• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW bluetooth vs. Schuberth OEM bluetooth

sromaine

First, it's time to trade in the old K12RS for the K16GTL. Big step, but the pillion rider likes it and my knees are suggesting it's time as well.

I've never used a communicator aboard a bike in the nearly 40 years I've been riding. Ever. Never really wanted one. I've also never used a GPS, as I enjoy having no care where I am, until I need to care. However, it's also getting impossible to read the map on top of the chart bag. Now I'm being convinced to make phone calls and actually have a conversation with the pillion, rather than just a shoulder tap when its time to find a restroom. Wow.

Lots of toys on the GTL and I was told by my the dealer that only the BMW communicator is fully compatible with the K16GTL bluetooth.

Q1.. Does anyone know what functionality one would lose if they went with the OEM Schuberth communicator on the C3 Pro? The reason I like the Schuberth is it would take 5 mins to swap back to having no mic in the helmet, when I don't want one, and there is nothing mounted on the outside of the helmet.

Q2.. Is the BMW mic quickly removable?

Thanks for the feedback.

Lots of toys on the GTL and I was told by my the dealer that only the BMW communicator is fully compatible with the K16GTL bluetooth.

Q1.. Does anyone know what functionality one would lose if they went with the OEM Schuberth communicator on the C3 Pro? The reason I like the Schuberth is it would take 5 mins to swap back to having no mic in the helmet, when I don't want one, and there is nothing mounted on the outside of the helmet.

Q2.. Is the BMW mic quickly removable?

Thanks for the feedback.

Your dealer is correct, the main thing you loose by not using the BMW system is volume control on the handle bars. The BMW system is easier to pair up with the bike. Installing the BMW system is a pain, you have to dismantle most of the helmet to install it. So there is no easy mic removal.
We run the BMW system and when it's hot out we have Sena's on our half helmets. I prefer the Sena system for ease of operation, the BMW system's audio quality is far better. I'm not familiar with the audio quality of the Schuberth. We mainly use it for music on the road, when we get into town I'll turn on the intercom so we can figure out what we're doing and where we're going.

Thanks. I ultimately tracked down an article on this from Schuberth themselves.

http://www.schuberthnorthamerica.co...ews]=7&cHash=bda9055dca37d57b214fb3a8efdff781

Since Schuberth seems to have a close relationship with BMW, I wonder if they will get to the point where they adopt the BMW protocol so the C3 OEM communicator is fully compatible. Perhaps its BMW that wants to sell its own and won't allow it. In the end, the Schuberth system is FAR superior, as you essentially just zip a new neck roll in and out. Everything from the computer to the battery to the mic and controls are all integrated into the neck roll. Very smart!!

C3-pro here, I upgraded the drivers to Bose. Unbelievable sound quality, I'm now a huge fan! Wonder wheel volume would be kewl If BMW someday allows it, if not the SRC collar controls make it a pretty easy adjustment.

C3-pro here, I upgraded the drivers to Bose. Unbelievable sound quality, I'm now a huge fan! Wonder wheel volume would be kewl If BMW someday allows it, if not the SRC collar controls make it a pretty easy adjustment.

Other than volume control from the wonder wheel, are you getting phone, music, gps and intercom all togther?

Other than volume control from the wonder wheel, are you getting phone, music, gps and intercom all togther?

Yes but it's tricky, there is/was a sequence of order.

From my (probably poor) memory...
1. Turn off all Bluetooth, unpair any devices first if previously paired.
2. First Pair Phone (I use a Samsung S4) with your NAV
3. Then Pair NAV to the Schuberth SRC Comm Collar
4. Then Pair Phone with Bike

and somebody chime in if I missed sum-tin, like said, my memory has gone down hill now that I hit the big 40's :(

Yes but it's tricky, there is/was a sequence of order.

From my (probably poor) memory...
1. Turn off all Bluetooth, unpair any devices first if previously paired.
2. First Pair Phone (I use a Samsung S4) with your NAV
3. Then Pair NAV to the Schuberth SRC Comm Collar
4. Then Pair Phone with Bike

and somebody chime in if I missed sum-tin, like said, my memory has gone down hill now that I hit the big 40's :(

Im confused... no. 4 says pair phone to bike... phone was paired to nav. bike is not paired to Schuberth anywhere? ?

Bmw comm system
Helmet paired to bike
Phone paired to nav
Been over a year I could be wrong, no issues so far, fingers crossed
My helmet paired to wife's, hers is paired to nav on her bike, good intercom function up to about 400 yards!

I'm getting closer. Dealer won't provide a discount on equip after purchase of bike, so I have to figure out what I want now. Seems odd, particularly for our colder climate with little to no winter riding, but that's where we are.

Do either of these comm units have control over excessive volume? Remember, I've never really wanted, let alone used, a comm before. I'm imagining those moments, when your ear buds suddenly try to blow a hole out your head and you have to rip them out. Is that possible on the bike with a comm unit? ie. radio comes on while riding and you can't quickly get the wonderwheel to volume control or take your hand off the bars? Seem dangerous if I could.

p.s. the salesman isn't very knowledgeable, about a lot of things, if that isn't obvious.

With the BMW Communicator on each helmet, press the mute button on the radio and you have helmet to helmet communication. At least that's what I read in my RT radio manual. Maybe K is different, but something to think about.

TopSpeed, Boza drivers sound great. Specifically, What kind of drivers are they and where did you get them?

TopSpeed,

What drivers exactly did you upgrade to bose for the sound improvment?

Stay with your Schuberth. I have the C3 and just completed the pairing of it to the bike (for audio) and then from the C# to the Nav for GPS and the iPhone back to the Nav V if I ever need the phone part.

You won't be able to adduct volume from the wheel but this detail is not that important to me to invest in the BMW comm system.

Top_Speed1 - your all over the place!!!!!!!!!

You are so right about the sequencing being the key. I just did it today and it was easy only b/c I followed the detailed guide from the Audio users manual that came with the bike!

I have the C3 helmet - do you know if I can change to bose drivers on it? If so...how?

Sromaine.........

Don't sweat this comm 'stuff'. Just be sure you follow the detailed guide in the Audio Users Manual that comes as a separate booklet when you buy the bike.

Don't bother even using the radio or audio part of the GPS 'till you are 1000% familiar with how it works and what you need to do to control it.

With the new Nav V - you can direct yourself rather well without the audio - especially for someone like yourself who hasn't used a GPS in like for ever! With that large screen you can simply glance at it frequently to stay directed and on course. You also have the option (one of the 7 main menus) to zoom out (or in) for the Nav view!

Back