?
Hijack off and thanks guys.

A long time ago I put a posting about an accessory plug in the top center of my steering column. I now use it for my heated mug, my heated riding gear and also charging my battery. I have a 15 amp fuse in line and connected directly to the battery

Attachments

• IMG-20121123-00006.jpg
    IMG-20121123-00006.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 110
Maybe they will do a few serious upgrades to it. I'd like to see the same bike with a bit more power and cruise control.

Well, it's not the same as a real cruise in that speed fluctuates on hills, but I've been running the Kaoko throttle lock on mine after reading the review on WebBikeWorld and it's a treat. Also utterly trivial to mount.

A long time ago I put a posting about an accessory plug in the top center of my steering column. I now use it for my heated mug, my heated riding gear and also charging my battery. I have a 15 amp fuse in line and connected directly to the battery

Wow that is slick. I'd like to see if I can work with the plug in the left storage box if I can.

Well, it's not the same as a real cruise in that speed fluctuates on hills, but I've been running the Kaoko throttle lock on mine after reading the review on WebBikeWorld and it's a treat. Also utterly trivial to mount.

Similar solution here, Throttlemeister. Gilly I thought the 650 pulls pretty well, what are you comparing it to?

I guess not a fair comparison to compare it to a K1200GT, LOL. I don't know, it just seems like it could use a bit more passing power. I'm not calling it gutless, for a 650 it does pretty well. But lets say there were 2 identical bike other than one was a C650GT and one was a C750GT, which would you want. See what I mean? Yeah i had thought of one of the 2 throttle locks mentioned, they would be a possiblity later on, this year I just tried to adapt to not having a cruise. Before the K1200 came along (K75S), I did have the friction screw, which worked better than nothing. Always had to at least try to remember to release that whenever anyone else rode it (which wasn't often), anyone riding it would warn me of how sticky the throttle was:rolleyes.
I'd like to figure out something better for the mirrors but am struggling with it, I will probably just get used to it, The K75 was good and the K1200GT had just a great set of mirrors on it way out front and way out in the wind, smooth and NO problem seeing behind.
Problem in trying to fabricate something is if you want to move the base to the outside, the body side panel is right there, so I'd need to go up and over the panelling. My older brother was a pretty skilled fabricator, I might have him ponder over it awhile. Oh plus the turn signal wiring needs to make it in to the base somehow too.

I'd like to figure out something better for the mirrors but am struggling with it, I will probably just get used to it, The K75 was good and the K1200GT had just a great set of mirrors on it way out front and way out in the wind, smooth and NO problem seeing behind.

The following is a mirror you may be interested in
Www.doubletakemirror.com
You would just need to fit another RAM mount on your bars

Nope, no good on that. I want ONE pair of mirrors, I'm not going to have mirrors all over it like a school bus or a Kenworth, and I couldn't see replacing the stock mirrors with these as the stock ones on a GT have the turn signals in them. I'll either adapt, sell, or figure out some way to get the mirrors moved out further that doesn't look like Krap. It's stored away now or else i would be studying it and getting ideas. From a pic i saw on eBay (selling a stock mirror) it looks like there is some disassembly possible at the base (looks like a nut holding it together with a compressed spring under the nut). No idea how this might aid things, would just take a little Yankee ingenuity. Still worried about how the wires could be routed, I can see how i could easily modify the mirror, but not the electrical. Would definitely do a DIY if I figured it out.

I have heard about some tranny kits that are being produced that are supposed to give you a little more jump but have had no first hand experience there.

Yeah, I've heard of those too, if the bike I have now hangs around I might think of doing that, IIRC it's weights or springs or something like that which a modification to the CVT.

Back